Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Defense and mitigating factors are not the same thing. I think he will be found guilty, but I also think if he did in fact see a gun, that will be a mitigating factor in his sentencing that reduces the number of years he spends in jail. How many years it knocks off his sentence remains to be seen.

Once again, both the mayor and the chief of police have said that the gun is irrelevant.

They won't be on the jury, but they are indicative of what even white women and white men in the Ft Worth area think about the gun as an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's not really your job to tell others what to post, TaxPhd.

How about you post your own opinion, and not tell someone else what to say, like the rest of us do?
If you believe I’ve violated the TOS, you should report the post.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've been talking about that. They have to get out of their cars and talk to the old men playing dominoes in the barbershop and the old women sitting in their lawn chairs on the porches.

And they have to not be obviously looking for a reason to arrest people when they're supposed to be making small talk.

These people are regular residents, working people, retired people, ordinary people. They just want to live peaceful lives. If they believe the police are there to help them live peaceful lives, they will be helpful in return: "You know those burglaries that have been going on lately? Well, there are some knuckleheads that aren't from around here who have been hanging around 9th and Parkway...."
Yeah I know.

The cops/sheriffs in my small southern town/larger county know and do this. Their community interaction is obvious from their facebook pages to their call logs where they note not only calls they go out on, but also instances where they instigate community contact.

Not sure what the problem is in Forth Worth. From what I am reading they seem to have a problem implementing what many police depts. already understand.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you believe I’ve violated the TOS, you should report the post.
I'm not a tattle-tale.

I'm just saying, how about you post your own opinion, and not tell others how to post?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The processes involved run in parallel not serial. He can be both asking to see her hands and looking for a gun at the same time.

That he saw a gun would appear the most likely reason for firing. Doubtful that a female face would cause such a reaction.

When a LEO see a (gun) they shout GUN to alert theirs fellow LEO partners......LOL.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Defense and mitigating factors are not the same thing. I think he will be found guilty, but I also think if he did in fact see a gun, that will be a mitigating factor in his sentencing that reduces the number of years he spends in jail. How many years it knocks off his sentence remains to be seen.
Determining if the officer saw a gun is probably an impossibility, especially since the cop that was behind him didn’t see a gun, the body cam footage doesn’t show a gun, and his verbal commands are consistent with him NOT seeing a gun. For it to even be considered, the defense will have to establish that he did in fact see it, in her hand, pointed at him. Do you think the defense will be able to do that?

Anyway, I’ve never been involved in a capital murder case, but I have a hard time believing it would a mitigating factor, when legally, her having a gun, even if it were pointed at the window, is irrelevant.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
When a LEO see a (gun) they shout GUN to alert theirs fellow LEO partners......LOL.
I'm still inclined to believe this man squeezed the trigger without fully meaning to. I believe he shot without meaning to.

I think he was a fairly new cop, and drew his gun but wasn't all the way ready to fire.

All the way around, very very sad case. The loss of Ms. Jefferson is so very sad.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Once again, both the mayor and the chief of police have said that the gun is irrelevant.

They won't be on the jury, but they are indicative of what even white women and white men in the Ft Worth area think about the gun as an issue.
Not sure one white woman and one white man are indicative of all the same in Ft Worth.

We'll see. Personally, I don't see the value to society of locking a man up for life assuming he with no ill intent stupidly took a life in the course of his job. Bar him from that job, lock him up for a while and pay the family from the FW coffers for their loss.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not a tattle-tale.

I'm just saying, how about you post your own opinion, and not tell others how to post?
Perhaps you are confused. So, to be clear, I am posting my own opinion. In my opinion, those who defend rogue murdering cops should stop doing so.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Determining if the officer saw a gun is probably an impossibility, especially since the cop that was behind him didn’t see a gun, the body cam footage doesn’t show a gun, and his verbal commands are consistent with him NOT seeing a gun. For it to even be considered, the defense will have to establish that he did in fact see it, in her hand, pointed at him. Do you think the defense will be able to do that?

Anyway, I’ve never been involved in a capital murder case, but I have a hard time believing it would a mitigating factor, when legally, her having a gun, even if it were pointed at the window, is irrelevant.
Unless something the child has to say establishes he could have seen the gun, it will boil down to the ex-officers testimony if he chooses to testify. Will that be a fact? No. The jury will have to decide if they find his testimony credible that he saw a gun if that's what he says. No way to know at this point if he will be a credible witness or not.

Not to quibble, but this isn't a capital murder case as that would mean a death penalty.

In any case a mitigating factor does not apply to guilty or innocent, it applies to how long of a sentence someone receives.

If jurors perceive that she had a right to point a gun and/or shoot but also perceive that he had a right to self defense because he was facing a homeowner shooting him, I can see them at a stalemate where they convict him of murder or manslaughter because he created the deadly situation, but then giving him a shorter sentence because they recognize he perceived he was facing a life/death situation. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies