Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times

Advertisements

I see in intelligence is once again in short supply in this thread.

One thing that I'm sick of hearing is how "Black America" needs to do this or that. 99% of the people who make such posts live in places like Iowa or some suburban cul-de-sac where the only exposure to black people is BET. As much as I despise race hustlers like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, they make an extremely vaild point: Alot of white folks are ignorant about the world around them. I don't like what's on "BET" either, but I don't judge Black people as a monolithic group. They are as varied and unique as any other race. As right-wing as I am, I will submit that the overriding reason Obama won is becuase we are tried of the veiled racism that prevades the conservtave movement.

Now, I will say this:

There is validity to the argument that a) Black culture as it currently stands is degrading, and b) There is alot of excuse making when it comes to racism. IMHO, the issue as it stands is Liberalism and the hadnout mentality it breeds. The Blacks I know who stand on conservative values far outshine redneck whites.

Recipe for black success:

-Stop listening to suburban white folk
-put god at the forefront of your life
-stad on solid conservtave values

Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, assuming you're white, Don't you just get so sick and tired of having all of black America's problems being caused by racist whites? Don't get tired of having to bite your tongue at work so you don't get sued for saying something honest about black America?
I am Portuguese/Italian, not exactly White but I understand what you are saying. I work for a large financial company and we are a very diverse company but I often observe that Black people more than ANY other group including Asians, Middle Easterners, Indians, Hispanics seem to TAKE PRIDE in acting stupid, talking loud or trying to be DIFFERENT than everybody else. Talking LOUD is one of those "cultural" things that are beyond my comprehension. I have taken all the proper "diversity" courses the company has offered but I still have hard times understanding it

Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am Portuguese/Italian, not exactly White but I understand what you are saying. I work for a large financial company and we are a very diverse company but I often observe that Black people more than ANY other group including Asians, Middle Easterners, Indians, Hispanics seem to TAKE PRIDE in acting stupid, talking loud or trying to be DIFFERENT than everybody else. Talking LOUD is one of those "cultural" things that are beyond my comprehension. I have taken all the proper "diversity" courses the company has offered but I still have hard times understanding it
I am sure we have had this discussioon before but I will engage in it again since some people like to lay their opinions on stereotypes...

Just because you see some dummies who are black conduct themselves in a non professional manner does NOT mean that "blacks take pride in acting stupid, etc"

I know its hard for some of you to understand that one or some does not equal all.

I work for a large company as well, and I don't see this from black people at my company.

What I do see? is professionals taking care of their careers and the companies business.

It may be a shock to some of you as well, but I see all different races talking, sharing a laugh while walking down the hall and even sharing a lunch table!

Diversity classes help bring the sharing aspect to light. It shows that everyone can work together to reach a common goal. Those classes are not meant to explain away unprofessional behavior as you are thinking they should.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am saying in a genral sense. Now there are many,many successful blacks in this country but there are still waaaay to many the dwell at the bottom. I do understand racism but I really would like to take that out of the equation and look at things that blacks themsleves can do. We, blacks, cannot control the way whites treat us not can we make them change that kind of behavior but we can controll ourselves.

So what can we do to get a more stable footing in America? I ask this question because I sure would like to do more than just mentor black kids, I don'think I'm doing enough, that is far from enough. Blacks have to do much more. I would like to hear any suggestions or opinions........
Dependancy on Government and the democrat party to give them something individuals should do for themselves.
Also the more you point out race the more you will depend on that for your solutions. You are a individual not a group. If you think like a group you will go down as a group. Only you can make a better life for yourself and your family. Nobody has a stable footing, White people just seem to have it because there are more of them. Hispanics and white people and even asian people in some areas dont have a stable footing. It is only those individuals that have unstable lives not a group. If you want to stablize your life, stablize your dependancy on government assistance. That is the first task to change in your life as an individual. From then on it is up to you. Pick a direction and go with it. Dr king said something once I'm still waiting on and hoping people of all color will come to know.
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Be free from government oppression of us all, be free from the dependancy it creates it's social and ecomonic revision of America. Be free from taxes, social and personal laws that enslave every person until they die. For what, what has government ever really given black people that they didnt do for themselves. It was the people and most importantly individuals who change things not governments.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,298 times
I think all this foolishness is a reaction to fifty years of Racism spewed out by the likes of La Raza, NAACP, Black Muslim and ACORN Ads.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
As a white person, if I were a door to door salesman and had the opportunity to either enter a colony of lepers or a house where the success or failure of blacks in America was being discussed, I would choose without hesitation the leper colony.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
O.P. posed a ridiculous question. I know many many (middle class) black people who are having no trouble at all. . . on the other hand. . . a background of "getto life", no good role models, sub standard education, physical and psycological problems associated with being raised in one parent or other dysfunctional households, can be quite a problem for anyone. What is wrong with our society that the greatest number of people affected by these conditions are black?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
ron if i knew more people like you in the poor urban areas, and there are some i am pleased to say, but if numbers sheer numbers were there with your good attitude, it could change the world.
live forever ron.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
I can't for the life of me understand why a Black person would make such a thread and why Black people even bother responding to the inevitable drivel that gets posted in them.

All I know is that I will not have anybody hoisting accusations at me based on things someone else has done, I won't have anybody telling me that the problems of other Black people are my responsibility to solve, and I won't be pigeon holed into some all-encompassing "Black Culture". Until the usual suspects learn to treat fellow human beings with this modicum of respect, they'll never have productive discussions on this subject. Ever. For as much as the posters in question(whose names do not need to be pointed out) complain about how unfair it is that Whites are blamed for so many societal ills, they sure have absolutely no problem generalizing people of other races.

Whatever, this is never a problem for me in my everyday life, until outside sources(generally older, generally lower class, generally media) get involved. So you won't see me in any shouting matches on the subject.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Ok if we take racism and prejudices out of the equation I would say we would have a better chance of succeeding if more of us educated ourselves and our offsprings. .
In that case, only 2 things are needed:
- Good schools
- Positive role models in television and movies, instead of the "traditional" thug, rapper, basketbal player that visits his baby's mother once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies