Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times

Advertisements

The Japanese don't spend their money. They save and save and save it. It's ingrained into their culture.

The country is also growing older. There are fewer children born in Japan nowadays than in the past. When both of these things collide, it makes it much easier for a young woman who wants to stay home and raise children instead of working outside the home.

The Japanese culture always gives those women lots of family support and help in caring for the kids. The help goes both ways; as the parents age, they move in with their grown kids. And once the grand-kids are grown, the care the grandparents gave to them comes back when they're old and need care themselves.

With all the Japanese banks flush with savings that's earning interest, the money they saved more than makes up for the income a young working mother can make.

The savings is what brought on the Japanese stagflation. Japan hasn't ever had a recession like one of ours, but its economy stalled out after the initial spending splurge that followed the big surge of Japanese exports. Once the Japanese bought the foreign property they wanted, they quit spending.

A lot of working people also quit working because they no longer needed the jobs.

Encouraging the relatively few young mothers to raise large families is a good thing for the nation and for its economy in the long run. Trying to make the people willing to spend like Americans will be much harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 06:17 PM

1,086 posts, read 441,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Japanese don't spend their money. They save and save and save it. It's ingrained into their culture.

The country is also growing older. There are fewer children born in Japan nowadays than in the past. When both of these things collide, it makes it much easier for a young woman who wants to stay home and raise children instead of working outside the home.

The Japanese culture always gives those women lots of family support and help in caring for the kids. The help goes both ways; as the parents age, they move in with their grown kids. And once the grand-kids are grown, the care the grandparents gave to them comes back when they're old and need care themselves.

With all the Japanese banks flush with savings that's earning interest, the money they saved more than makes up for the income a young working mother can make.

The savings is what brought on the Japanese stagflation. Japan hasn't ever had a recession like one of ours, but its economy stalled out after the initial spending splurge that followed the big surge of Japanese exports. Once the Japanese bought the foreign property they wanted, they quit spending.

A lot of working people also quit working because they no longer needed the jobs.

Encouraging the relatively few young mothers to raise large families is a good thing for the nation and for its economy in the long run. Trying to make the people willing to spend like Americans will be much harder.
There is a huge demographic problem in Japan. It seems every year life expectancy gets higher

Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Probably because Japanese housewives have a lot more power than American Christian housewives.

Fundamentalist traditional housewives in the US are expected to be meek and subservient to their men. The men are definitively the heads of the households, and women are expected to obey without question or else...
This is absurdly wrong. They aren't supposed to subservient, it's supposed to be a team. If you pick wisely, not just some random idiot that you're lusting over because 'omg, he's so cute", you will have a strong team where conversation and debate and compromise actually comes into play. I don't know who is teaching some of you (general "you") people about what it is to be a Christian, but that ain't it. I can only guess it's people who pick and choose passages to read and don't actually read the entire thing. The Bible doesn't look down on females, quite the opposite.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Good to see traditional family values still big in first world asia. The tax system benefits housewives, even ones with part time jobs, by not taxing them if they make below a million a year.

https://jpninfo.com/66836

https://twitter.com/BBCMarikoOi/stat...505192961?s=20
A million yen a year ($10,000)

Old 10-16-2019, 07:42 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
There is nothing wrong with being a housewife, especially if that is your choice.
I was a housewife stay at home Mom, while I raised my Son. It was actually way harder (but way more rewarding) than any paid outside job that I ever did. My Husband always worked, and had a good job, so we had a choice in the matter. Not everyone does.

I don't think women should feel forced or compelled to be a housewife though, it should be a choice. Some people would probably be miserable being one.
Everyone should follow their dream if they can. I didn’t want to work when my kids were little- but I like my career and we are a close family. Work or not, does not keep you from having a good loving family. Trying to lock me down would not be a good thing for anyone to attempt. To each his own and be happy. I think it’s worse for moms that want to stay home and can’t afford to.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is absurdly wrong. They aren't supposed to subservient, it's supposed to be a team. If you pick wisely, not just some random idiot that you're lusting over because 'omg, he's so cute", you will have a strong team where conversation and debate and compromise actually comes into play. I don't know who is teaching some of you (general "you") people about what it is to be a Christian, but that ain't it. I can only guess it's people who pick and choose passages to read and don't actually read the entire thing. The Bible doesn't look down on females, quite the opposite.
My husband comes from a deeply Christian family and told me this is what they taught in the churches he grew up in, and he's pretty insistent that the more fundamentalist ones are mostly like that. (Needless to say, he does not follow those teachings)

I was curious and googled it and found some really weird sites promoting things like spanking your wife in the name of God...but I probably just fell into the weird part of the internet. lol

However, I know mainstream Christians are not much different than non-religious in terms of attitudes towards marital relationships. I'm only talking about the really hardline sects.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
There is a huge demographic problem in Japan. It seems every year life expectancy gets higher
In your eagerness to embrace the ideal of the Japanese nuclear family, you're probably forgotten that a lot of that demographic problem comes from fewer Japanese women wanting to get married.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/w...-marriage.html

Old 10-17-2019, 12:02 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In your eagerness to embrace the ideal of the Japanese nuclear family, you're probably forgotten that a lot of that demographic problem comes from fewer Japanese women wanting to get married.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/w...-marriage.html
Yup. It remains to be seen if the Japanese single women will follow the American lead in becoming unmarried mothers.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. It remains to be seen if the Japanese single women will follow the American lead in becoming unmarried mothers.
Highly unlikely.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:06 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Funny US society never acknowledged that in practice. For centuries traditional female roles were downplayed and seen as unimportant, inferior and women were even seen as evil. Traditional females did not rule the world, the government, the business world nor the household. Women, couldn't vote, own property, get a credit card............................

Prior to the mid-1800s, neither could most white men.

Black men would receive voting rights a few decades later, but it would still be another century before they would actually be able to use those voting rights.

Voting rights were originally restricted to those that paid property taxes, but it's hard to get poor men, the ones traditionally pressed into military service, to agree to fight your wars for you if they aren't allowed to own property and vote.

Since women were not needed to fight wars, securing voting rights took a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies