Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Trump's abandonment of the Kurds Betrayal or Smart?
Betrayal 123 63.73%
Smart 39 20.21%
Other 17 8.81%
Undecided 14 7.25%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,857,787 times

Advertisements

We need to divorce ourselves from Syria. It was never our fight and never should have been. Just because we pull out doesn't mean ISIS wins. Remember the reason ISIS got such a strong foot hold in Syria was due to our involvement attacking government forces. Let Russia carry the ball and foot the bill. The Russians absolutely know how to deal with terrorists.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,386,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Some people need to revisit their History.

Ho Chi Minh? Ring any bells? Yeah we had a deal with him that if he and his people helped us against the Japanese, then we would help them gain independence from France. Yeah we didn't keep our word.

How about Poland and Romania? After WWI we had agreements to help defend them if they were ever attacked. Nope broke those promises.

I can go on and on, but I made my point. The USA is always going to serve its own best interests first, or at least should.

Turkey is a NATO ally and has been for decades. They are also one of the more moderate Muslim countries in the region. Me I would prefer the Kurds over the Turks on a personal basis, but it isn't my call.

I suspect the only reason the left is upset is because it is Trump, if it were Obama we would be hearing every excuse imaginable. Maybe Trump should have blamed a Youtube video?

At any rate we should pull out of Syria as in yesterday. Pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq and let them slaughter each other in peace.
The flaw in your logic is this: How is it in the US interest to revive ISIS? That is what Erdogan would do. The Kurds hold thousands of ISIS prisoners and intelligence officials say he will release them. Erdogan is no moderate as you say. Erdogan has been growing closer to Russia and is a committed Islamist. Erdogan has purged the military of its secular members and has done the same in his party.

So the Islamic Caliphate is revived and is used as a base of terrorist operations against the US and Europe.

Pray tell, how is that in the US interest?

We'll be back there within a few years only without the Kurds to help us. Aa a matter of fact who would help us given that the word of an American president is now trash?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,754,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
The kurds are one of the most pro American groups in the world, more pro American than many our so called allies. This is a terrible decion, but the timing couldn't be worse. Trump needs a solid and united Republican party behind him. There is no Republican with military experience, especially in Iraq who will support this. You can't stab friends in the back.
Lol, the Kurds are not pro anything, other than pro "whoever we think will help us to our goal". It is the same group who sided with Iran during the Iran-Iraq War.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:32 PM

30,024 posts, read 18,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Now he’s being criticized for being too dovish...he just can’t win..

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/pat-r...syria-pullout/

Hmmm.................. isn't Obama the president who put the troops in Syria in the first place?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:33 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,754,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The flaw in your logic is this: How is it in the US interest to revive ISIS? That is what Erdogan would do. The Kurds hold thousands of ISIS prisoners and intelligence officials say he will release them. Erdogan is no moderate as you say. Erdogan has been growing closer to Russia and is a committed Islamist. Erdogan has purged the military of its secular members and has done the same in his party.

So the Islamic Caliphate is revived and is used as a base of terrorist operations against the US and Europe.

We'll be back there within a few years only without the Kurds to help us. Aa a matter of fact who would help us given that the word of an American president is now trash?
Better arm Assad and let him take care of it then, if we are so concerned.

Let Europe take care of it, if they are so concerned.

No illegal US occupation, put it that way. Syria did not invite us.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Almost every person in the know disagrees with him. No one is calling him dovish, they just think this is an extremely bad idea.

It's like if my husband accused me of spending too much money, so then I don't pay the mortgage, and then I ask him "what's the problem?" you told me not to spend so much money.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,857,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post

You seem to forget that the reason ISIS got their foothold in Syria was due to our attacking government forces.
Russia will defend Syria as they always have. Syria is not our fight and never was. It turned into the mess that it is largely because of us.

The flaw in your logic is that you seem to feel that we should be placing our sons and daughters in harms way needlessly. WE, in spite of the war hawks beliefs, are not the worlds police force.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well Turkey is our ally and for far longer than the Kurds have been our ally. Yes since 1952. So which ally do we chose? The nation or the band of freedom fighters? Me I like the Kurds and have never liked Turkey. I have had the misfortune of doing a few NATO dog and pony shows with them. The Kurds are at least a fresh face in the game.

You do suffer from revisionist history. We have abandoned allies many many times, when it suits us.
In fact this is not the first time we have “abandoned” the Kurds if memory serves...

Old 10-07-2019, 06:35 PM

18,336 posts, read 8,166,224 times
Guys, do you know this is fake news....again

Trump is not pulling any troops out of Syria....he's moving 50 troops to another base in Syria...within Syria...not out of the country

Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 6,820,968 times
Just jumped into a thread with over 100 replies. Did Trump makes this decision solo and spur of the moment or was there any discussion with DOD? And of course it seems like whatever he does it fits perfectly with Putin’s master plan in Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.