Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:40 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,194,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The entertainment industry has never mirrored "real life". Why do you suppose so many actors have problems with drugs and alcohol? There is nothing "normal" about the entertainment industry. It's a man made industry which feeds off of stereotypes and perpetuates them because they think that's what people want to see.
I rarely see a reflection of my life on TV either, my house is not big enough, I don't make enough money and I'm not skinny enough. TV exists so I feel inadequate and go out and buy products to fix all my flaws, but thats another thread.

I understand why black people would acknowledge each other in a situation where they are the minority, it's a connection. I am often a minority in my city, but I'm not always a minority the way black people so often are.

Last edited by detshen; 04-28-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 PM

523 posts, read 1,281,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
FireKwame, you must be from Michigan??? Not only because of your name ~ LOL, but because I understand the courtesy wave. Maybe it's a Michigander thing!! I'm a former Michigander myself and I have noticed the courtesy wave much more up there then the rest of the country.

Yep!! And, the "Kwame" in my name of course refers to that disgrace Detroit calls it's Mayor, Kwame Killllllpatrick.

We must spread the wave around the country! Okay everybody, at 5:15 PM...incite a courtesy wave...whatever it takes!!! We CAN DO IT!!! I don't care if you have to chase people down and ask WHY they didn't wave at you...it is your duty! Just keep your doors locked.

Keep me posted.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM

There was a column in the Detroit news a few weeks ago written by a teenage Detroit Public school student asking the mayor to please step down. This young man expressed his hurt and disappointment in the mayor who used to be his hero. When even high school students get involved it's time to admit you did wrong. The mayor is an embarrassment.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
There was a column in the Detroit news a few weeks ago written by a teenage Detroit Public school student asking the mayor to please step down. This young man expressed his hurt and disappointment in the mayor who used to be his hero. When even high school students get involved it's time to admit you did wrong. The mayor is an embarrassment.

Here is the link:

Kilpatrick makes it harder to defend Detroit | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080406/OPINION02/804060520 - broken link)

And I can guarantee you that when this kid starts driving...he will wave!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM

Thanks for posting the link, that young man is inspiring. Yes, he will definitely wave

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,330,346 times
It may not be a racial thing (the original stuff you posted about, walking slow in the cross walk and waving to say thanks, etc.) It's about keeping up a front, and white folks do it too. People of all colors do it, and for whatever reason, they have a front you can't get through during casual encounters.

It's the same reason why some of the kids in my neighborhood don't move to the side when I'm walking my dog (she's big, mind you). I can see they are clearly scared becuase they haven't learned to hide that yet, but they walk as close as they can to the dog. I say "Hey, how ya' doin?" and they front. Other kids, perhaps kids raised differently move to the side, and return the hello. FWIW my dog is harmless, but they can't know that.

Same with pedestrian crossings (and j-walking). Some guys rush across. Some dare you to hit them-- even glaring. I bust out laughing at the ones that glare. It's just funny.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
It may not be a racial thing (the original stuff you posted about, walking slow in the cross walk and waving to say thanks, etc.) It's about keeping up a front, and white folks do it too. People of all colors do it, and for whatever reason, they have a front you can't get through during casual encounters.

It's the same reason why some of the kids in my neighborhood don't move to the side when I'm walking my dog (she's big, mind you). I can see they are clearly scared becuase they haven't learned to hide that yet, but they walk as close as they can to the dog. I say "Hey, how ya' doin?" and they front. Other kids, perhaps kids raised differently move to the side, and return the hello. FWIW my dog is harmless, but they can't know that.

Same with pedestrian crossings (and j-walking). Some guys rush across. Some dare you to hit them-- even glaring. I bust out laughing at the ones that glare. It's just funny.
Its hard to determine a person motivations. I used to live on a street that led from beach parking in San Diego. Tourists leaving the beach (often drunk) would rarely properly stop at the stop sign and the residents were always afraid of getting hit by these idiots. It got to the point where I would feel angry just being at that sign and there were times I would find myself glaring at my own neighbors before I recognized them, assuming they weren't going to stop. We laughed about it because we all felt it, but I imagine many people visiting the area thought we were a very unfriendly neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Along these lines...more Sex Text messages were released in Detroit Court today:

Click here to read the text messages | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

When, oh when will the Mayor resign!?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Its hard to determine a person motivations. I used to live on a street that led from beach parking in San Diego. Tourists leaving the beach (often drunk) would rarely properly stop at the stop sign and the residents were always afraid of getting hit by these idiots. It got to the point where I would feel angry just being at that sign and there were times I would find myself glaring at my own neighbors before I recognized them, assuming they weren't going to stop. We laughed about it because we all felt it, but I imagine many people visiting the area thought we were a very unfriendly neighborhood.
You are correct, but having an open discussion sure gives one new insights!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Along these lines...more Sex Text messages were released in Detroit Court today:

Click here to read the text messages | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

When, oh when will the Mayor resign!?
The arrogance of the Detroit government is disgusting. I saw a video today of councilwoman Monica Conyers speaking with a group of grade school girls about her blow up. Ms. Conyers refused to admit any wrong and This 8th grade girl kept saying "but you are an adult, how can you call people names" and this councilwoman who has a law degree and is supposed to be an adult was arguing, rude and arrogant with this young girl. It was unbelievable.

YouTube - Charlie LeDuff interviews Detroit's Monica Conyers

We have a high school student asking the mayor to do the right thing and resign and now a grade school girl has to teach a councilwoman how to act.
I'm impressed with Detroit's children, I think we'd be better off if they were in charge. I hope the city learns to elect leaders who understand that they are public servants, not royalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies