Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 10:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Kill the forum, it is not mine to try and keep alive.
Well, you sure seem to act otherwise sometime. I am reconsidering - because if you agree to post that Illuminati stuff in the "conservative" forum then I may change my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 10:36 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you sure seem to act otherwise sometime. I am reconsidering - because if you agree to post that Illuminati stuff in the "conservative" forum then I may change my mind.
That’s why there should be a conspiracy forum. And you dems can post your stuff about Supreme Court justices sexuality assaulting people in there.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
How would you vet that?

I'm a very, very firm no.

There are already enough people who rarely venture outside their own political bubble / are only exposed to what is essentially propoganda, and that's part of what has got us into this giant mess in the first place.

This forum, while I see it a hugely right wing biased, is nonetheless very necessary in today's social media world.
People need to be exposed to both sides of an argument.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:38 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
I'm thinking about adding these subforums. They would still be public but only party's supporters would be allowed to comment. Any comments or suggestions?
Perhaps I am visualizing it wrong. The way I see it the temptation for non party members to troll would be huge, I think it would be an enormous amount of work to administer.

Under that scenario if I was a mod I wouldn't want to do it. Perhaps you are thinking of a sign in set-up I am not familiar with.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,744,358 times
There are a ton of inter-party arguments in the general forum, so I don't think this would create an echo chamber. 99% of users posting there would still visit the main forum. If a Democrat/liberal wants to discuss who should be the nominee or if Obamacare or single-payer healthcare is the way to go, it would be hard for them to do it on the main Politics forum.

We can create subforums for Independents or Libertarians etc. but in practical terms, these subforums would not be popular enough to support active discussions and that's worse than not having a place for them at all.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:40 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Such a setup (Rep/Dem forums) doesn't appear to allow for an independent voice, so I'd not be in favor.

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Who would everyone fight with?

My vote is no, but I would also suggest more judicious moderation with threads and posts not being deleted at record speed for no apparent violation of TOS.

Not that you asked...

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
I'm thinking about adding these subforums. They would still be public but only party's supporters would be allowed to comment. Any comments or suggestions?
No.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
What is the point of having a political forum if there is no political discussion allowed? It would kill this forum because there would be no point coming here. If people want to post in an echo chamber they go to the conservative sites or liberal sites to talk only to people who agree with them. That's not what a real political forum should be.

As stated above, though, I would love to see a conspiracy theory forum so that all the Alex Jones and Q and equally inane conspiracy garbage doesn't continually muck up the political forum.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That’s why there should be a conspiracy forum. And you dems can post your stuff about Supreme Court justices sexuality assaulting people in there.
And you could post your 'deep state' stuff there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies