U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM

259 posts, read 729,498 times

Advertisements

Americans have somewhat overcame racisms against blacks and other "minorities". But still, in 2008 hatred against people of other religion, sexual orientation etc is still so acceptable.
Even worse. If you yourself have experience discrimination, you of anybody should understand and be more acceptting to differences in our society. But that is not the case and I just don't get it! I am so sick of Ignorant people. My suggestion to you, travel the world. Try to interact with more then your"own kind". They wont bite you. Muslims are not bad people. Gays are not bad people. I thought that this was a country that everybody was welcomed but it doesn't seam that way anymore. How sad is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,237,338 times
When things go "bad", people try to find someone to blame, it's always been that way. Unfortunately. I believe there are always good and bad people, no matter where you are. I try to find the good ones and avoid the bad ones

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,327,579 times
I hate most people equally.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,770,541 times
Typically, writers such as the OP are complaining that they want to be accepted although what they do is unacceptable. The greatest issue facing our societies are the "accept everyone as they are without expectation of decency in return" fallacies.

While the "touchy-feelies" are often the kinder-gentler attitude, sometimes, we must not tolerate actions by rebellious people only wanting to have things their way.

I don't mean for this to make me sound cruel or harsh, actually I am quite the opposite, I just recognize that certain behaviors by certain societal elements are very derogatory to the whole society.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 PM

259 posts, read 729,498 times
When did being Muslim, gay or black become unaccepting behavior?

Last edited by ktalley; 04-24-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM

269 posts, read 720,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Typically, writers such as the OP are complaining that they want to be accepted although what they do is unacceptable. The greatest issue facing our societies are the "accept everyone as they are without expectation of decency in return" fallacies.
The OP was talking about racial, sexual orientation, and religious acceptance... I don't think any of these things calls for anyone's "acceptance"... Whether you're Muslim or Jewish... Being gay or straight... Or Christian or non-Christian...

No one has the right (although they may have an opinion) to deem neither a gay person, nor a Muslim "unacceptable"...

I don't think she's talking about rapists, child abusers and murderers...

Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,960,039 times
Default Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Americans have somewhat overcame racisms against blacks and other "minorities". But still, in 2008 hatred against people of other religion, sexual orientation etc is still so acceptable.
Even worse. If you yourself have experience discrimination, you of anybody should understand and be more acceptting to differences in our society. But that is not the case and I just don't get it! I am so sick of Ignorant people. My suggestion to you, travel the world. Try to interact with more then your"own kind". They wont bite you. Muslims are not bad people. Gays are not bad people. I thought that this was a country that everybody was welcomed but it doesn't seam that way anymore. How sad is that.

Last time I checked free speech and personal views of race, religion and lifestyle are still American princples. Now as long as your don't violate the rights of someone because they are black, white, red, muslim, or jew, or even christian you are allowed to protest and say what you want if you dislike someone else. But I would hope someday people put aside the differences and that includes the whole world not just America but that won't ever happen. When you say travel the world make sure you go to china and view what happens when Government tells you what people can say and do. Freedom gives people the chance to express their likes and dislikes of all people. It's our governments job to protect all rights of everyone.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,897,732 times
There are only two things I hate; those who are intolerant of other people's cultures. And the Dutch.

-Nigel Powers. From Austin Powers: Goldmember

Good movie, funny quote in context of the movie, but I digress.

It's been demonstrated that there is discrimination against atheists and muslims,hence why I don't go around professing to everyone i'm an atheist.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 862,224 times
Quote:
How is being Black a behavior

Old 04-24-2008, 04:43 PM

269 posts, read 720,821 times
Quote:
Boy, I'd hate to be a black Muslim homosexual in today's society... My "unacceptable" behavior might get me stoned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies