Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
What, Turkey does not have enough barren desert of its own ?
Exactly how much worthless desert are they planning on taking ?
And once in country who is going to stop them from just marching to Damascus at this point ?

The Kurds ?
Y'all know way more about the turmoil in that area than I do.....I'm just concerned that the actions taken this week were too quick, not well planned and thought out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 PM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Y'all know way more about the turmoil in that area than I do.....I'm just concerned that the actions taken this week were too quick, not well planned and thought out.
I know nothing about what the Turks hop to gain . That is why I am asking.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:08 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Maybe your not old enough to remember but during Vietnam, anyone with money or connections avoided those Killing Fields. Clinton, Bush Jr, Reagan, Biden, Sanders are all good examples. It was a war fought by the poor and lower middle class.
That was true of the US Civil War as well.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:12 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
I know nothing about what the Turks hop to gain . That is why I am asking.
It's a bit like the Basques in Spain. Kurds form 15-20% of the population of Turkey, and they have a movement to create their own homeland. Naturally, Turkey doesn't want to lose part of its territory. Hence they are working to suppress any action by the Kurds to create a Kurdish nation. I suspect the Kurds are hoping the US will do for them what we did with Israel: help create a homeland. Unfortunately, they lack a significant political presence in the US, so that outcome seems unlikely.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:17 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's a bit like the Basques in Spain. Kurds form 15-20% of the population of Turkey, and they have a movement to create their own homeland. Naturally, Turkey doesn't want to lose part of its territory. Hence they are working to suppress any action by the Kurds to create a Kurdish nation. I suspect they're hoping the US will do for them what we did with Israel: help create a homeland.
I support a Kurdish homeland. Is it feasible? Maybe not. But it's something that should be considered and discussed.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:27 PM

1,768 posts, read 716,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The Saudis line Trump's pockets. Apparently the Kurds have not been spending enough money at the Trump hotels.
Trumps done business with many countries over the years, and these are normal business transactions.

Meanwhile the saudis donate 25 million to the Clinton foundation. Obviously this was just for charity though.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:31 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Who'd have thought back in January 2014 that the JV would defeat the USA. When we go back, this decision makes whatever we try to do harder, with more deaths.
The JV that morphed into ISIS unfortunately remains active in Syrian deserts now nominally under the control by the government. It is regrouping there while Assad stands by allowing it free reign. Likewise, Erdogan as a wonderful US NATO ally did not - unless it was specifically to his benefit - confront ISIS even though it was operating not miles from his own border.

There is no reason to think that either Erdogan nor Assad are motivated to deal with radical Islamic terrorists that do not specific threaten them. That was the Kurds defending US interests. Why folks are relying on Erdogan and Assad is beyond me. Anyone who doesn't grasp the JV can again go big time is foolish.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:44 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
It is in U.S. interest to have Turkey remain a ally, difficult as that may be some days. Therefore it is not in U.S. interest to support a Kurdish state. It is in U.S. interest to have the Kurds continue to press ISIS. Therefore it is also in U.S. interest to broker the difficult relationship between Turkey and the Kurds. When one of the variables changes, then no doubt U.S. interests may alter. But until that day came - and it had not - to erratically lurch is not in U.S interests.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Just a side note, I wonder why we have sent 14K troops to the Middle East over the last 6 months?

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/10/11...a-troops-esper

In general it certainly doesn't sound like we are ending US involvement in the Middle East.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-11-2019, 03:08 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Just breaking: Turkish forces have now opened fire on American Special Forces in Northern Syria. There are casualties, it appears. See rawstory.com and newsweek online for more info and pictures.

Thanks so much, Donald - what a creative present you've given us. Never would have thought of it ourselves, in fact. The gift that keeps on giving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies