U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,701,403 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

Here's another little reason, institutionalized theft perpetrated against black motorists:
Driving through Tenaha, Texas, doesn't pay for some - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM

540 posts, read 1,086,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In that case, only 2 things are needed:
- Good schools
- Positive role models in television and movies, instead of the "traditional" thug, rapper, basketbal player that visits his baby's mother once a year.
Good schools are typically good schools because the kids educated there received and continue to receive a solid foundation with reinforcement at home. The best teachers therefore want to work there. Word gets around that a school is great, and it perpetuates itself.

The administration can play a large role. So can teachers. But the key to a good school is ultimately made by an investment of the parents. You simply don't see that at predominantly black schools today. And those where you do, well, test scores tend to improve a bit.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,498,867 times
As opposed to Africa? Europe? Asia? Latin America? Relative to what?

I guess Colin Powell, Condi, the president Obama, Robert Johnson, Oprah, Clarence Thomas, Jay-Z, the NBA are just accidents.

The secret to success is to make responsible decisions and work hard.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM

570 posts, read 1,393,933 times
Default Black On Black Crime, We All Pay

Black On Black Crime Coalition

"BLACK ON BLACK CRIME STATISTICS

While African Americans comprise 12% of the U.S. population, 45% of all murder victims in 2002 were African American, 91% of whom were killed by African Americans. Nationally, homicide is the leading cause of death for black men and second leading cause of death for black women ages 15-24. There have been over 250 homicides reported over the last 5-6 years in Pulaski County. United States spends an average of over $4.5 billion on emergency and physical/occupational therapy associated with crime-related injuries/deaths. "

Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 18,342 times
Blacks have a hard time succeeding anywhere, not just America.. look at Africa.

And quite frankly, after working with a lot of them, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatescape View Post

And quite frankly, after working with a lot of them, it doesn't surprise me one bit.
Hmmm. One African American President, two Secretaries of State, two Supreme Court Justices, one Attorney General, three governors, six Senators, 88 Medal of Honor Recipients, 42 currently serving members of the House, more mayors than I care to count and elected officials by the scores and I won't even go into areas of science, engineering, medicine, sports and entertainment. And all of that in just 40 years since the outlawing of racial discrimination. I am more than willing to put those achievements up against any other minority group who has faced the same challenges in that short amount of time.

This thread is the typical glass 3/4 empty argument. If you choose to only see the shortcomings, so be it.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,373,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatescape View Post

Sounds like someone was upset for getting bumped from the illustrious position of fry cook!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM

948 posts, read 3,408,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Black americans have a hard time succeeding but a lot of blacks from other countries do well. They are extremely intelligent compared to their black american counterparts.

What countries?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,417,077 times
Thank you ACORN, alternative education works

Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 18,342 times
My coworker is Black and fits every stereotype I ever had of Black people, it's sad.

Late everyday, steals company time, hits on woman and constantly says sexually degrading things, is lazy, falls asleep at work, etc etc. It's ridiculous, and he says he doesn't like the stereotypes that Blacks have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies