U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,495 posts, read 20,835,622 times
Reputation: 13756

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by YeledafIn that case how about John Lennon with Imagine?
If I had his wealth I too can imagine lotsa things while not being interrupted by cold-hard reality (like poverty).
Nonetheless Lennon's text is okay even when he never ‘suffered’ like a Vincent van Gogh who had truly known poverty in his life and shortly committed suicide after slicing off his left ear.
Oh, let's go back the Boss. Poor boy turned gazillionaire/hypocrite. Typical American rags-to-riches story. Proof that America's glory days are now. Or would you prefer to continue irrelelevantly deflecting -- to a Brit with a messiah complex and a dirt-poor shizophrenic Dutchman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,776,446 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
Quote:
Oh, let's go back the Boss. Poor boy turned gazillionaire/hypocrite. Typical American rags-to-riches story. Proof that America's glory days are now. Or would you prefer to continue irrelelevantly deflecting -- to a Brit with a messiah complex and a dirt-poor shizophrenic Dutchman?
Well the Boss, like the other 2 all are successful artists. If people want to pay them to perform I see no case of hypocrisy.
And when people do find them hypocrites they should not pay to see them perform nor buy their art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,495 posts, read 20,835,622 times
Reputation: 13756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Yeledaf Well the Boss, like the other 2 all are successful artists. If people want to pay them to perform I see no case of hypocrisy.
And when people do find them hypocrites they should not pay to see them perform nor buy their art.
And when people find them hypocrites, they should not accept their song lyrics as some sort of socially conscious poetry.

Thus my rejection of your argument....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,776,446 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
Quote:
And when people find them hypocrites, they should not accept their song lyrics as some sort of socially conscious poetry.

Thus my rejection of your argument....
Are you saying that people who disagree with you are hypocrites?
Throughout history art has always been open to many different interpretations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,495 posts, read 20,835,622 times
Reputation: 13756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Yeledaf Are you saying that people who disagree with you are hypocrites?
Not at all. I'm saying that millionaires whose daily income exceeds that of many small nations have no business bemoaning the glory days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,776,446 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
Quote:
Not at all. I'm saying that millionaires whose daily income exceeds that of many small nations have no business bemoaning the glory days.
So you believe that glory days only has to do with money and not with having been young once upon a time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
 
2,260 posts, read 3,363,800 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am waiting for the Chinese economy to grow to the level where they have an internal market sufficient to buy all their domestic production. Then they will have the wealth to invest in themselves and will no longer need our capital or our market. Then they will stop lending us money to support their sales to us. When we are cut off from the nearly free money to support out wars and empire the tough times will start.

If the Chinese actually call in our debt we will really be in trouble. Like somebody with a mortgage too large for his or her income we will be bankrupt. Can a country be foreclosed? What will happen when our dollars inflates to the point that nobody will sell us any oil because we will not have any wealth backing up our currency?

I expect the Chinese to do this because we are their main competitors for world economic dominance. I do not have a time frame but please consider that the Chinese have a tradition of long term planning and have been in business a very long time. We have fallen for their scheme and we are going to loose this competition.
China won't 'call in' our debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,495 posts, read 20,835,622 times
Reputation: 13756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Yeledaf So you believe that glory days only has to do with money and not with having been young once upon a time?
I'm not saying anything about glory days. I'm talking about hypocrisy. Let's keep our eye on the ball here, shall we?

Oh, okay. here's one glory days quote....

"Perhaps my best years are gone...but I wouldn't want them back. Not with the fire in me now." --- Samuel Beckett

See how much more honesty and courage there is to be found in Beckett than in Springsteen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
 
1,572 posts, read 3,678,055 times
Reputation: 512
I hate to play a sad violin song for the US, but it doesn't look pretty. Too much manufacturing lost to overseas, the standard of living is declining too much as well. People my age, younger Gen-X and Gen-Y, don't have alot of positive stuff on the horizon. It just feels like a whole generation has lost the dignity Americans used to have, because of the fact we are the first generation of Americans born into a world of declining expectations. People on the Right are cheering because Chinese junk is cheap at Wally World but what about the rising costs of necessities of life like food and fuel, and the declining wages? You can't wish that away with some patriotic flag waving and a rousing anthem. Somebody has alot of explaining to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM
 
178 posts, read 317,272 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I hate to play a sad violin song for the US, but it doesn't look pretty. Too much manufacturing lost to overseas, the standard of living is declining too much as well. People my age, younger Gen-X and Gen-Y, don't have alot of positive stuff on the horizon. It just feels like a whole generation has lost the dignity Americans used to have, because of the fact we are the first generation of Americans born into a world of declining expectations. People on the Right are cheering because Chinese junk is cheap at Wally World but what about the rising costs of necessities of life like food and fuel, and the declining wages? You can't wish that away with some patriotic flag waving and a rousing anthem. Somebody has alot of explaining to do.
I feel bad for your generation and future generations... I'm in my fifties and I believe America's best days are over...I hate to be negative, but I don't have much hope for the future either...Personally I feel our government has sold us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top