Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:50 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
And I get equally annoyed with every elitist liberal demanding we become a communist society.

I guess we're both just a couple of annoyed people.
Who said anything about communism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Could I have some other examples of socially advanced?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I see what you're saying, but lets not forget that there are some countries where a person can be executed for being gay. The US is not a terrible place for a gay person by any means, I know.
The people who are opposed to gay rights could help their cause by naming a country where gays are strongly oppressed and deep in the closet, yet life for everyone else is better in that country than here in America. I don't think they can name one country.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
And I get equally annoyed with every elitist liberal demanding we become a communist society.

Right, because every nation I listed that is currently light years ahead of us in securing civil equality is "communist" and "elitist."

Old 04-26-2008, 10:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
It's actually Serbia but I get your point and agree with it.

The sad thing is that this country isn't even the economic leader anymore. Our per capita GDP is falling while for most in Europe it is rising. We used to be the highest in the world. Now we are around 10 depending on the ranking.

But look around. If you travel to some European countries they have history but they also have high tech transport and communications. Their infrastructure is more modern and better maintained. They have better health care systems and their people live longer than here in the US.

We are falling victim to the common problem of many empires. We spend our money overseas, fighting wars and whatnot while the home front suffers. Eventually the house of cards will collapse and we'll have to pick up the pieces. Happened to Russia, happened to the UK, happened to France and it will happen here. Sad we don't learn from history.
We are also destroying ourselves from within. It seems like most liberals WANT America to fail, because the fall of America will be a step in progession towards one world government where all the children of the earth will live in peace and harmony .

To the OP, why don't you move to Europe where you can get married and have free healhcare?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Remember that in a socailist state like russia was the rich actually handout what they want to the masses and make them conform to get it. Otherwise it is off to the politcally correct education center.Even in many countries like france they how call much free speech ;a hate crime.To keep control they have to resort to more and more control.In a communist state they just take you out and shoot you or starve you to death; like South Korea and China.But now China has gotten soft and just beats peole and throws them in prison like we have seen lately.All it takes is to con the people into think that they the party need to take care of you health needs ;give you a job and take all the hassles of life from you so that you have to make no decisions and live happy ever after.They often do it slowly but surely. By the time tha mases find they have been conned;it too late and the storm troopers are sent out to enforce the peoples will. While the party elite sip champagne and smoke big cigars.

Last edited by texdav; 04-26-2008 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 12:54 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Where did we start talking about communism? So many people on this forum seem stuck in the 1960s. Reality check, people. McCarthy is dead. So is the USSR. You can come out of your bomb shelters now.

It just amazes me that Spain was under a dictator for over 30 years that ruled by strict religious oppression to allow gay marriage 20 years later. It's wonderful. It's getting harder and harder to defend the US to my European friends when they're speaking 5 languages, making more money, and coming to the US for cheap shopping trips and to gawk at the curiosity that is our culture.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
I guess America is as socially advanced ( or as ‘communist’) as any democracy because the law in a democracy are very social since democracy itself requires that everyone should be treated equally; that in the eyes of the law everyone is equal.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
While I do think that Americans should consider redefining marriage to include same-sex relationships and even larger marriages like Polygamy and Polyandry.

But considering that the concept of gay marriage is still a relatively new concept, I don't think America should be held to a lower standard for not recognizing gay marriages.

If you wanted a true measurement of how "socially advanced" the United States truly is, count countries that still imprison and execute homosexuals in your list. Also, include places where homosexuality is not illegal per se or rarely enforced, but were the culture is so homophobic that homosexuals are often in fear of their life if it become known that they are gay. Examples include the Bahamas, Jamaica, and some Eastern European countries.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:

France ( for example) communist ? DO you even know what communist means ? I mean really ? On what planet do you live?

Considering it is led by a pretty right wing leader I am surprised to hear this. Sarkozy ( and Chirac before him ) would be interested to hear your tale on his politics.... He is modelling himself on Thatcher , hardly a proponent of Mao or Tito !

And if you think the rest of Europe such as countries like Germany, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Spain , Finland, Ireland ,Italy, Liechtenstein, Belgium, Holland etc... are communists I suggest you pick up a copy of the Economist magazine and read about geo-politics a little bit more....

Your grasp of international politics leaves a lot to be desired if you consider Europe communist.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 04-27-2008 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies