Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,303 times

Advertisements

It didn't even mean anything in the 50s when they had us recite it every morning at the beginning of school like good little automatons. If your group wants to say the pledge, do so. If you don't want to pledge, stay seated. It's a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Wrong - every religion has a "God" - they may take different names - Allah, Budda etc - but, it is a reference to a Supreme Being
But some are not religious, acknowledging no "god" and therefore this new addition should be removed. It's left over baggage from a different era.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,077,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, GOD as such is the deity only of Christianity. Meanwhile, the tort in its ethical sense lies in the previously noted aggrandizement and elevation of themselves and their "special" beliefs by certain Christians. In the legal sense, it has to do with the actions of the government in light of its obligation to neutrality in matters of religion, first in having established the 1954 wording at all, and second in having made recitation of that wording mandatory upon school children. These certain Christians tred where they do not belong in beseeching the government to bestow special favors upon them, and the government treds where it does not belong both in acceding to those wishes and in then enforcing the effects of them upon others.

If it isn't a "serious issue", why would anyone care if the words were taken out? No biggie, right? Just do it...
You are missing my point. There is nothing mandatory about the pledge of allegiance. So no one is forced to say it. If as a Wiccan I want to think that my country is blessed by my God and Goddess, and you want to think the country is OK as it without seeking a spritual source, grand. So where is the offense. No one is "lording it over you" so to speak. Just relax and say it if you wish or not if you don't. How often are you being asked to participate in pledging allegiance? Is someone forcing you to say the words you don't want to say, or are you just going along with a crowd?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It didn't even mean anything in the 50s when they had us recite it every morning at the beginning of school like good little automatons. If your group wants to say the pledge, do so. If you don't want to pledge, stay seated. It's a free country.
That was my point earlier Rich, even as kids we made fun of it and said silly things instead.

there is a Catholic prayer called the Hail Mary, and we would have to say it as part of the rosary, over and over ten times in a row. And there is a line that says
Holy are you amongst woman. An Irish writer has as the title of his book
A monk swimming because as a kid he thought they were the right words and said them for years. So all this worry about pledging is just madness.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
But some are not religious, acknowledging no "god" and therefore this new addition should be removed. It's left over baggage from a different era.
They are all "religious" and there is no reason to change the Pledge.

Don't like the words "Under God"?? Don't say them.

Get over it

Old 04-26-2008, 11:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
You are missing my point. There is nothing mandatory about the pledge of allegiance. So no one is forced to say it. If as a Wiccan I want to think that my country is blessed by my God and Goddess, and you want to think the country is OK as it without seeking a spritual source, grand. So where is the offense. No one is "lording it over you" so to speak. Just relax and say it if you wish or not if you don't. How often are you being asked to participate in pledging allegiance? Is someone forcing you to say the words you don't want to say, or are you just going along with a crowd?

As a child I WAS forced to say it everyday before the start of class. Luckily we were all so young it was just a mumbled formality to us and didn't mean a thing.(begs the question, why say it at all?)
Sit it out? A child? In a classroom filled with peers who'll think you're a freak if you don't fall in line? Not many children can do that.

No adult is forced to say it...so why is it still even in existence?

It's unnecessary and stupid. And a non-issue ...it should be eliminated and forgotten.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's unnecessary and stupid. And a non-issue ...it should be eliminated and forgotten.
How about eliminating our Flag? After all - its unnecessary

How about eliminating the 4th of July and all the fireworks shows? After all, enjoying something that is not only fun but steeped in patriotism is unncessary too -

Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
How about eliminating our Flag? After all - its unnecessary

How about eliminating the 4th of July and all the fireworks shows? After all, enjoying something that is not only fun but steeped in patriotism is unncessary too -

Comparing apples to zebras doesn't win an argument.

AND: the TOPIC is the Pledge.......

Old 04-26-2008, 11:54 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Under God? Not really. More and more people are openly rejecting the idea that God even exists, much less how many people are willing to live by the 10 commandments.
Oh really? Not sure where you get such information.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
As a child I WAS forced to say it everyday before the start of class. Luckily we were all so young it was just a mumbled formality to us and didn't mean a thing.(begs the question, why say it at all?)
Sit it out? A child? In a classroom filled with peers who'll think you're a freak if you don't fall in line? Not many children can do that.

No adult is forced to say it...so why is it still even in existence?

We were not forced to say it, we were made to stand up, but I never ever remember a teacher standing over me making me actually say the words. I went to Catholic school and we had so many things to say before school, before lunch, after lunch, at the end of school, it really was meaningless, just a barrier to getting to do what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies