Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And even if she was holding a gun there's zero evidence that she had it pointed at the cop who couldn't even see her hands or whether there was a gun in her hands.
Yes, there's that. But my point is that even if she was holding a gun, she had every right to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Well she did have a gun pointed at him, that would certainly startle me and most people on a jury.

Nobody on a jury in Texas would be startled to have a gun pointed at him if he were skulking around someone else's house at night.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No.

It is not Fallujah. The average person is not looking to kill a cop.
Even the average criminal is not looking to kill a cop.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:44 AM

638 posts, read 240,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sure it would startle him or anyone, but I don't have any sympathy for him on that regard because he is the one that stupidly set up a deadly situation and then escalated it.

And just for the record, all we know is that she pointed the gun out the window. We don't know if she could see him or if the gun was aimed directly at him or if he even saw the gun.

And none of this overcomes the fact that she had a legal right to have a gun and to shoot someone she only knew as a stranger on her property that she probably thought was trying to break in.

I think the dispatchers need a hard look for firing. Unlike what I previously thought, it seems they didn't tell the officers there was a woman/child in the house and they didn't tell them the house had been open for 4 hours. That last bit imo should have precluded them from operating like a crime was possibly still in process.
And that has been my point the whole time, but the early on keyboard heroes that wanted him lynched up are hopefully realizing.. Once the facts come out and the "we hate the police" mentality subsides, there will be many people and societal issues to blame for this..

These officers showed up to a house just knowing that the front door was open, they likely suspected a crime was being committed inside that house and acted as such.. and next thing the officer knows he has a gun being pointed at him and responded..

What did the dispatcher tell him?? What was their training in these situations? What had they seen or heard when they initially arrived? Had there been recent crimes in that area??

And the officer did resign, which is basically admitting he made mistakes.. but when all the facts come out, I bet we have plenty of blame to dish out in other directions..

Old 10-16-2019, 08:44 AM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So, just to clarify, you don't think cops should do welfare check visits?

OR, cops shouldn't enter private property if they have a reasonable suspicion a crime is being committed there? They should only enter private property at the invitation of the owner or legal renter?

I'm serious in asking.
Are you purposely trying to muddy the waters? It’s already been established that when on wellness check with exigent circumstances, a cop can do those things. However, it doesn’t appear that there were ANY exigent circumstances in this situation.

Unless and until other information comes up, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the cop acted incorrectly, from start to finish, and it wasn’t legal for him to be prowling around the backyard, shining his light in windows.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 AM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
And that has been my point the whole time, but the early on keyboard heroes that wanted him lynched up are hopefully realizing.. Once the facts come out and the "we hate the police" mentality subsides, there will be many people and societal issues to blame for this..

These officers showed up to a house just knowing that the front door was open, they likely suspected a crime was being committed inside that house and acted as such.. and next thing the officer knows he has a gun being pointed at him and responded..

What did the dispatcher tell him?? What was their training in these situations? What had they seen or heard when they initially arrived? Had there been recent crimes in that area??

And the officer did resign, which is basically admitting he made mistakes.. but when all the facts come out, I bet we have plenty of blame to dish out in other directions..
I missed where that was established. Got a link?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Are you purposely trying to muddy the waters? It’s already been established that when on wellness check with exigent circumstances, a cop can do those things. However, it doesn’t appear that there were ANY exigent circumstances in this situation.

Unless and until other information comes up, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the cop acted incorrectly, from start to finish, and it wasn’t legal for him to be prowling around the backyard, shining his light in windows.
i am asking a specific poster that question, because it appears he doesn't think LE should be able to "trespass" on property without the express permission of the homeowner.

Please don't muddy the waters.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, there's that. But my point is that even if she was holding a gun, she had every right to do so.
Absolutely agree. And if I had been in Jefferson's situation I would have had my gun and been ready to fire in a fraction of a second.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I missed where that was established. Got a link?
I don't have a link, but it's in this thread somewhere.

The 8 year old nephew said they heard noises in the backyard, and he wanted to investigate but she wouldn't let him - she herself got the gun from her purse and went to the window to investigate.

It's in this thread.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
So, just to clarify, you don't think cops should do welfare check visits?
I think all security should be private, but given the system in place now; if there is to be such a thing as a "wellness check" govt police should knock on the door and identify themselves, just as you would expect a neighbor, bible salesman, friend, etc.

Just to clarify: you don't think any of the aforementioned groups should be able to walk onto your property with guns drawn and bark commands, do you?

Quote:
OR, cops shouldn't enter private property if they have a reasonable suspicion a crime is being committed there? They should only enter private property at the invitation of the owner or legal renter?
Again security should be private. You sign up with a service, there is a contract with terms and both party's are aware of an obligation to each other. There is accountability and repercussions.
So no, cops shouldn't enter private property without permission. When a cop commits a crime they are usually held blameless or punished at the victims (and everyone elses) expense.

Just so we're clear: you think govt police should be able to do things that you and I cannot do without being punished for them
In this instance specifically; enter without permission, make threats, point guns, commit murder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies