Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 09:02 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I sure can, Jussie.

I am a white guy in my early 50s. Middle class with a good deal of education and experience. Pretty typical. One might even say dull.

What I am not is a latter day Merlin or Gandalf. I do not possess potions, magical powers, skills in mass hypnosis, or any other supernatural tool enabling me to control your eating habits or anything else. In other words, I cannot make you or anyone else in your tribe fat against your will. It would be flattering were it not so inane.

What I do have is an innate sense of personal responsibility- the knowledge that what you give is what you get; that success is tied to your own efforts and not to let set backs (we all have them Jussie) stop you.

You- in direct contrast- have no notion of that at all. You are the classic case of a weak, little man who would rather find a scapegoat for his failures than learn something from them.

I did not make you fat, stupid or anything else, Jussie. Your destiny is not contingent on my actions or wishes.

What befuddles me is how you have taken this PERSONALLY. When did this become about YOU as an individual and the magic spells and witchcraft that you do or do not posses? Its like voting. One persons vote is not responsible for Jack ship, in regards to national policy. However, IN MASS, people of like minds can effect change to the degree that it influences the lives of other people. No...an individual being a racist likely cannot have an impact on another "tribe", unless that person is extremely powerful and is a dictator or slave master. However, in mass, like thinking people without power as individuals become a powerful collective force that can then influence other tribes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Domestic violence is highest among black couples. Why are you ignoring a factor as important as that one in this discussion?

Here is the thing. You cannot control for black behavior absent the condition of the impact of white racism upon blacks in this society. Thus, unless you can factor out the impact of white supremacy upon the black condition overall, what you may be noting may simply be an symptom of racial oppression.

The only controlled environment is the behavior of blacks who have not had prolonged exposure to white supremacy. That wold be Africans immigrating to America (not that there countries have not been impacted by white supremacy of colonization, however). Africans who immigrate to America do not demonstrate many of the negative behavioral things associated with African Americans and the reason being is that they have not been exposed directly to the impact of white supremacy over centuries, as have African Americans.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:07 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What I am saying is this. I believe that a behavioral psychologist would say that the thesis is highly probable. The thing that has NEVER been undertaken and studied are the psychological ramifications of prolonged racism on black culture and psychology in America. Black people have never received therapy for living in a society that conditioned people to believe that the white race is superior and the black race is inferior for 3 centuries.
Do you think the psychological ramifications of which you speak should be taken into account by business and government (including the military) when encountering blacks seeking employment? Especially if said positions demand certain qualities of temperament? Could the trauma you speak of above preclude blacks from positions of responsibility?

Old 10-15-2019, 09:07 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Maybe it's just plain not dealing well with pressure and life in general. Is that in itself a crime now, too?

Old 10-15-2019, 09:10 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Here is the thing. You cannot control for black behavior absent the condition of the impact of white racism upon blacks in this society. Thus, unless you can factor out the impact of white supremacy upon the black condition overall, what you may be noting may simply be an symptom of racial oppression.

The only controlled environment is the behavior of blacks who have not had prolonged exposure to white supremacy. That wold be Africans immigrating to America (not that there countries have not been impacted by white supremacy of colonization, however). Africans who immigrate to America do not demonstrate many of the negative behavioral things associated with African Americans and the reason being is that they have not been exposed directly to the impact of white supremacy over centuries, as have African Americans.
Do you believe that white supremacy is responsible for black women being fat. Also is white supremacy responsible for black women being slim.

If it offers you any consolation. I know of a white guy. This white guy says some racist stuff. This white guy I know left his fat white wife for an attractive slim black American woman with a chocolate complexion . I'm even jealous that this man is with a woman like that. Should white supremacy also be blamed on making black women skinny or slim or chasing diet products?

Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Do you think the psychological ramifications of which you speak should be taken into account by business and government (including the military) when encountering blacks seeking employment? Especially if said positions demand certain qualities of temperament? Could the trauma you speak of above preclude blacks from positions of responsibility?

Why even go there when you have not even agreed or disagreed with the proposition? I think before we start talking about how America should react to the hypothesis, why don't you address the hypothesis?

Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Do you believe that white supremacy is responsible for black women being fat. Also is white supremacy responsible for black women being slim.

If it offers you any consolation. I know of a white guy. This white guy says some racist stuff. This white guy I know left his fat white wife for an attractive slim black American woman with a chocolate complexion . I'm even jealous that this man is with a woman like that. Should white supremacy also be blamed on making black women skinny or slim or chasing diet products?

You are purposely asking the WRONG question. No one is saying that ALL obesity in black women is due to white supremacy. There are obese white women as well. What I am focusing is on the difference in the rate between white women and black women and therefore I am not making an argument to explain why EVERY black women who is obese is that way.

What I am saying is that white supremacy can be argued, intelligently, to be a contributing cause, indirectly, to higher rates of black obesity than rates of white obesity.

That is what people do when they are trying to deflect. If we talk about higher rates of black poverty and we argue the role of white racism.......then invariably a person like you will chime in and say that I am saying every black person that is poor is poor due to racism. In other words, there would be no black poverty if not for white racism....which is absurd because whites have poverty too.....as well as obesity.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
If there is one thing folks in this thread have in common
“Woe me, I am a victim”..

You can power turbines with this..

Old 10-15-2019, 09:28 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Blaming Trump or white people for her obesity is ridiculous.

This said, it looks like she made a valid point. Stress releases hormones that will prevent people from losing weight, even if they eat right. So stop being so angry all the time.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:31 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Why even go there when you have not even agreed or disagreed with the proposition? I think before we start talking about how America should react to the hypothesis, why don't you address the hypothesis?
The hypothesis is a tad infantalizing. I think better of you and yours, mainly via experience with you and yours.

But if YOU believe your hypothesis, then consider the ramifications. Consider carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies