U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM
 
19,183 posts, read 28,289,551 times
Reputation: 4002

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Boy, I agree 100%. Look at Obama degrading those who cling to their special religion and guns. Look at the Reverend Wright living in his own segregated and gated community but feels that "my culture is better than yours". Look at the extreme left blogs who "will degrade and debase others from the get-go simply because they look, speak, or believe differently." Look at the exteme environment folks "who begin from an assumption of exceptionalism".
No doubt all of these do need to guard against, and in some cases remedy, the effects of an exclusionary, prideful, and exceptionalistic thinking. You didn't give us anything like the complete (or even an unbiased) list, however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 AM
 
955 posts, read 1,950,699 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No doubt all of these do need to guard against, and in some cases remedy, the effects of an exclusionary, prideful, and exceptionalistic thinking. You didn't give us anything like the complete (or even an unbiased) list, however...
Once again, I totally agree. I was simply presenting one side of the argument in the spirit of being fair and balanced since there is no lack of examples posted about the other end of the spectrum. Satire is fun, and hopefully taken in the spirit in which it was intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 04:28 AM
 
19,183 posts, read 28,289,551 times
Reputation: 4002
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Once again, I totally agree. I was simply presenting one side of the argument in the spirit of being fair and balanced since there is no lack of examples posted about the other end of the spectrum.
Since we're venturing here into concepts that broach the fields of mathematics and statistics, it would perhaps be an appropriate time to note that when there are ten examples of a thing at one end of the spectrum for every one that can be found at the other, it is not called "fair and balanced" to see the cases presented equally. That is called argument from the outliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Satire is fun, and hopefully taken in the spirit in which it was intended.
Satire, like most devices, is the most fun when it is employed in the service of truth. When it is used to mask or subvert the truth, it becomes far less entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 05:13 AM
 
411 posts, read 711,063 times
Reputation: 119
The US is actually the trendsetter in the West, both in social and economic terms.
Europe is traditionally more conservative than America, both in social and economic terms, even if it was reversed after the American occupation of Western Europe.
The two leading daily newspapers in the UK are conservative, and the English-speaking world most popular newspaper is also conservative.
Conservative values are more popular than liberal elitist values, and will always be.
Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 05:48 AM
 
19,183 posts, read 28,289,551 times
Reputation: 4002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Conservative values are more popular than liberal elitist values, and will always be. Get over it.
You champion a set of dead and ineffectual ideals. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,567,671 times
Reputation: 874
Don't seem that dead to me. But whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 AM
 
991 posts, read 1,389,804 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by gorgeetDiscrimination* means looking for differences.
You seem to associate discrimination only with bad things while the word itself is neutral.

Yes you are, you just don't realise it.

A man is not a woman.
A tree is not an animal.
A fish is not a dog.
In all these sentences I have discriminated.
'A man is not a woman' - how profound... The you say that a 'group must discriminate or else it ceases to be a group'... abd I showed you an example of a church group that does not discriminate against anyone, yet survives quite nicely, thank you.
So if you can't see that basic point, that your logic is faulty, then I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 AM
 
991 posts, read 1,389,804 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
The US is actually the trendsetter in the West, both in social and economic terms.
Europe is traditionally more conservative than America, both in social and economic terms, even if it was reversed after the American occupation of Western Europe.
The two leading daily newspapers in the UK are conservative, and the English-speaking world most popular newspaper is also conservative.
Conservative values are more popular than liberal elitist values, and will always be.
Get over it.
The French are about the most 'elitist' people in the world. If anyone is 'elitist' it is the 'Conservatives', who like the 'trickle down' theories, while the 'liberals' want the power to go to the middle working class. You 'elitist' French have it all wrong - as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top