U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM
 
522 posts, read 1,172,337 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The arrogance of the Detroit government is disgusting. I saw a video today of councilwoman Monica Conyers speaking with a group of grade school girls about her blow up. Ms. Conyers refused to admit any wrong and This 8th grade girl kept saying "but you are an adult, how can you call people names" and this councilwoman who has a law degree and is supposed to be an adult was arguing, rude and arrogant with this young girl. It was unbelievable.


YouTube - Charlie LeDuff interviews Detroit's Monica Conyers

We have a high school student asking the mayor to do the right thing and resign and now a grade school girl has to teach a councilwoman how to act.
I'm impressed with Detroit's children, I think we'd be better off if they were in charge. I hope the city learns to elect leaders who understand that they are public servants, not royalty.
And keep in mind that it is Monica Conyers that wore the Obama T-shirt while on the job to a Detroit City Council meeting. (See thread with that name)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
 
Location: At my computador
2,057 posts, read 3,084,235 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You might not notice as much in Detroit where there is a large population of black people. However, in a city where there are very few black people, when another black person sees the same, they say hello, or nod.

It happens all the time.
It happens in Detroit and Portland and Colorado. My woman is black-- everytime she runs into a black person it's a "club meeting." "You ah'ite?" Then I, a white guy walks up, and she's rejected from the club.

We've been in the south and east and it happened there too... It's "the club"... a black thing, if you will... until you're perceived to be a "race-trader."


Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
I was reminded of a theory I heard once about black people not giving a "courtesy wave" when you let them into traffic...
I think it's a combination of region and idiocy. In Oregon, everyone was like that. They didn't wave, they walked slow-- they even walked diagonally across streets because they were so inconsiderate. CO is better. However, I've still found MI to be the most courteous-- outside Detroit... and better and better the further away you get.

In Detroit, blacks are the worst about it. However, in Oregon, the whites were absolutely awful.


Regarding the attacks against the post, it's interesting because back in Michigan we always talked openly about race. Blacks and whites could joke around with racial names and stuff like that. However, in Oregon, where there were few blacks, any mention of race was considered racist.

I wouldn't take the over-sensitive complaints too seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
878 posts, read 2,532,398 times
Reputation: 313
This is kind of funny because I don't have a clue about this slow walking thing that is being talked about. I'm Black and I walk as fast as possible to get across the street so that I don't get hit. On the other hand in Manhattan, I see a lot of people, White and Black, that don't care what cars are in the street when they cross, as long as they start walking before cars start moving. I really don't think it's a cultural thing, maybe more regional then anything else. BTW, I see more White people not saying Thank You when a courtesy is extended to them then other cultures but I would not put all White people into that basket, just those that are rude and rudeness occurs in every race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 PM
 
522 posts, read 1,172,337 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
This is kind of funny because I don't have a clue about this slow walking thing that is being talked about. I'm Black and I walk as fast as possible to get across the street so that I don't get hit. On the other hand in Manhattan, I see a lot of people, White and Black, that don't care what cars are in the street when they cross, as long as they start walking before cars start moving. I really don't think it's a cultural thing, maybe more regional then anything else. BTW, I see more White people not saying Thank You when a courtesy is extended to them then other cultures but I would not put all White people into that basket, just those that are rude and rudeness occurs in every race.
Very true! And I have noticed that black men over about 30 are more likely to let ME into traffic than anyone else. They also smile when they do so, which is nice. Of course, I wave thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Around Chicago
862 posts, read 2,505,078 times
Reputation: 314
So if you agree with what drkman said, why did you start this thread in the first place?

Last edited by skyeINIL; 05-02-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,520,767 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
This is kind of funny because I don't have a clue about this slow walking thing that is being talked about. I'm Black and I walk as fast as possible to get across the street so that I don't get hit. On the other hand in Manhattan, I see a lot of people, White and Black, that don't care what cars are in the street when they cross, as long as they start walking before cars start moving. I really don't think it's a cultural thing, maybe more regional then anything else. BTW, I see more White people not saying Thank You when a courtesy is extended to them then other cultures but I would not put all White people into that basket, just those that are rude and rudeness occurs in every race.
Yes drkman, this is true for me also....I walk so fast my boyfriend usually tells me to slow down! lol

And I second your point about white people not saying thank you but not everyone is like that so I just assume that they are rude. I work in retail in a majority white mall in PA and I hate being in the fitting room or greeting because I never get thank yous for putting their clothes in the dressing room for them....then they leave the clothes on the floor, off the hangers....oh that peeves me!!!!

And one time I was at the front of the store greeting customers and I said Hello, How are you doing today? to this white woman.....AND she yelled " FINE" at me...after that I was over the whole greeting people thing!

So its not just us....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM
 
Location: At my computador
2,057 posts, read 3,084,235 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Yes drkman, this is true for me also....I walk so fast my boyfriend usually tells me to slow down! lol

And I second your point about white people not saying thank you but not everyone is like that so I just assume that they are rude. I work in retail in a majority white mall in PA and I hate being in the fitting room or greeting because I never get thank yous for putting their clothes in the dressing room for them....then they leave the clothes on the floor, off the hangers....oh that peeves me!!!!

And one time I was at the front of the store greeting customers and I said Hello, How are you doing today? to this white woman.....AND she yelled " FINE" at me...after that I was over the whole greeting people thing!

So its not just us....
That's why I hate everybody... not just one race
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 PM
 
522 posts, read 1,172,337 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
So if you agree with what drkman said, why did you start this thread in the first place?
Great question skye. To bring attention to little inconsiderate things that many of us do that may be interpreted as rude by others and may contribute to racial tension.

As I said in a previous reply, I am not a racist. However I do notice behavior that sometimes may apply more to a specific group/race of people than to the population as a whole. It is through honest dialog that we often find enlightenment.

For example, as I said, now that I understand more fully why some people may walk terribly slowly, I can look at the circumstances and may give them the benefit of the doubt more so than I may have before. Without that knowledge, I would just assume they were being rude and inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,091,558 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Great question skye. To bring attention to little inconsiderate things that many of us do that may be interpreted as rude by others and may contribute to racial tension.

As I said in a previous reply, I am not a racist. However I do notice behavior that sometimes may apply more to a specific group/race of people than to the population as a whole. It is through honest dialog that we often find enlightenment.

For example, as I said, now that I understand more fully why some people may walk terribly slowly, I can look at the circumstances and may give them the benefit of the doubt more so than I may have before. Without that knowledge, I would just assume they were being rude and inconsiderate.
Honest dialogue is the best first approach to any problem.

In general I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when they are in their cars, or dealing with cars if I didn't I would think the majority of people are complete jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,091,558 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Yes drkman, this is true for me also....I walk so fast my boyfriend usually tells me to slow down! lol

And I second your point about white people not saying thank you but not everyone is like that so I just assume that they are rude. I work in retail in a majority white mall in PA and I hate being in the fitting room or greeting because I never get thank yous for putting their clothes in the dressing room for them....then they leave the clothes on the floor, off the hangers....oh that peeves me!!!!

And one time I was at the front of the store greeting customers and I said Hello, How are you doing today? to this white woman.....AND she yelled " FINE" at me...after that I was over the whole greeting people thing!

So its not just us....
A lot of people don't like being greeted at a store because they don't want anyone trying to sell them stuff. I worked in retail when I was younger and I do try to be nice to the employees because I know they are doing their job, but at the same time I usually want to be left alone while shopping so sometimes I get irritable. I always rehang my clothes though, it's rude to expect someone to pick up after you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top