Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

While there will always be examples of fathers experiencing discrimination at work due to their fatherhood, that is really just anecdotal. The wage gap is very real and discrimination against women in the workplace has just gotten more sophisticated.

Women still only earn $0.77 to every $1.00 earned by a man.

WAGE - About <i>Getting Even</i> (http://www.wageproject.org/content/wage/gettingeven.php - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:14 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I would never claim that raising children is not work, cause it is.

But raising children is not a job because you won't get paid for it.
There are many who have "job" yet do not see compensation for doing their "job"

Raising a child is the most important, and potentially rewarding "job" that anyone can have

Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Good Lord. Hire women for jobs, hire men for jobs. If they cannot do the job, meet the responsibilities, etc, then manage the situation either by helping them stay if they are valuable to you, or terminating the employment based on not being able to do the job. But, with the technology in place today, many jobs can be accomplished without sitting in a space in your company. I decided to leave a job because of family concerns and could not meet the geographical constraints of the job, but because I was a valued employee, I was offered the opportunity to telecommute and fly up to the main office every so often. I am more productive here and I teleconference, hold meetings, collaborate from my house. If the business cannot handle that, then the parents have to make some decisions either to ensure they have "sick" day coverage daycare, or that they have to make a different life decision. I chose to stay home until my children were in school because the cost of day care, transport etc so cut into my salary that it was better to stay home and eat mac and cheese and watch videos vs steaks and going out. So working it out can be done, no matter what. Hire Parents and let them handle their affairs.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Good Lord. Hire women for jobs, hire men for jobs. If they cannot do the job, meet the responsibilities, etc, then manage the situation either by helping them stay if they are valuable to you, or terminating the employment based on not being able to do the job. But, with the technology in place today, many jobs can be accomplished without sitting in a space in your company. I decided to leave a job because of family concerns and could not meet the geographical constraints of the job, but because I was a valued employee, I was offered the opportunity to telecommute and fly up to the main office every so often. I am more productive here and I teleconference, hold meetings, collaborate from my house. If the business cannot handle that, then the parents have to make some decisions either to ensure they have "sick" day coverage daycare, or that they have to make a different life decision. I chose to stay home until my children were in school because the cost of day care, transport etc so cut into my salary that it was better to stay home and eat mac and cheese and watch videos vs steaks and going out. So working it out can be done, no matter what. Hire Parents and let them handle their affairs.

Thank you once again for a healthy dose of common sense.

It's so odd to me that those who scream the loudest about "Welfare queens" are also the ones who don't believe in hiring women

Old 04-27-2008, 02:39 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Good for both of you!

Don't hire women with children! Then they can stay at home with their kids , collect Welfare, and live off YOU without having to work!

I don't want to pay welfare to any able bodied person. If a person DECIDES to have children that person should figure out a way to support the kid. My company is not obligated to hire someone that I know from experience will do less work, talk on the phone more, take more time off and pi** off the other workers in the office that have to make up for their shoddy performance and having to run out of the office because of the babysitter, the kid is sick, the kid got kicked out of school, the kid has a game, the kid blah, blah, blah. Everybody has personal responsibilities and people are getting resentful of (usually) mothers and especially single mohters playing the martyrd parent role. You have them, you figure out the difficult situations. The rest of us are figuring out our own problems.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:45 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
While there will always be examples of fathers experiencing discrimination at work due to their fatherhood, that is really just anecdotal. The wage gap is very real and discrimination against women in the workplace has just gotten more sophisticated.

Women still only earn $0.77 to every $1.00 earned by a man.

WAGE - About <i>Getting Even</i> (http://www.wageproject.org/content/wage/gettingeven.php - broken link)
These statistics are a load. Women make less per hour because of the large amounts of time they take off out of their working years for various reasons....to raise children, to go back to school while their husband supports them, etc. The fact is that if a woman does not opt out of the career path she will indeed make the same as her male co-worker. Have children and drop out of the work force for 8 years then come back and scream Joe Blow who stuck it out for those 8 years is making $40,000 per year more than you. NOBODY IS GOING TO CARE. Your choice.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
KevK - Please, enlighten all of us as to exactly what rights women have "lost" since the 70's - and remember, the ERA was being debated in the 70's and 80's (and 90's) which INCREASED rights
I think the ERA being brought in could offer opposition to his argument only if it had actually passed, rather than just being debated. I'm not sure that it has much relevance here at all.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
The fact is that if a woman does not opt out of the career path she will indeed make the same as her male co-worker. Have children and drop out of the work force for 8 years then come back and scream Joe Blow who stuck it out for those 8 years is making $40,000 per year more than you. NOBODY IS GOING TO CARE. Your choice.
Very true. While I don't doubt there is still some discrimination against women for employment, the "wage gap" is not proof as there are more credible explanations than blaming it on discrimination. If somebody chooses a less demanding job or drops out of the workforce to raise children, then of course it follows that they will earn less money.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I've employed people before and have been in management. I like having a certain amount of personal time/sick time/vacation time written in stone. All people have personal issues that need to sometimes be addressed on company time. Just because you are a mother, in my eyes, you get no more leeway than any one else. You might have a school play to attend at 2:30 pm wednesday and if you have banked time and can work it out with others in the office, fine--go. Same as the man who wants to see a major league baseball game and got stellar tickets. Fine--go. It's equal to me. I'm all about equality.

Before someone plays the emotion card....It won't work on me. Having children is a choice. This decision is made by the parent and they should figure out all the difficult details....One being the real possibility that unless you are in a high demand job, employers are usually going to choose employees that are not going to be taking off work a lot for personal reasons. Young children require a lot of attention. Everyone knows this and that is why employers do not want to hire women that either have young kids or are planning to get pregnant and take a lot of time off then come back to work and disrupt the work environment with personal things.
Ellie, I absolutely agree with you.
I get sick of covering for people who have kids and expect every benefit known to man because of their kids. Frequent time off for doctor appointments, kid’s plays, soccer games, etc.

One thing I’ve learned over my life is that we can’t have it all. I’m childfree, put in my hours, put in more hours for parental units and they feel entitled to those hours and time off, everyone else can pick up the slack.

Women did it to themselves; certainly not all of them, but enough that there is backlash. The entitlement parents have caused this for everyone and it gets worse with each succeeding generation. No, you don’t deserve special consideration simply because you choose to have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Janeann, it looks like you have integrity, a lot of women don’t.
They spend their time telecommuting playing with their kids and avoiding daycare costs. They can be less productive because their kids are at their ankles all day long. There have been studies on work product of telecommuting parents.

And yes, a lot of managers don’t have the integrity to get rid of bad performers, they make others pick up the slack. This happens enough time and there will be backlash against parents.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:53 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
You all don't believe in hiring a woman because of what she MIGHT do????

So what do you propose women do...give up having children?

It's amazing that ALL the men you know NEVER miss work for anything...oh...wait a minute....they don't have to! Because sexism demands that the MOTHER stay home with the sick child, the MOTHER attend PTA meetings, doctor's appointments...OH I see sexism is a good thing!

We'll just overlook that sometimes "daddy" leaves or dies ....so your solution is what?

Sell her children so she can get a job...or like that idiot suggested that to buy groceries and pay the bills she should just marry anyone????

Personally I like the idea of her going on Welfare because it bothers the neocons so much

Well, keep up your sexists rantings...men will like you better if you also hate women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies