U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,788,712 times

Advertisements

Any anyone out there ever thought about, or know why our Government gives a Social Security Card to a New born baby 16 yr. before the are able to go to work???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM

600 posts, read 995,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Any anyone out there ever thought about, or know why our Government gives a Social Security Card to a New born baby 16 yr. before the are able to go to work???
gotta tag em, catagorize em, and give em a barcode...

Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,376,156 times
Once born, you can (among other things) put financial assets in their name with yourself as trustee. That will save some on taxes. But you can't do it unless they have an SSN or equivalent TIN......

Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,838,201 times
They give you the forms in the hospital to fill out these days...I was handed the forms while I was in labor.

My relatives asked for my daughter's SSN so they could purchase bonds for her.

The SSN should be called a different name now, it is required for many things besides Social Security. I agree Vanslyke.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM

11,981 posts, read 17,493,843 times
Quote:

Hmmm...common sense?

My son is 8 months old. I needed to get him a social secuirty number so that he can be in my will and estate plan. Its also needed for his college savings plan. Its also needed for tax forms as Mrs Moth and I declare him. I also suspect he will have his own savings account long before he is 16 as we are going to buck the trend and actually teach him to be prudent with money.

Next question?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,318,240 times
Quote:
They didn't used to. I got mine when I was 14. But it is probably a good idea. And if you want to claim them as a dependent, you have to have a SS number.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,197,000 times
As someone who opted out of Social Security, I don't have, nor can get, a social security card.

I do agree with the others though - if you want to claim a child as a deduction - you gotta have a SSN

Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,838,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hmmm...common sense?

My son is 8 months old. I needed to get him a social secuirty number so that he can be in my will and estate plan. Its also needed for his college savings plan. Its also needed for tax forms as Mrs Moth and I declare him. I also suspect he will have his own savings account long before he is 16 as we are going to buck the trend and actually teach him to be prudent with money.

Next question?
So, the SSN is used as a tagging/tracking number...not actually for the purpose it was intended for.

I've never seen a Will that requires a SSN, and a SSN is not required to open a bank account for a minor.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,975,516 times
A social security number is the introduction to your slave master, the Government. After all the government will take care of you from cradle to grave. After all we must make sure you pay your taxes and put money into social security to pay for those already slaves to the corrupt system. So cry all you want little baby you have just become another government slave for the system of the corrupt. Welcome to bondage and the world we call "security"

Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,847,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
A social security number is the introduction to your slave master, the Government. After all the government will take care of you from cradle to grave. After all we must make sure you pay your taxes and put money into social security to pay for those already slaves to the corrupt system. So cry all you want little baby you have just become another government slave for the system of the corrupt. Welcome to bondage and the world we call "security"
lol, the vast majority of americans dont think the way you do, social security is not a corrupt system and the majority of americans approve of it, and it does not make you a slave, without out social security you would officially be a slave working till death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies