Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,537 posts, read 16,524,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
One thing I think would be useful is seeing political leanings on our usernames. Give posters the option to self identify with shades of Blue to Red, White for centrists, Black for anarchists.
I like this idea, maybe ideology over party, and time lock changes so people cant switch back and forth when posting in a ideology forum, like facebook does with being added to a geography based group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 11:18 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think more even handed moderation of the existing Forum would be a better option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
A few suggestions that I think would make for a better, fairer forum.

Only allow threads that start with an actual news story in the OP. There are far too many posters that start thread after thread based on whatever happens to be floating through their mind at the time. Of course its almost always without evidence or basis.

Less 'merging of threads' unless the subject matter is identical.
Often new news stories get merged into existing threads of an old version of a story with a completely different angle and the new news just gets lost within it. It can be infuriating and often feels like the new news story is being deliberately buried. It has the affect of feeling partisan.

As another poster said, less deleting of posts that do not violate the TOS.
(Or revise the TOS to fit better with P and OC)
These are all exactly the kinds of things I was thinking about when I posted my comment

Old 10-11-2019, 11:19 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Have you seen their politics or The_Donald subreddits? Banning and downvoting opposing views, one sentence low-effort posts that don't get challenged if they go with the majority view... Reddit is a different concept anyway - the threads disappear in a day and early posts get a big preference. No use commenting if you haven't done it quickly.
I have seen it on both sides of the aisle when it comes to Reddit. I have read through their political forums but I don't comment on them though.

I agree with another poster above. Need more fair minded moderation in the main POC forum.

3,175 posts, read 2,742,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
NO NO NO!!!!

reason I come here is because it is open for all to respond. I WANT the opposing view free to respond. True discussion and debate allows all involved.
There would not be any changes to this forum. The idea is to have an additional place to talk, not to replace this forum.

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
nah....my vote is no......especially considering that the largest party in the usa are independents.
x100

Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
Do you want to see the complaints we get from Republicans/conservatives? In reality, you'd be surprised how few posts are ever deleted and the moderators do a great job of not deleting anything because they disagree politically.
I have never been on a forum that deletes as many posts as this one. Not even close. The lead moderators in here appear at times to do their moderating with a message board style chain saw.

And a lot of what is deleted is extremely arbitrary. Anyone who says otherwise just does not know what they are talking about.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:21 AM

10,223 posts, read 6,308,428 times
No. Anyone can go on a Democratic Underground or Free Republic if they so choose. However, if you post views contrary to their sites you will be called a troll and banned from their sites.

It does no good to not know what the opposite side is saying. Ignorance is not bliss. People need to hear opposing views and then form, and express, their own opinions. You can attack their views on here (unlike other partisan sites), but not the person holding them. I know it gets heated, and I have been guilty of that myself at times.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Administrator, you can see there is frustration here with regard to moderation, and many are probably sitting on their hands not wanting to say anything about that.

Back on topic - try it out on a trial basis as another poster suggested and then we'll all see if it's working well.

3,175 posts, read 2,742,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It appears to me that you are on unwittingly proposing to open a veritable pandoras box. Nothing good will come out of this.

Why do you really want to do this? You. What is it that is making you think that this might be a desirable or constructive thing to do?
What exactly is so undesirable about it? When you're browsing the Internet, you get classified in many categories by most of the sites you visit (usually for advertisers), including party affiliation. Biden does not want to target conservatives with ads about donating.

20,088 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Do you think that Democrats and Republicans don't have inter-party disagreements or have nothing to talk about? Why do primaries even exist then?
Primaries are now for the cable news networks. The intra-party disagreements are immaterial this election cycle. It's Trump, or not to Trump. Dislike for him supersedes any policy considerations for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies