U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 02:59 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,837,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Not even close to all who are in favor of legalization of gay marriage in the nation are left-wing.
Gay marriage is hardly a litmus test for a socially 'advanced' society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,336,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Gay marriage is hardly a litmus test for a socially 'advanced' society.
What does that have to do with what I said?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,974,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Why would anyone other than christian fundamentalists oppose gay marriage? Everybody else understands it's not our business what two other consenting adults do.

I'm not a christian fundamentalist and oppose gay marriage. Two consenting adults can love each other all they want but please dont expect me to agree that marriage is between a man and another man.
So why does it have to be 2 consenting adults and why not 15 consenting adults. They are all adults can't they all marry and love each other. Marriage currently is 2 people one woman and one man love each other and promise to love each other until the day they die.
I prefer it stays that way. Someday if gays are married social discussions will get very confusing when talking about husbands and wives and other relationships normally described in social situtations.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:05 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,837,848 times
Can we stop this gay marriage talk...geeez. How about, EVERYONE gets a civil union, there are no income taxes so there's no "tax breaks" for anyone because no one has to pay anything, if you want it called marriage you get married in a church. There, there's the solution. Is it "advanced" enough?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Someday if gays are married social discussions will get very confusing when talking about husbands and wives and other relationships normally described in social situtations.
Oh wow, what a compelling argument! There might be some confusion in discussions. lol Congratulations on providing the most ridiculous argument I've heard in opposition to gay marriage.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Can we stop this gay marriage talk...geeez. How about, EVERYONE gets a civil union, there are no income taxes so there's no "tax breaks" for anyone because no one has to pay anything, if you want it called marriage you get married in a church. There, there's the solution. Is it "advanced" enough?
That sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,310,370 times
Quote:
Fine with me, but there are many, many more rights and responsibilities besides "tax breaks".

What about probate, trusts, guardianship and powers of attorney, the right to hold common property and immunity from testifying against one's partner in court, hospital visitation rights, the right of inheritance in the absence of a will and the right to make medical decisions if a partner was incapable of making the decision for themselves?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:44 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,634,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I'm not a christian fundamentalist and oppose gay marriage. Two consenting adults can love each other all they want but please dont expect me to agree that marriage is between a man and another man.
So why does it have to be 2 consenting adults and why not 15 consenting adults. They are all adults can't they all marry and love each other. Marriage currently is 2 people one woman and one man love each other and promise to love each other until the day they die.
I prefer it stays that way. Someday if gays are married social discussions will get very confusing when talking about husbands and wives and other relationships normally described in social situtations.
I agree. Probably because you are right. I still think you stole my playbook since you speak my language.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,671,729 times
Quote:
LMFAO...I didn't say anything about the right, only the left. Again, what's "advanced" to the left is what they're in favor of...
Being socially advanced does not mean being "right" or "left" it means doing what leaves people do what they want to do.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Being socially advanced does not mean being "right" or "left" it means doing what leaves people do what they want to do.
Within certain limits.

No polygamy, for example.

Two guys tonguing each other in public, cool. One can even wear an organdy chemise and they can be "married."

Bunch of women in hairnets and Little House on the Prairie dresses? Not cool. They're like mormons, after all...

Wouldn't be civilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or