Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Churches can do whatever they please. What any church anywhere says about the matter has no standing at all. Marriage is a condition defined, managed, and controlled by the state. There is no religious role in that whatsoever. No church or church official can marry anyone at all without a state license to do so. You can go revise your canon law all you want. The discussion here has to do with civil law, and the suggestion that civil law as it currently stands in most places is an affront to long-standing principles of the Constitution and to common decency. That anyone would so much as introduce religious standards into the discussion is evidence of how upside-down their understandings of this society are...
Anyone would ignore the importance of religious standards in our society provides evidence of how willfully out of touch with reality their understanding of America actually is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Why not?

In many places, they could be married.

Outlawing Mormonism or shunning Mormons? I don't see how that would signify social advancement...
I wasn't addressing you, though I understand that you are ubiquitous in this thread.

Try to control yourself.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Anyone would ignore the importance of religious standards in our society provides evidence of how willfully out of touch with reality their understanding of America actually is...
What a lot of puffery. Not a single fact contested. You remember facts, don't you? Those are the things from which reality is assembled. You should seek to become better acquainted. The practicality of a world constructed from amorphous imaginations pales in comparison...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What a lot of puffery. Not a single fact contested. You remember facts, don't you? Those are the things from which reality is assembled. You should seek to become better acquainted. The practicality of a world constructed from amorphous imaginations pales in comparison...
Puffery is it? Gads, Sir, your effrontery knows no bounds!

Come on, now. You brought up the idea of religous standards being out of place in a discussion of American society. I reminded you that you were ignoring, among other things, the fact that most Americans believe in God.

Washingtonpost.com: What Americans Think

Content yourself with torts, whereases, and wherefors if you wish. Go forth and pursue legal lucre to your broker's delight. But please don't try to extrapolate legalisms into a general description of the American soul at the expense of religious faith. You'd be disputing facts....

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - The Religious and Other Beliefs of Americans

Old 04-29-2008, 01:54 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
I wasn't addressing you, though I understand that you are ubiquitous in this thread.

Try to control yourself.
At what point did you decide I wasn't doing so and how were you in a position to make that decision?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Puffery is it? Gads, Sir, your effrontery knows no bounds!

Come on, now. You brought up the idea of religous standards being out of place in a discussion of American society. I reminded you that you were ignoring, among other things, the fact that most Americans believe in God.

Washingtonpost.com: What Americans Think

Content yourself with torts, whereases, and wherefors if you wish. Go forth and pursue legal lucre to your broker's delight. But please don't try to extrapolate legalisms into a general description of the American soul at the expense of religious faith. You'd be disputing facts....

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - The Religious and Other Beliefs of Americans
Believing in God is not a religion. Marriage is a civil institution. So what is the relevance of your points?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
At what point did you decide I wasn't doing so and how were you in a position to make that decision?
1. Why, when I noted how many of the posts in this thread are yours.

2. What decision?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Believing in God is not a religion. Marriage is a civil institution. So what is the relevance of your points?
The poster to whom I replied sought to argue that religious standards are not germane to a discussion of our society. I provided evidence that many Americans -- if fact, most -- disagree with him.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
This thread is asking 'Just How "Socially Advanced" Are We in the United States?' - and then becomes a forum about gay marriage. How exactly do the 2 equate?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
This thread is asking 'Just How "Socially Advanced" Are We in the United States?' - and then becomes a forum about gay marriage. How exactly do the 2 equate?
The very first post on this thread purported to inquire into the "social advancement" level of the US....and then promptly took off on a well-researched (even ILLUSTRATED) 'tangent' dealing with the fact that a nation's being 'advanced' was directly related to its acceptance of gay marriage.

HOW did this come about? I don't know....but that's what the OP apparently meant the post to be about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies