Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 AM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering this, too.

I'm sure the dems are confident enough they have enough votes...
Ok, I will help you out. Because if they actually vote on it, the President has a chance to call witnesses and it gives him subpoena power. They don't want him to have it. Maybe you can think about why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
The democrats don't want to.

Why?

Because they will have nothing else to talk about. As long as the discussion drags on it *looks* like they are doing something.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 AM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I have no idea how old you are, but one thing you should learn about politics is that it usually moves slowly. I remember being amazed at Trump's ignorance when he believed that the Mueller investigation was going to end by Christmas.

This will move even more slowly since Trump, presumably because he's starting to realize what trouble he's in, is doing everything possible to obstruct.
She couldn't call a vote right now? See above post. I am old enough to see through the BS.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Yet every single time there has been an official impeachment inquiry of a president there has been a vote authorizing it. If they didn't really need one, why has it literally always happened?
All two other times?

The fact is the House and the Senate are each free to define the process of "how" their respective portions of the impeachment process work.

Further facts - there is nothing requiring a vote for an impeachment inquiry to be "official".

Old 10-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Yet without it they lack the legitimacy to compel cooperation....which is why that kind of vote has literally always happened when it comes to authorizing official impeachment inquires of the president.
Incorrect, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
When Nixon was impeached, an inquiry vote was taken because the House committees did not have subpoena power. The vote was needed to grant those powers. Several years ago, when the Republicans held the majority in the House, they voted a rule change that gave the majority permanent standing subpoena power. Therefore no inquiry vote is needed today because it would be redundant, the committee majority already has all the subpoena power they need.

Nothing in the Constitution requires a full House vote to initiate an impeachment inquiry.
(emphasis mine)

Old 10-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Vote to impeach before the investigation that determines whether he should be impeached is complete. Yeah, that makes sense.
Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
You realize what you just posted doesn't help you right? It says

Has the house initiated proceedings by passing a resolution authorizing and inquiry? I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Don't just re-post talking points, actually read it.
You realize the meaning of the word "could", right?

The fact is that the Constitution doesn't require a vote for the House to start an impeachment inquiry. The fact is that the House rules don't require a vote to start in impeachment inquiry.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
If that's what you want, then they should pass a resolution in the House authorizing an official impeachment inquiry.
Says..... you?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:14 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I have no idea how old you are, but one thing you should learn about politics is that it usually moves slowly. I remember being amazed at Trump's ignorance when he believed that the Mueller investigation was going to end by Christmas.

This will move even more slowly since Trump, presumably because he's starting to realize what trouble he's in, is doing everything possible to obstruct.
What specifically is he obstructing?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What specifically is he obstructing?
His sorry behind getting impeached. And having his corruption exposed and whatever legacy he has destroyed. It's coming anyway. Probably by the ballot box and a bunch of books that will be written by former Trump admin officials.

Telling your people not to respond to a subpoena is obstruction. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies