U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times

Advertisements

Budweiser makes beer out of rice. A shortage would be catastrophic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 AM

13,781 posts, read 23,755,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
There is a rice shortage scare here! Went to the grocery store and no rice left, maybe one or two lone little bags. Didn't know people loved the stuff that much!!
As long as we don't have a donut shortage, we should be able to get past the "rice scare".

I suspect that if it wasn't publicized so much, nobody would even know that a rice shortage existed. And that would reduce demand...which would end the shortage.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,675,284 times
A while back I went to teh local HEB and they were giving 1Lb bags of rice away with a $10.. purchase. You were allowed upto 5 lbs. I don't know now many bags I got but I won't need rice for a long time. The like htree months later I hear about this shoratge. I ask a rice farmer friend and he says that hteir were crop failures in many contries ;so it will change. I agree taht teh methnol from food crops is crazy and is just a non-winner because you get less gas from a barrel of oilusing it rather than other additives;it get less milage from a tank by 27% according to consumer reports;drives up food cost and if not for governamnt subsisizes makes no profit.More politics than anyhting really.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 AM

955 posts, read 1,952,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Illinois burns 40% of it's corn for biofuels. Lets ban biofuels and watch food prices settle to a more decent prize.
And we can save the ethanol subsidy money too!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,259,232 times
The majority of the worlds people eat rice....

There have been rice shortages globally....

So rice prices go up here as more can be made exporting it than selling it domestically.

Will the prices go back down?

Probably a little but certainly not to the levels they were.

To give y'all an idea,50lb bags of rice at Sams Club have increased from just over $17/50lb to $21/50lb in the last six weeks or so....

And this was BEFORE it became a news story.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM

16,665 posts, read 8,513,515 times
Ethenol did nothing to reduce gas prices at the pump. It did however jack up food prices. In other words food has became the latest cash cow commodity for wall street investors.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,259,232 times
And of course an entire world exists beyond the USA's borders...some of whom actually eat rice.

Question,how did the evil Wall Street investors make people riot over food in Haiti,Egypt and several African nations?

And how did they manage to make the rice crop in Australia fail?

There are over two BILLION people in India and China alone,they probably like to eat on occasion.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 AM

16,665 posts, read 8,513,515 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And of course an entire world exists beyond the USA's borders...
Yeah, thats where most of the stuff we dont eat comes from.
Quote:
some of whom actually eat rice.
Yeah rice, Cheap stuff. Do they make gas out of rice?

Quote:
Question,how did the evil Wall Street investors make people riot over food in Haiti,Egypt and several African nations?

And how did they manage to make the rice crop in Australia fail?
They did? you tell me.
Quote:
There are over two BILLION people in India and China alone,they probably like to eat on occasion.
And the point is?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM

12,256 posts, read 16,169,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
There is a rice shortage scare here! Went to the grocery store and no rice left, maybe one or two lone little bags. Didn't know people loved the stuff that much!!
I noticed the same thing when I went to get some mashed potatoes - i get this big box from Sams thats lasts about 4 months but when I went there weren't any. Then when I went back the box thats usually $9 was $11.75 My mom said people are buying it because it's cheap and it fills you up so you don't have to eat as much meat and vegatables.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Properly seasoned, sawdust can make a satisfying sidedish as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies