Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I wonder if the internet and social media have made "girls" aware of contraceptive options.

All of you who want to restrict access to the highly effective methods would be happier I guess if the "girls" just used condoms and had an unplanned pregnancy.
That's ridiculous. Do clinics have access to medical and family history? It's amazing they are willing to risk side effects without any parental consent.

But, it's good to know, time to have more discussions with the granddaughters, not only just say no to the drugs and the boys, but also to the school clinic. Talk with mom and dad first and get their input.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's ridiculous. Do clinics have access to medical and family history? It's amazing they are willing to risk side effects without any parental consent.

But, it's good to know, time to have more discussions with the granddaughters, not only just say no to the drugs and the boys, but also to the school clinic. Talk with mom and dad first and get their input.
Good question. I was wondering if the clinics had full access to the child’s health records or not. Side effects from hormonal birth control can be serious. I think far too many people take it way too lightly.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Good question. I was wondering if the clinics had full access to the child’s health records or not. Side effects from hormonal birth control can be serious. I think far too many people take it way too lightly.
Who is going to sign for the sharing of those records? A legal guardian would have to request that.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
See? Either or.

We aren't saying we want to restrict access to effective methods. Where has ANYONE posted such a thing?

WE should be the ones taking our daughters to clean, professional, known doctors to provide them that access - not some clinic in a school.
If you remove the school based clinics how does that not restrict access? The reason the clinics are there is to increase access.

So public health department clinics are unclean, unprofessional, and use "unknown" professionals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not one person has said: Restrict access.

But a lot of people have said: Do not do medical procedures on young girls without parental permission.

Kind of a big difference.
If you remove the school clinics you restrict access. Maryland law does not require parental permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

By the time they were 16 my sons knew their own medical histories and pertinent family history. The older one had been through three years of treatment for leukemia.

Has anyone discovered why the girl in the OP did not want to tell her mother she was going to the clinic?

Old 10-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Who is going to sign for the sharing of those records? A legal guardian would have to request that.
True, I guess they could obtain records if the parent signs paperwork during registration but that’s a big if.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
If you remove the school based clinics how does that not restrict access? The reason the clinics are there is to increase access.

So public health department clinics are unclean, unprofessional, and use "unknown" professionals?

If you remove the school clinics you restrict access. Maryland law does not require parental permission.

By the time they were 16 my sons knew their own medical histories and pertinent family history. The older one had been through three years of treatment for leukemia.

Has anyone discovered why the girl in the OP did not want to tell her mother she was going to the clinic?
The daughter probably didn’t tell her mom because it was too easy to obtain birth control without talking to her about it. Even if mom would have supported her, there’s no real need for her to do so. Who knows.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I wouldn't be happy if my daughter went and got a birth control implant without my knowledge. One reason is that her cardiologist has given us a list of medications she cannot have and one of them is estrogen-containing birth control. Another is that I am not wild about the idea of my 16-year-old daughter deciding to take a medication with side effects that is not easily stopped (except for going to a doctor to have it removed).

HOWEVER...

If she was hell-bent on having sex, then I'd prefer she be on birth control (a type that is safe for her, obviously) rather than get pregnant. She is aware of her medical history because she is not an idiot. What 16-year-old wouldn't know if she had a heart condition or some other contraindication to BC? They would take her blood pressure in the office and they'd ask her about her menstrual cycles and weigh her... there aren't that many contraindications to BC and those that exist, they'd either find out in the office or the young woman would know.

I'd want that for any teenager whose choice was to have sex with birth control or to have sex without birth control. Of course, most of us would hope that our 16-year-olds would wait or that they'd at least come talk to us about it... but if they didn't feel that they could bring it up to mom or dad, then these school-based clinics serve a vital role in keeping girls from getting pregnant long before they should. They are a backup option in case the best options (choosing not to have sex as a teenager, talking to mom and dad about it, going to your own private doctor) are not available for whatever reason. I see it as a safety net.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I wouldn't be happy if my daughter went and got a birth control implant without my knowledge. One reason is that her cardiologist has given us a list of medications she cannot have and one of them is estrogen-containing birth control. Another is that I am not wild about the idea of my 16-year-old daughter deciding to take a medication with side effects that is not easily stopped (except for going to a doctor to have it removed).

HOWEVER...

If she was hell-bent on having sex, then I'd prefer she be on birth control (a type that is safe for her, obviously) rather than get pregnant. She is aware of her medical history because she is not an idiot. What 16-year-old wouldn't know if she had a heart condition or some other contraindication to BC? They would take her blood pressure in the office and they'd ask her about her menstrual cycles and weigh her... there aren't that many contraindications to BC and those that exist, they'd either find out in the office or the young woman would know.

I'd want that for any teenager whose choice was to have sex with birth control or to have sex without birth control. Of course, most of us would hope that our 16-year-olds would wait or that they'd at least come talk to us about it... but if they didn't feel that they could bring it up to mom or dad, then these school-based clinics serve a vital role in keeping girls from getting pregnant long before they should. They are a backup option in case the best options (choosing not to have sex as a teenager, talking to mom and dad about it, going to your own private doctor) are not available for whatever reason. I see it as a safety net.

That’s the thing, a lot of parents would be ok with their kids getting condoms at school or even the pill but not with them getting an implant or depo or an IUD none of which can be easily reversed if there are problems. Some of the side effects are not great for even the healthiest of kids. The implant hasn’t even had clinical studies involving teens. There’s a lot of reasons for parents to object. I think that there is some middle ground here but as it stands, I think the system could use some tweaking.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

It doesn't restrict access if there are other avenues of getting what they need.

And I would NEVER send my child to a doctor I didn't know even to draw blood.

Why should she tell her mother if she doesn't have to? There's your answer.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:08 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That’s the thing, a lot of parents would be ok with their kids getting condoms at school or even the pill but not with them getting an implant or depo or an IUD none of which can be easily reversed if there are problems. Some of the side effects are not great for even the healthiest of kids. The implant hasn’t even had clinical studies involving teens. There’s a lot of reasons for parents to object. I think that there is some middle ground here but as it stands, I think the system could use some tweaking.
Yes, I can see that. I can see why they offer the implant or Depo... because teens are not known for having an amazing track record when it comes to taking the pill every day. But I also think that teens are not known for making the most rational decisions. In a perfect world, all teenagers who want birth control would go to their parents but we know that there are many reasons why a teen might not be able to. It's an imperfect situation. The risks of serious side effects is much lower than the risk of a sexually active teenager getting pregnant if she's not using birth control, so I guess that's why I'd prefer to err on the side of letting the kid get the BC and expecting the clinic (which I assume is staffed with doctors or nurses and not random people off the street) to use due diligence in determining what's safe and also in telling the teen about side effects to watch for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies