U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,238,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here - our recreational boats have motors - and we ski behind them

What about the motorhomes, travel trailers etc? You want everyone to give those up?

And, are you supportive of not bring crops to market either?

Thanks but, I'll continue to use my 60 to 80 gallons (or more) per week. Suits our lifestyle just fine. Let's see - gotta fill up the aircraft - thats around 100 gallons ...... Yep - works for me
Doesn't matter what I think or you think. Pocketbooks are going to put the crunch on land yachts. I predict a very bad year for Winnebago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,116,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Doesn't matter what I think or you think. Pocketbooks are going to put the crunch on land yachts. I predict a very bad year for Winnebago.
That's not what I asked - you are clearly avoiding the question

You want to limit people to 12 gal of gas a week - your suggestion (a stupid one but then it again - I consider the source)

Obviously, you want people to get rid of their RV's - put people out of work -

Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That's not what I asked - you are clearly avoiding the question

You want to limit people to 12 gal of gas a week - your suggestion (a stupid one but then it again - I consider the source)

Obviously, you want people to get rid of their RV's - put people out of work -
I said nothing of the kind. Europe doesn't ration gas, they tax the hell out of it until the dumb ones get the message. Some are slower than others. Get the picture?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,983,230 times
Quote:
Now how does nuclear power affect the amount of gasoline people have?

Gasoline for transportation can be replaced by liquid hydrogen, the hydrogen produced by using nuclear energy to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. BMW has (2001) built prototypes with similar performance and range to gasoline powered cars. Other schemes for using hydrogen have been proposed and tested, but none of the other schemes can realize the range achieved by BMW's liquid hydrogen cars.

NUCLEAR NOW (16-Apr-2008)

Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I said nothing of the kind. Europe doesn't ration gas, they tax the hell out of it until the dumb ones get the message. Some are slower than others.
Oh, yes you did - Post #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by richurch View Post
Great you get 100 gallons per person --600 gallons per year for your family of six, including your husband's commute. So the two of you get about 12 gallons per week to split. Make the best of it. All of Western Europe does and they don't seem deprived.
Seems you forgot what you wrote

In the same post, you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richurch View Post
We'll allocate to you to average of what the highest gasoline consuming country in Western Europe consumers, per capita.
You implied rationing -

Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

Gasoline for transportation can be replaced by liquid hydrogen, the hydrogen produced by using nuclear energy to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. BMW has (2001) built prototypes with similar performance and range to gasoline powered cars. Other schemes for using hydrogen have been proposed and tested, but none of the other schemes can realize the range achieved by BMW's liquid hydrogen cars.

NUCLEAR NOW (16-Apr-2008)
Popular Mechanics level hype. Isn't going to happen in the next 50 years.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch
I said nothing of the kind. Europe doesn't ration gas, they tax the hell out of it until the dumb ones get the message. Some are slower than others.

Oh, yes you did - Post #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by richurch
Great you get 100 gallons per person --600 gallons per year for your family of six, including your husband's commute. So the two of you get about 12 gallons per week to split. Make the best of it. All of Western Europe does and they don't seem deprived.

Seems you forgot what you wrote
No you've inferred that I was imposing a ration, I wasn't. Europe does all this with fuel taxes and engine size.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,262,270 times
Quote:
I said nothing of the kind. Europe doesn't ration gas, they tax the hell out of it until the dumb ones get the message. Some are slower than others. Get the picture?
Europe is a differnet market all together. Europe (and I apologize for making sweeping generalizations, I know that this may not be true across the board) tends to have much better mass transit systems then the US, European towns tend to be laid out in such a manner that one can get around just fine either by walking or riding a bike (and of course the already mentioned mass transit systems).
The US has none of this. Especially in the oft maligned 'fly over country'. The US as a country is massive compared to any other European country. We have a lot of people spread out over many many miles. Unfortunatly, the scourge of suburban sprawl has spread throughout the land --- but, no use crying over that spilt milk, the question now is what can we do to better the situation? We are not Europe. We will never be Europe. To compare the US gas consumption with Europe is unfair and pointless. A better question to pose is; Given the US is spread out, given that people have to drive long distances for work or school or shopping, given that people like to visit other parts of our country that greyhound or amtrak may not service, given that many towns and cities have negligible mass transit systems....what can we do to improve our situation? Again, you cannot make the US into Europe....what is your solution?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
No you've inferred that I was imposing a ration, I wasn't. Europe does all this with fuel taxes and engine size.
I said, it was your SUGGESTION - a stupid one

You brought it up Bubba - live with it -

Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,983,230 times
Quote:
Popular Mechanics level hype. Isn't going to happen in the next 50 years.

Not without any support behind it. It took less time than that to accomplish some of the greatest advances in the history of mankind. So because something will require some devotion of time and effort, we should be stuck with rising gas prices and dependence on oil? Get rid of politics, tell scientists to get on it now, and you would be amazed what could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies