Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 04:54 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
'Diversity' has destroyed this nation. At least the form of diversity that has been shoved down America's throats the last several decades.

It's not about celebrating diversity and more about heightened animosities and tensions as each tribe is pitted against another.
Au contraire, diversity built this nation. It was an experiment that had never been tried before. There were Spanish, French, Siberians ("Indians"), Africans, Brits, Swedes, Dutch, Germans, etc. all sharing the same geography.

Overall it seems to have worked out well, having yielded the greatest nation on God's green earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Au contraire, diversity built this nation. It was an experiment that had never been tried before. There were Spanish, French, Siberians ("Indians"), Africans, Brits, Swedes, Dutch, Germans, etc. all sharing the same geography.

Overall it seems to have worked out well, having yielded the greatest nation on God's green earth.
Yes, it does seem to have worked out well, despite the fact that there were always established Americans who made up names for the newcomers, and didn't want to include them.

These slurs are archaic now, and you don't ever hear them anymore because we've moved on to slurring other groups, but the behavior was the same then as it is now.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:10 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Same wagon you’re circling. I said specifically. Which diverse societies produced which better art, science, literature, cuisine, music, sports, etc. than which homogeneous society? Which inventions, medicines, technologies, languages? Which diverse governments produced better programs, systems, schools than which homogeneous societies.

Can you even name one?!
America has been a cultural behemoth based on the strength of our diversity. In terms of reach and revenue, hip-hop culture is probably one of the top cultural exports from ANY culture in history. Or if you're old and don't want to talk about that (), jazz has always been considered one of America's greatest cultural exports. Both are the product of the melting pot of American Black & White culture.

Technologies & Business? More than 1/2 of America's businesses w Rev> than $1B were founded by 1st or 2nd gen immigrants. More than 25% of all businesses nationwide are started by immigrants.

Sports? America dominance in two global sports are owed entirely to the diversity of the people playing it.

Now compare all of America's achievements and the diversity that it was built on to the entirety of Eastern Europe with it's 90+% White Euro homogeneity.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

But it became a mess after the 1965 Immigration Act. We were no longer in need of nation builders. We were forced to accept every third worlder under the sun while Ted Kennedy lied and said it wouldn't change our demographics. We are over populated now with too much diversity, IMO. You can't compare the past to the present. Many "immigrant" groups don't even bother to assimilate into our society anymore and our nation is being colonized. This has created conflict and resentment.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But it became a mess after the 1965 Immigration Act. We were no longer in need of nation builders. We were forced to accept every third worlder under the sun while Ted Kennedy lied and said it wouldn't change our demographics. We are over populated now with too much diversity, IMO. You can't compare the past to the present. Many "immigrant" groups don't even bother to assimilate into our society anymore and our nation is being colonized. This has created conflict and resentment.
Well that's a curious statement. By "too much diversity", what exactly are you saying?

Too few what, and too many what?

Old 10-10-2019, 05:41 PM

8,337 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
America has been a cultural behemoth based on the strength of our diversity. In terms of reach and revenue, hip-hop culture is probably one of the top cultural exports from ANY culture in history. Or if you're old and don't want to talk about that (), jazz has always been considered one of America's greatest cultural exports. Both are the product of the melting pot of American Black & White culture.

Technologies & Business? More than 1/2 of America's businesses w Rev> than $1B were founded by 1st or 2nd gen immigrants. More than 25% of all businesses nationwide are started by immigrants.

Sports? America dominance in two global sports are owed entirely to the diversity of the people playing it.

Now compare all of America's achievements and the diversity that it was built on to the entirety of Eastern Europe with it's 90+% White Euro homogeneity.
The U.S. is quickly becoming a 3rd world country with its lack of immigration law enforcement. Ca. which was once a great state has 1/3 of the nation’s welfare recipients. If diversity is beneficial isn’t more better? Why don’t we push for 1 billion immigrants, legal or illegal from South America, Africa, Asia and elsewhere.

I do believe if whites had never settled here things would be a little different.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The U.S. is quickly becoming a 3rd world country with its lack of immigration law enforcement. Ca. which was once a great state has 1/3 of the nation’s welfare recipients. If diversity is beneficial isn’t more better? Why don’t we push for 1 billion immigrants, legal or illegal from South America, Africa, Asia, and elsewhere?

Let’s start looking much more like Brazil and the benefits of their diversity.
Have you been in a third world country recently? I ask, because I haven't been in one myself.

When I think of the most horrifically poor country, I think of India. Not very diverse.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Immigration and diversity are obviously related but really two separate matters. There are many other threads having to do with immigration. I am definitely in favor of metering immigration in order to ensure assimilation.

But this thread is more about the impact of diversity, which I believe is mostly positive. See post #1.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:04 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Diverse societies produce better art, science, literature, cuisine, music, sports, etc. Ideas and concepts are absorbed, and re-imagined producing new and better things. People from a variety of backgrounds need to be mixing and exchanging ideas and concepts with each other.
People from a variety of backgrounds from within their own people/heritage/race/cultural similarity are at their best and much more comfortable with each other when it comes to living and working side by side.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
People from a variety of backgrounds from within their own people/heritage/race/cultural similarity are at their best and much more comfortable with each other when it comes to living and working side by side.
I'll play

New York City=ethnically diverse=world's most powerful city and cultural mecca

North Platte, Nebraska=93% white=not exactly lighting the world on fire to put it mildly. Most people probably couldn't even point to it on a map, despite being the third biggest metro in Nebraska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies