Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
By making the requirements so high that it would be unreasonable to even ask.
Funny people seem to be applying now and the fundamental regulations haven't changed.

Quote:
The final product is energy, not gasoline. Gasoline and electricity are both forms of energy. It is possible to travel from place to place using only stored electricity.
Right just hook up a long extension cord to you car. You're not too versed in technology I see. Wind's a form of energy. See how far you get on that. LOL

Quote:
I never said any were canceled.
What are you saying. Either companies wanted to build greenfield refineries of they don't which is it.

Quote:
Consumption in this country may be going down, but the oil price is clear indication that demand is not.
Try reading at least one economics book. Demand is not going down, but consumption is? I'll email the industry -- New Theory of Economic discovered!
Quote:
Any system that determines the allocation of limited rescources restricts the distributioin in one form or another. (economics)There are 2 ways to regulate the distribution of limited resources. Either by letting the market forces determine who buys it (market economy) or by the government determining who gets what (and at what price.) If you want to claim that there is another way, please do so. And also explain how you can ALLOCATE a limited resource without RESTRICTING someone from getting all they would like to have.
Ever heard of a supply curve, a demand curve and demand elasticity? The Europeans manage demand with taxes, not fiat.

Quote:
Allocate does mean ration, and both terms have a restriction component.
Keep trying. It doesn't.

Quote:
This thread is about the gas shortage. Are you that naive to think that China has nothing to do with it? Your solution was to ALLOCATE US citizens gas at European levels. (In effect lowering our consumption.) I merely pointed out that that wouldn't solve the problem because you would also have to lower the consumption of all other countries, and in the case of China, allocating gas at European levels would dramatically increase consumption.
Why don't you check to see how much gasoline China consumes compared to the United States. Ignorance is a poor basis for a policy decision. Regurgitating what you hear on TV is even worse. My solution was for the US to adopt transportation practices proven to work in Europe. That would solve the current price problem.

Quote:
I never referenced Germany as the third world. I said your ultimate goal is get our consumption much lower than Germany's ....to third world levels. You either cleverly tried to change the subject or didn't read the post carefully.
Actually I suggested that we should view German per capita consumption as a benchmark for what the US could achieve, not reduce our consumption below Germany's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
[quote=Who?Me?!;3561146]I believe we ( world "we")have plenty of gas and oil.

I also believe price is controlled by the oil companies and has nothing to do with any "market".

This is true. Just 6 weeks ago I hear on the news that they guarantee gas will be $4/gal by June. How do you guarantee a prediction for market demand? If we all can predict deman we can all make a quick trillion in the stock market.

If market demand dictates price as economics 101 teaches, then how the hell did they know gas would be $4/gal. by June? The oil execs knew they wanted to charge that much so they just preplanned it, that's why.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
I'm going to speculate like the oil speculators do.

I speculate alot of people will be pissed soon as the price gets to 4.00 or 4.50 and soon the riots will begin.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:18 PM

290 posts, read 524,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The facts are ...there is plenty of oil.
Oil is a scarce resource. If you know where there is more, you can get $118 a barrel by just collecting it an selling it. Your "fact" is absurd. (it is also singular)
Quote:

Now, YOU tell me why oil companies CAN'T charge anything they want.
Because there are other oil companies out there that will charge less. If you can prove collusion, you should give that evidence to the government so they can prosecute the lawbreakers. There are millions of Americans that will back you up.....IF you can prove it.

Quote:

The Golden Rule:

Those with the most gold, rule.
Is this another one of your "facts?"
Quote:
PS: I drive a small car with great mileage, have stayed home on the last 4 weekends, didn't drive anywhere unnecessary, so why haven't the gas price come down?????
Because you are so insignificant That was a softball.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I'm going to speculate like the oil speculators do.

I speculate alot of people will be pissed soon as the price gets to 4.00 or 4.50 and soon the riots will begin.
People said the same thing at $2.00, $2.50, $3.00, etc......

I heard people say they would stop driving if gas was $3/gallon. That didin't happen.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 AM

437 posts, read 631,403 times
The minute I start getting angry about gas prices, I think about the food shortages world, like in Haiti. Still makes my heart bleed when $10 can get me around the corner, but it sure puts things in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies