Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ncer-diagnosis

Of cancer.

I don't like when celebrities or politicians (one in the same) share their sob stories in public and spill their guts out for votes. I don't know how close Bernie was to his daughter-in-law but it must have hit his wife's family pretty hard.

Either way after having a heart attack its cheap politics to use this as a sympathy vote and I hope he doesn't do that. Bernie has had the quality of not playing the same political circus America worships as 'democracy; but hopeful Bernie breaks off from Market politics and keeps his mourning to himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:02 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
He put it out there as he is in a fish bowl - can’t sympathize so it angers you ?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Of cancer.

I don't like when celebrities or politicians (one in the same) share their sob stories in public and spill their guts out for votes. I don't know how close Bernie was to his daughter-in-law but it must have hit his wife's family pretty hard.

Either way after having a heart attack its cheap politics to use this as a sympathy vote and I hope he doesn't do that. Bernie has had the quality of not playing the same political circus America worships as 'democracy; but hopeful Bernie breaks off from Market politics and keeps his mourning to himself.
Sad for anyone to die so young. And ironic that she was a doctor.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
He put it out there as he is in a fish bowl - can’t sympathize so it angers you ?
No, I'm not angry.

Bernie hasn't done anything yet. I just hope he doesn't campaign off of this for his political image like Biden did with his son pouring his guts out on Colbert.

I know Americans love it when celebrities and politicians spill the beans on their inside story but its just done as a marketing tactic to get Americans to ignore powerful institutions controlling their lives and tax dollars.

I hope Bernie keeps the mourning to himself and his family/doesn't make it public.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not angry.

Bernie hasn't done anything yet. I just hope he doesn't campaign off of this for his political image like Biden did with his son pouring his guts out on Colbert.

I know Americans love it when celebrities and politicians spill the beans on their inside story but its just done as a marketing tactic to get Americans to ignore powerful institutions controlling their lives and tax dollars.

I hope Bernie keeps the mourning to himself and his family/doesn't make it public.
Let the man do what he wants. He is free ! We live in a free country! Stop trying to control folks. I lost my son - I moved forward, went to work and mourned in a garden I tended - my friend lost her daughter - and she was a basket case. How are you going to tell folks how to feel or not feel ! Crazy !

Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
The Sanders family has had a horrible month. Condolences to Senator Sanders and his family. My cousin had the same cancer diagnosis, neuroendocrine cancer. It kills very quickly.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:34 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
The poor guy has a heart attack and then his daughter in law dies the next week. I have always supported Bernie, and now he needs our support more than ever. I hope if anyone has any mean comments that they keep them to themselves.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Let the man do what he wants. He is free ! We live in a free country! Stop trying to control folks. I lost my son - I moved forward, went to work and mourned in a garden I tended - my friend lost her daughter - and she was a basket case. How are you going to tell folks how to feel or not feel ! Crazy !
I knew a girl when I was still a freshman in high school. We weren't close, but she was really inspiring to me.

She lost both her father and brother in an accident one day. I'm sure she suffered a lot, but even after the accident she would always come to school with a smile and brighten everyone's day.

That is the type of person I hope to be.

Mourning is a natural behavior, even with people close to you. But it is insincere to go broadcast it out to the entire world while performatively screaming "look, I'm suffering".

It's done for PR reasons in a market economy where social capital can be exchanged for power and money. That is the nature of our public faced democracy; caricatures and marketed personalities promoting the same institutions that keep capital in the hands of the financial elite.

I'm not telling Bernie what to do, I'm just saying I'd be disappointed if he broadcasted his feeling using the media for political gain; hopefully his political consultants don't pressure him to do so.

Does anyone who suffers go to work and openly display their grief to complete strangers deliberately? No, because its not the behavior of a real person. It is the behavior of a politician or celebrity looking for more social capital to spend.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I knew a girl when I was still a freshman in high school. We weren't close, but she was really inspiring to me.

She lost both her father and brother in an accident one day. I'm sure she suffered a lot, but even after the accident she would always come to school with a smile and brighten everyone's day.

That is the type of person I hope to be.

Mourning is a natural behavior, even with people close to you. But it is insincere to go broadcast it out to the entire world while performatively screaming "look, I'm suffering".

It's done for PR reasons in a market economy where social capital can be exchanged for power and money. That is the nature of our public faced democracy; caricatures and marketed personalities promoting the same institutions that keep capital in the hands of the financial elite.

I'm not telling Bernie what to do, I'm just saying I'd be disappointed if he broadcasted his feeling using the media for political gain; hopefully his political consultants don't pressure him to do so.

Does anyone who suffers go to work and openly display their grief to complete strangers deliberately? No, because its not the behavior of a real person. It is the behavior of a politician or celebrity looking for more social capital to spend.
Say you. Again he is a politician - but deep feelings just come out. Will he exploit them? I do not think he is that kind of person - but as my friend hit the floor at work wailing - what you want anyone to do ?? And she’s Canadian/ do not the cultural way of mourning. It was just too much. Biden did not run, because he know his loss was too much to bear with a nasty campaign. My though is why does it bother you? And if he does express his pain, many understand. When we honor our maimed soldiers, we cry but we are proud they holding on. Many people would just consider him human. This should not bother anyone .

Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Say you. Again he is a politician - but deep feelings just come out. Will he exploit them? I do not think he is that kind of person - but as my friend hit the floor at work wailing - what you want anyone to do ?? And she’s Canadian/ do not the cultural way of mourning. It was just too much. Biden did not run, because he know his loss was too much to bear with a nasty campaign. My though is why does it bother you? And if he does express his pain, many understand. When we honor our maimed soldiers, we cry but we are proud they holding on. Many people would just consider him human. This should not bother anyone .
I'm the furthest thing from a cynical person but Biden didn't run because the field was being cleared for Hillary.

Letting out emotions that you can't control is not the same as deliberate timing and narrative building. Going on Colbert and preparing to discuss all his pain and anguish was exploitation.

The only people in real life who want to act this way in public and expose they're grief in public are those obsessed with attention. Crying in public for most people is embarrassing or at least not planned ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies