U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,657,270 times

Advertisements

I've been curious as to what is Mexico's idenity. I'm asking for some help here to understand what Mexico was before the Conquistadors of Spain arrived. I'd also like to understand the demographics of what Mexico is today.I've been doing some research (just the internet as of now..i feel i'm going to have to read quite a few books on the subject...) on the matter and just wondered if people would chime in with their expertise. (BTW-this piqued my curiousity when i was younger researching my Cherokee ancestors..)

Another thing is the term "mestizo". What does mestizo actually imply in Mexico? Is Mexico really a "mixed" country?

What is the make-up of the Mexican government as far as nationalities/race goes?

Did the Spanish co-exist with the "natives"? (Judging on the Conquistador's track-record, i highly doubt that!)

Are there reservations in Mexico as there are in the U.S?

Thanks...any and all help would be appreciated! B G F!

(BTW-MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!>>>AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!)

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-24-2006 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 06:36 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Here are some sources to begin with... it would take a while to answer all of your questions, but these should get you going!

Vento, Arnoldo C.
Mestizo : the history, culture, and politics of the Mexican and the Chicano : the emerging Mestizo-Americans / Arnoldo Carlos Vento.
Lanham, Md. : University Press of America, c1998.

Gruzinski, Serge.
The mestizo mind : the intellectual dynamics of colonization and globalization / Serge Gruzinski ; translated from the French by Deke Dusinberre
New York : Routledge, 2002

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/mx.html (broken link)

The following are citations for journal articles, which I got from subscription databases... you'll have to contact your local library for the full article, or I can try to email them. Also, you can use the subject headings to find other sources!

Title: Expanding ethnicity in sixteenth-century Anahuac: ideologies of ethnicity and gender in the nation-building process
Personal Author: Ward, Thomas
Source: MLN v. 116 no. 2 (March 2001) p. 419-52
Publication Year: 2001
Subject(s): Mexico/History/Spanish colony, 1540-1810; Ethnic groups/Mexico; Aztecs/Historiography; Nationalism/Mexico; Gender identity

Title: The Destiny of Utopia as an Intercultural and Mestizo Phenomenon
Personal Author: Ainsa, Fernando
Journal Name: Diogenes (International Council for Philosophy and Humanistic Studies)
Source: Diogenes (International Council for Philosophy and Humanistic Studies) v. 53 no. 1 (2006) p. 31-43
Publication Year: 2006
Subject(s): Utopias; Globalization; Latin America/Politics and government; Latin America/Economic policy; Political violence/Latin America

Title: Persistence of native values: the Inquisition and the Indians of colonial Mexico
Personal Author: Greenleaf, Richard E.
Journal Name: The Americas (West Bethesda, Md.)
Source: The Americas (West Bethesda, Md.) v. 50 (January 1994) p. 351-76
Publication Year: 1994
Subject(s): Indigenous peoples/Mexico/Religion and mythology; Syncretism (Religion); Inquisition/Mexico; Mexico/History/Sources; Culture conflict; Trials (Heresy)/Mexico

Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here are some sources to begin with... it would take a while to answer all of your questions, but these should get you going!
Thanks gizmo980! Merry Christmas to you!!

Old 12-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Bumping again!

Those of you that usually respond to illegal/legal immigration issues,please respond!
Nah... most of them don't bother learning about the subject, since they might actually discover they're wrong.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
I believe Mexico was inhabited by several different native cultures before the Spanish came. There is lots in history about it, and the destruction of the people (see http://indian-cultures.com/)

During a visit to Mexico City I had the good fortune of having a driver (I was on a work assignment with perks) and was taken to many unusual sites and landmarks of the driver's early culture. He was proud of his heritage, as well he should be and made it clear to this Yank that there had been an advanced and civilized world in Mexico long before the conquering of his people. This visit was more than 30-odd years ago, and I remember it as if it were yesterday because of his enthusiasm and pride.

As for mixed blood - yes, over the years many people intermarry and intermingle so it is not always possible to determine people's racial or ethnic background. Mestizo is not generally used in a flattering way, and I avoid its use.

And btw, I am not one that responds to any thread on immigration, legal or illegal. I have no tolerance for intolerance.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Nah... most of them don't bother learning about the subject, since they might actually discover they're wrong.
...or blinded by hate!

BTW- I am against illegal immigration!

Is anyone curious to know who the illegal/legal immigrants are coming into the U.S. for good and bad! It's the same as knowing what arab culture is about due to the "terrorist"!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-26-2006 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 04:04 AM

Quote:
BTW- I am against illegal immigration!
To be fair, I don't think anyone is "for" illegal immigration... some of us just don't think they deserve horrible treatment, and that legal immigrants shouldn't be lumped in with them. Anyway, I won't start another thread on that!!

Quote:
Is anyone curious to know who the illegal/legal immigrants are coming into the U.S. for good and bad! It's the same as knowing what arab culture is about due to the "terrorist"!
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're saying here...

Old 12-27-2006, 06:42 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
Quote:
Is anyone curious to know who the illegal/legal immigrants are coming into the U.S. for good and bad!
Why would they come to the United States to commit crime? Where do the American Law Breakers head to when they commit a crime? If you were smart, you'd commit a crime in Mexico, the United States has very harsh prison terms in regards to other countries. They don't desire crossing the border for other reasons except for wages and family or friends being present in the Estados Unidos. The only way to decipher if an illegal immigrant has a criminal record is taking their fingerprint, other than this, you have no way of knowing. Since La Migra, or Border Patrol, only has 18,000 members including 6,000 national guardsmen, and our covering 2,000 miles of border, people can easily slip through.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
To be fair, I don't think anyone is "for" illegal immigration... some of us just don't think they deserve horrible treatment, and that legal immigrants shouldn't be lumped in with them. Anyway, I won't start another thread on that!!

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're saying here...
I understand your point of of the bad rap "illegals" get and i totally agree with you! (as i have posted before, i've met my share of "good-illegals" too!)I've lived in Phoenix (west side) for 2 years in a predominantly Mexican/Spanish neighborhood.

I don't lump them all together (at least i wasn't trying to-you have to admit, though, they (legal and illegal-some sort of underground railroad thing going on) go together hand in hand especially those from Mexico!

I was trying to convey that with the arabs, the average citizen knew nothing about arab culture, (i.e. terrorist-especially our government) nowadays the average U.S. citizen nows nothing about Mexico or its illegal/legal immigrants that are coming into the U.S and the underground railroad they have paved in the southwest U.S.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Why would they come to the United States to commit crime? Where do the American Law Breakers head to when they commit a crime? If you were smart, you'd commit a crime in Mexico, the United States has very harsh prison terms in regards to other countries. They don't desire crossing the border for other reasons except for wages and family or friends being present in the Estados Unidos. The only way to decipher if an illegal immigrant has a criminal record is taking their fingerprint, other than this, you have no way of knowing. Since La Migra, or Border Patrol, only has 18,000 members including 6,000 national guardsmen, and our covering 2,000 miles of border, people can easily slip through.
How do you explain the recent big drug (find) bust in Tonoho O'odham Indian reservation which has been a heavy drug-trafficking route? All kinds of people south of the U.S. want to "get paid"! You know this day in age most want to get paid/rich quickly! There are some who see the U.S. as a dumping ground to "make it big".

Also, if you don't check with the customs on the border and bypass the border on your free-will, that is essentially breaking a law whether your record is legit from any central/south american country, a federal law at that!

How do you dechiper an "illegal" if he/she never checks into customs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or