U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,756,129 times
Reputation: 11318

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
chiel & BBkaren I've never seen affirmative action apply to any other job other than entry level types- the upper echelon versions aren't the same gig.
If race isn't represented statistically in an industry, I see no reason for getting rid of it.
I wasn't disagreeing with affirmative action. People don't know what it was intended for and make assumptions.

I believe in equal representation particularly when you have two candidates who equally meet the qualifications.

I've seen it in more than entry-level positions. In the 1970's there were a lot of forced integration in the workplace court decisions because businesses refused to do so on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
 
991 posts, read 1,390,802 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Please read the rest of the thread before jumping to conclusions.
Jackson and Sharpton are political stooges - it doesn't matter what they think. Obama is black, or African-American if you prefer. His skin color tells you that he has some white blood, as do most American blacks. This racial dilution is mostly due to rape of slaves, but in his case it was more benign.
I believe that, if he wins the presidency, he will become the most important role model for young blacks, even surpassing Michael Jordan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,803,979 times
Reputation: 2772
gorgeet thats only true if he does a good job. If he does a crappy job, it only reinforces crappy stereotypes. thats why he didnt get my vote, and why I'm against racism from blacks who only vote for him on basis of being black. He's got to win on merit and merit alone. PERIOD.
I think whoever is president next has the burden of GYnormous mess unprecidented by any other administration in history. Villifying commerce, punishing with undue taxation, beholden to his own version of special interests at the expense of the greater good- sorry, it doesn't work for me. We have serious economic issues going on that require a good deal of finesse & accumen to resolve. It wont take much to tumble a house of cards. I don't have faith in Obama or my collective govt to solve anything with present mentalities in play. He's blind to his greater constituency and needs to grow the hell up or this job will crush him. Michelle Obama has cause to be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,574,228 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
...I believe that, if he wins the presidency, he will become the most important role model for young blacks, even surpassing Michael Jordan.
If that happens, I sure hope so. At least he'd have some sort of positive impact on the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: McKeesport, PA
2,334 posts, read 6,995,924 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Villifying commerce, punishing with undue taxation, beholden to his own version of special interests at the expense of the greater good- sorry, it doesn't work for me. We have serious economic issues going on that require a good deal of finesse & accumen to resolve. It wont take much to tumble a house of cards. I don't have faith in Obama or my collective govt to solve anything with present mentalities in play. He's blind to his greater constituency and needs to grow the hell up or this job will crush him. Michelle Obama has cause to be concerned.
But George W. Bush is doing fine (in that he's not "crushed"); and he got us into this mess. In fact, he won two terms! With his track record of failure and pig-headedness....oh, and not to mention that he is so blind to the American public, he has a hard time admitting we are barreling towards a recession! Yeah, I think Obama will be ok .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
 
991 posts, read 1,390,802 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
gorgeet thats only true if he does a good job. If he does a crappy job, it only reinforces crappy stereotypes. thats why he didnt get my vote, and why I'm against racism from blacks who only vote for him on basis of being black. He's got to win on merit and merit alone. PERIOD.
I think whoever is president next has the burden of GYnormous mess unprecidented by any other administration in history. Villifying commerce, punishing with undue taxation, beholden to his own version of special interests at the expense of the greater good- sorry, it doesn't work for me. We have serious economic issues going on that require a good deal of finesse & accumen to resolve. It wont take much to tumble a house of cards. I don't have faith in Obama or my collective govt to solve anything with present mentalities in play. He's blind to his greater constituency and needs to grow the hell up or this job will crush him. Michelle Obama has cause to be concerned.
I think you are being entirely too pessimistic about Obama. If he sat there and did nothing but play video games all day, he would be a VAST improvement over Bush. I know he wants to bump up the taxes on the rich and reduce them on the middle class - good. I know he has good diplomatic skills and isn't afraid to use them - good. I know he is inheriting enormous liabilities in the God-awful Iraq mess, massive war debt, and screwed up economy - thanks to Bush, and it will be a difficult task ... so I HOPE Obama will surround himself with the likes of Gore and others who can give him the guidence he will require. If McCain wins I will start looking for property in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,803,979 times
Reputation: 2772
bbkaren- I'm not against his success, I'm concerned about his potential failure, ESPECIALLY if he's going to be left holding the bag for 90yrs of bad mgmt and gets blamed for a depression. If it happens on his watch- I think you've seen the scope of ignorance running amok in blogs to know the avg american has no clue where their unhappiness comes from, and tendancy to blame the wrong source.
Practically takes 20 phd's to discern true cause and effect these days, partitioned into discreet industries of expertise where the greater picture is lost. Leaves most people at the mercy of confusing, overly simplified sound bytes generated by K street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,574,228 times
Reputation: 874
We've been the successful country we've been all these years because of a certain way our government works.

If someone is going to come on board in the name of "change" and send all our country's attributes and qualities packing because it's time for "change", I don't think that's a good thing.

Change for the sake of change is bad.

Changing things that have become wrong with the gov't I agree with. But we need to hang tightly onto our American-ness, regardless of who thinks it's time to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,803,979 times
Reputation: 2772
miss shona, had you been actually paying attention to anything beyond your own myopic view of the world, you'd know how I feel about bush. Too busy selling again I see. Miss mrs mr oblivious?

You've proven yourself to be conniving, presumptuous and hostile already, which means your input has been devalued to the status of mental patient on a soapbox in times square of any other racist. It means you arent willing to be equal. You've found it far more profitable to engage in discrimination of your own version, and misrepresent what real talent and merit is about. You are not welcome in my home. What a shame to waste intelligence on narcisism. NAACP should rethink its investment in BS. A mind is truly a horrible thing to waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,574,228 times
Reputation: 874
Miss Shona seems, at times, to be a caricature of the problem itself, and the poster child for what the rest of us are trying to express.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top