U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:56 AM

1,433 posts, read 4,356,154 times

Advertisements

I am so sick and tired of constantly hearing about everything "green" in the media. Every freaking commericial, TV program, etc. has to have some green angle. There was an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution this morning written by a hysterical mother obsessing over whether or not to buy Jet Dry because it might not be environmentally correct. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! I have previously considered myself an environmentalist, and I love the outdoors. However, this is getting ridiculous!!!! It's as if people can't handle any ambiguity in their lives and need some sort of structure to dictate their behavior. With the decline of traditional religion, it seems that this new phony, obsessive-compulsive environmentalism has become the new religion for a lot of people. Well, I for one, hate dogma of any sort, and will not be converting to this religion!!!! To borrow a statement from a poster on another message board, it's enough to make me want to dump my recycling bin in the local water supply just for spite!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:59 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,624,853 times
I hear you!!! And those twisty lightbulbs that everyone is pushing into our sockets? They're hazardous! You're not even supposed to throw them in the garbage! You're supposed to take them to a hazardous waste facility ... in a gas guzzling car I suppose too ...

CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury : NPR

Recycling Myths (http://www.ecoworld.com/home/articles2.cfm?tid=340 - broken link)

Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 AM

3,855 posts, read 5,305,913 times
Our small town is getting an ethanol plant soon. Ethanol's good for the environment, right? The process to create it involves burning waste coal, and sucking over a million gallons of fresh water a day out of the Susquehanna River. This plant will be right next to an elementary school. Yeah, nice.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 AM

30 posts, read 64,547 times

The lucky beggar! At us opposite to people all the same where to throw dust! About ecology at us have forgotten!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,060,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I hear you!!! And those twisty lightbulbs
and they are a fire hazard. I have had three now that have ignited or smoldered. seems if they are standing upright the become a flying moth trap...........and puff................ not only causes one to go through the house looking for the smoke source but it also ruins a very expensive light bulb...
and no, I dont load em up and take to the hazardous waste place

Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 AM

5,128 posts, read 10,260,702 times
A country that has only 5% of the worlds population, yet consumes 25% of the world energy apparently needs to hear MORE about being "green". If we can curb our appetite for energy, maybe we will have fight less expensive wars over resources in the future, think of the savings!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 AM

2,923 posts, read 4,574,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatum View Post
The lucky beggar! At us opposite to people all the same where to throw dust! About ecology at us have forgotten!
Whoa

Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM

25,881 posts, read 39,166,424 times
I don't mind hearing about green but I always wonder what about the people who are telling us to go green are the doing it them self? Al Gore uses more than our whole block in power and private plane fuel. Leonardo di Caprio, the same. So I wonder what about the others who are telling us to go green........

Old 04-20-2008, 09:43 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,468,264 times
So the ambiguity frustrates you to the point that you'll abandon all reasonableness and professed environmentalism to SPITE it? That's like saying that because your wife doesn't makes sense, you'll kill her.

What you describe as a bandwagon is more a changing in consciousness. What's ONE thing that could unite the world? How about the world itself? Nothing is more important than the planet and now the most "enlightened" countries are awakening to the damage they cause. As with any "bandwagon", we don't know where this will take us. There's bound to be side trips and dead ends. The intent is certainly worthy, and the method can be either fair and balanced or downright restrictive. Chaos has its role in every action.

Yes, we're turning green. The road we took that led us away from nature was long and dreamy. The way back will be full of bumps and sacrifices.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 AM

17,788 posts, read 19,809,651 times
I used to be a "green" fanatic when I was younger for probably a decade of my life... I yelled at anyone who wasn't doing the "green" thing and in fact I still think its important. The problem is... not all "green" things are "green"... I used to believe that CO2 caused global warming and vehemently dared anyone to say otherwise (the arrogance of youth)... As I got older, I started to question things and found out some of these things make absolutely NO sense. CO2 causes global warming? Yeah, that is as true as Mickey Mouse is a real person. However, I do believe in "intelligent" consumption, we do consume a lot because we HAVE the capital to consume a lot. If other nations had that kind of capital, they would be NO different than us. So we get blamed for consuming a lot, which is deceptive because its the world thats trying to sell these things to us and if they didn't... their OWN standard of living goes down... they wouldn't want that... I do believe in less pollution like CFCs, lead, mercury, and preserving our forests and lakes... as well as preserving the natural critters that live in them... However, I need something more than hearsay, media hype, and bunk science... I need hard concrete proof... The media uses "green" because it is strictly political... when the media "invests" in a green candidate.. they expect something in return.. the "green" candidate is more appealing to the voters than a non-green candidate and media keeps repeating it as a form of subliminal propaganda... they think once you hear it enough, regardless of whether its true or not, you will believe it... and that is the problem... "green" solutions that aren't really "green" at all... its no wonder "green" IS a corporation like any other corporation... looking for profit at all sides... people complain the HMO taking over medicine... wait till you see corporations taking over "green"... oh wait, they already did... carbon credit anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or