Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times

Advertisements

https://www.state.gov/

Is this fascist or naw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
I don’t think you understand what the term fascist means.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
By which definition of "fascist?" The dictionary definition or the common vulgar one, which essentially means, "I disagree with you?"

Old 10-14-2019, 05:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post

Is this fascist or naw?
Are you disappointed that your religion mentioned another religion?

Frankly, I have no use for either of them but keep searching for the outrage.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Are you disappointed that your religion mentioned another religion?

Frankly, I have no use for either of them but keep searching for the outrage.
Please elaborate. I don’t know what you mean.

[By the way, I’d probably post this on the Democratic Only board so as to have an adult discussion.]

Old 10-14-2019, 06:02 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:

Is this fascist or naw?
No, it isn’t fascist. He made a speech to a group that was interested in that particular topic and just like other speeches he has made through his tenure to groups, either with a specific focus or not, it is on his page. He is not saying you have to read it, watch it, or listen to it. He is not saying you have to operate that way. He isn’t talking to you, so ignore it.

Did you have an issue with this one.
The United States and Greece: Showing the Way Forward

Or any of these?
Speeches: Secretary Pompeo

Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:

Is this fascist or naw?
Naw......

fascism
n. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, a capitalist economy subject to stringent governmental controls, violent suppression of the opposition, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, it isn’t fascist. He made a speech to a group that was interested in that particular topic and just like other speeches he has made through his tenure to groups, either with a specific focus or not, it is on his page. He is not saying you have to read it, watch it, or listen to it. He is not saying you have to operate that way. He isn’t talking to you, so ignore it.

Did you have an issue with this one.
https://www.state.gov/secretary-mich...e-way-forward/
I can understand that. IMO, it does seem a bit authoritarian at first glance. It’s not his page, but the Department of State‘s page.

ETA: I didn’t see the other link, and I don’t have an opinion on it.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:

Is this fascist or naw?

More evidence that the Southern Baptist Church might as well be the "Church of the United States" at this point. Separation of church and state is dead (though Republicans say it never existed in the first place).

Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:

Is this fascist or naw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I don’t think you understand what the term fascist means.
I understand perfectly that the Original Poster believes that a belief in God and faith in Jesus - is the very definition of "fascist". The Christian Religion is under attack all over the World .... and especially in the United States of America ..... where to be a Christian, to believe in God and Jesus is "fascist".

Trust me on this ....... Normal People cannot and will NOT relate to this sort of thing.
It doesn't matter what your Religion is, it doesn't matter who you pray to or if your pray at all.
In the United States of American anybody can "believe/not believe" can Pray/Not Pray and not be called derogatory names like "fascist". They can't be put to death over their Religious (or non Religious) Practices. They can't be forced into a Religious (or Non-Religious) system/denomination.
In the USA - we have FREEDOM of Religion. It is enshrined in our Constitution that some want to tear down and shred. WE the People are not going to allow that. At the very least - the Normal People among us won't allow that and the the others can't do away with that FREEDOM unless they gain the power to Pack the Courts and .... Decree we no long have our Freedom.

From Secretary Pompeo's talk -

We’re both in very people-intensive lines of work, and we’re both appealing to the hearts and minds to change behaviors. As believers, we draw on the wisdom of God to help us get it right, to be a force for good in the life of human beings.

Now, I know that even having just said that, I know some people in the media will break out the pitchforks when they hear that I ask God for direction in my work. (Applause.) But you should know, as much as I’d like to claim originality, it is not a new idea. (Laughter.) I love this quote from President Lincoln. He said that he – he said, quote, “I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.” (Laughter.)

And so with that in mind, I want to use my time today to think about what it means to be a Christian leader, a Christian leader in three areas:

First is disposition. How is it that one carries oneself in the world? The second is dialogue, talking. How is it that we engage with others around the world? And third is decisions, decisions that we make. How do we make choices? Upon what basis? What do we use as our bedrock to get to those decisions? These are things that you face in your work every day. They are issues that the State Department and President Trump, each of us, must face.

And my focus too, to be quite candid, is not just on being a leader. I learned how to lead at whatever level I’m blessed with during my time at West Point and other experiences, but I want to talk today about being a Christian leader. I learned that through a very different experience, an experience with God and my own personal faith in Christ.

I assume that everyone is aware that Speeches by Cabinet Secretaries or Government Deputy Secretary's (including the President of the United States) are always listed under their News/Media tabs on the Office websites. This is standard practice and has been for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies