Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 01:00 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times

Advertisements

Officer Aaron Dean just resigned before he could be fired. Some reports say he is not cooperating with the investigation? Hope criminal charges come soon:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...8-473f98d02eb2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 01:02 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,072 times
apparently he has resigned.....the country has been through this before the cultural/political divide is just as the late sixties were...in the 1970s we had police misconduct from PTSD in returning soldiers/police we now send soldiers into multiple tours of duty and even if under psychiatric medication..they return and move up the civil service list...this stuff is NO MYSTERY

Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/fo...f-524bf75d386d

This is going to be very hard to defend, if the article truly reflects what happened. How awful.
Quote:
Jefferson was black. Fort Worth police officials have not released the officer's name but say he is white.
Well, at least the races of the people involved are stated so we can judge your interest in the incident to be appropriate, even virtuous. Clearly, you are among the good people. Congrats.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yes he can. He can break the door down and enter for a wellness check.

I'm sure how they put that into practice varies because they prefer to get a relatives permission to break and enter if they have to, but they do not need a warrant to enter private property when someone calls for a wellness check.
True that no search warrant is needed in the case of wellness checks.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:08 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/fo...f-524bf75d386d

This is going to be very hard to defend, if the article truly reflects what happened. How awful.
Quote:
Fort Worth police officials said the officer saw a person inside the home through a window, perceived this as a threat, and fired one shot...

...Bodycam footage shows a screen door closed but the front door open at the house. The lights were on inside. The officer did not appear to knock and could not be heard announcing himself at the doorway.
WTH is wrong with the cops in this area? Every thing is a "threat" to them that must immediately be shot at. That's some p*$$ poor training they've got going on in those departments.

Saw a person inside a house through a window - "It's a threat! KILL!" They can go ahead and lock this pos up, as well.

Idiots like this are making it more difficult for me to stand by the police. I know it's not all of them, but there's been enough of them who have killed people unlawfully - or their dogs for no reasons whatsoever - it's getting harder to defend them.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:12 PM

10,737 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
True that no search warrant is needed in the case of wellness checks.
But additional circumstances are required in order for police to enter the residence. Simply responding to a wellness check doesn't do it.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:19 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
WTH is wrong with the cops in this area? Every thing is a "threat" to them that must immediately be shot at. That's some p*$$ poor training they've got going on in those departments.

Saw a person inside a house through a window - "It's a threat! KILL!" They can go ahead and lock this pos up, as well.

Idiots like this are making it more difficult for me to stand by the police. I know it's not all of them, but there's been enough of them who have killed people unlawfully - or their dogs for no reasons whatsoever - it's getting harder to defend them.

"I was in fear for my life" is the standard defense for cop killings. It has worked for years but the tide is turning. Bodycams and video has been a godsend when getting to the truth.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:21 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
What you guys are missing is this is a society issue, the most resent shooting is a result of that.. we no longer respect human life or authority, this has caused untrust by the police and some of officer are on total edge every time they clock in, risking their lives..
What you're missing is this is a training issue. A well-trained police officer would have handled the issue peaceably. A well-trained police force earns the respect of the population it serves. A well-trained police officer would not be "on total edge".

Whether or not this cop willfully ignored protocol and procedure, or didn't know proper protocol for a wellness check, he still was poorly trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There's a huge problem with a lack of training, poor hiring, and a code of silence among police across the country. If you're unwilling to admit that - YOU are part of the problem.
I can't rep you again, but yes. So many police officers are poorly trained to deal with the variety of infractions and issues and people they come in contact with every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I can't tell you how many times I'll stay up late to play video games or just browse the web and do nothing if I can't sleep.
You better watch that; you might get shot. At least keep your door shut.

I'm lucky I do that stuff on the second floor. Harder for the cops to aim at me that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
why should police be called to do a wellness check?
The true mandate of law enforcement is to simply enforce the million and one laws of the state, and to rob, kidnap and cage those who violate them
Seems a tad contradictory to a citizens wellness, no?
Your crazy ideas aside, a wellness check is part of the "protect and serve" mission of the police department. Police help ensure the welfare and safety of the residents of the community.

Just like the cop who stopped to help me change a tire, and then helped me find the nearest tire store.

Just like the cop who comes to the preschool where I work and talks to the kids about safety.

Just like the cop who talks to parents about trends in substance abuse among teens in the community, and shows them all the different ways kids can hide drugs and paraphernalia.

Just like the cop who saw me walking my bike with a flat tire late one night, and gave me and my bike a ride home.

Just like the cop who gave me and my $100 worth of groceries a ride home after my car had been totaled in a traffic accident.

How is any of that contradictory to "wellness"?

Quote:
And as far as this cop knew, there might have been 3 street punks in there... must take some real bravado for you to sit behind your keyboard and judge before the facts come out..
And even if there were three street punks in the house, unless they were committing a crime they had every right to be there. How would the cop have found out? By knocking on the damn door.

Quote:
So should Boeing workers and executives be sent to prison when one of their planes crash?? Or should I be sent to prison if a blow a stop light and kill someone???
You already know the answer to this, which is "yes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
He resigned but the police chief said he would have been fired for violating numerous police procedures.
Let's hope he never finds another law enforcement job.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:21 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Got a link to the relevant law?
https://www.srhunterlaw.com/Police-Wellness-Checks

Here's the first thing I found. This originally grew out of a case on when cars can be searched without a warrant and I think it is law that is still evolving.....especially with regard to anything criminal they find in connection with such an entry/search.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:22 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
But additional circumstances are required in order for police to enter the residence. Simply responding to a wellness check doesn't do it.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies