U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,856 posts, read 9,340,669 times
Reputation: 1635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I know it's wrong when a white person looses a job to a minority who may not be qualified, but there are also places where minorities can't get the same chances as whites. A good example of the latter would be Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M. It balances out, but in a negetive way.

I doubt the two institutions you named practice racial discrimination in hiring. Most HBCUs have at least some white students, a fact many folks do not acknowledge.

There is a big difference between being pro-black and being anti-anyone else.

 
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,773,095 times
Reputation: 1348
I think the op should make a distinction between black Americans and immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean. I worked with a lot of immigrants from Africa and Haiti and once they allowed me into their inner circle they told me stuff that would shake the foundation of what most Amercians, black or white view about racism. A lot of them have a total lack of respect for AA's who have bought into the victimization and entitlement mentality.. They don't see America as a color divisive society but a land of opportunity. I have a rather eye opening 1st hand anecdote about a Haitian, named Michelle and his "encounter" with a young black american under achiever. Trust me, Michelle told this guy that he wasn't his brother, he wasn't a victim and no one owed him anything. Michelle pointed to his own skin said, "look at me, I'm black like midnight, I can barely speak english and I have a job and support my family". The younger dude looked at him with bewilderment, obviously never having heard that he can be black and successful and just walked away shaking his head.

IMHO, the JJ's and AS's of the world along with welfare and 40 years of bad social programs have destroyed the black american family and it breaks my heart. If someone told me every day of my life that I was a victim and that a whole group of society did everything in their power to keep me from being a success a sense of hopelessness would eventually befall me.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,260,516 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well I don't want to accuse you of any stereotyping, but we don't ALL want something from whites. We don't all get pissed off at any white person that walks down the street just because they are.
The point of this whole thread is to have real discussion on blacks and black problems, and part of those problems do come from the racism of certain whites. I bring slavery up, to see how others feel about it and to see where we have developed from it. Because whether you think so or not, slavery and segragation has shaped everyone on each side a certain way, good or bad. We can't do anything about the past, but we can do something about the future.
First of all, I wasn't stereotyping, I never would presume all blacks felt a certain way, and I'm sorry if that is what I imparted. Nor did I say that all blacks are pissed at white people, nor did I say that racism does not exist. What I meant to get across was a reaction from a white persons perspective on slavery, due to the posts prior to mine which said whites want to sweep it under the rug. Nowhere did I write that I didn't understand why slavery hasn't shaped black experience, my point is that slavery has not shaped the majority of whites experiences thus we cannot get it nor can we ever get it. Please, read what I wrote again, and explain to me where I was stereotyping or downplaying slavery.
And as for the economic problem in the black community, I already said that we spend way too much on things we don't need. That's something that only we can fix.

And I'm torn when it comes to the advantages we get (like scholarships and all). I know it's wrong when a white person looses a job to a minority who may not be qualified, but there are also places where minorities can't get the same chances as whites. A good example of the latter would be Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M. It balances out, but in a negetive way.
In your first post, you said that race relations between whites and blacks will never improve until honest and open dialoge were to happen. I tried it, and got accused of things I didn't even write. So much for that.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
 
Location: PA
5,560 posts, read 4,960,568 times
Reputation: 1945
Obama is running for president and is a senator. What else can I say lets move on.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,227 posts, read 19,112,303 times
Reputation: 6966
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
In your first post, you said that race relations between whites and blacks will never improve until honest and open dialoge were to happen. I tried it, and got accused of things I didn't even write. So much for that.
Well once again, I'm not saying that you were stereotyping, but when you say
Quote:
But beyond that, what do you guys want?
I take that as if your refering to ALL blacks. And I'm sorry if you were offended by that, but I'm not accusing you of anything.

Anyway, the only things I know about how whites feel about racial history in this country, is that some don't want to talk about it, some feel that we should all just forget it, some even feel that we should go back to those days, and some (my generation) don't understand and they tend to get extremly uneasy about these types of discusions. That's just from what I've grown up around and what I've seen. All whites living to day shouldn't be accused of what happened before 1900, but the ones who feel thay they are supperior to us are the reasons why we shouldn't just let things go, because it shows that much hasn't changed. They're just half the reason why I posted this thread.

There are blacks who still get pulled over for no reason and screwed over, and no one can ignore that. There are blacks who still get fingered for something they didn't do.
And qualified blacks who've worked hard for everything they had, only to have someone picked over them. And if they do make it in whatever they do, you have some whites who say they just made it because of they are black and they got a free pass because of it.
Their are injustices in this country that haven't been solved and its because of the mentality of some whites that came from segregation... that they should be the only ones to come out on top. For anyone to just ignore that is wrong.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Popeyes
762 posts, read 1,483,643 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
The younger dude looked at him with bewilderment, obviously never having heard that he can be black and successful and just walked away shaking his head.


you just assume that was his first time hearing that he can be black and successful
maybe he was looking at "Michelle" like that because from the way you described the "encounter"
"Michelle" kinda freaked out
 
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
 
6,541 posts, read 9,035,733 times
Reputation: 2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I think the op should make a distinction between black Americans and immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean. I worked with a lot of immigrants from Africa and Haiti and once they allowed me into their inner circle they told me stuff that would shake the foundation of what most Amercians, black or white view about racism. A lot of them have a total lack of respect for AA's who have bought into the victimization and entitlement mentality...
I'am cool with Blacks from Africa and the Caribbean but there are things that need to be taken into account when comparing them to Black-Americans. Those Blacks have a different mentality from Black-Americans because they come from majority Black countries. They haven't been bombarded with white oppression in the same way Black-Americans have who live in a majority white country. In their countries Blackness is the norm,in America whitness is the norm. Actor Sidney Poitier who's from the Bahamas pointed this out once when comparing Black-Americans to Blacks from the caribbean.

I do agree that too many Black-Americans try to limit the solutions to our problems to Big government instead of emphasizing market oriented and private sector solutions to our issues of poverty etc. I don't see the economics of Black-America changing until we increase our focus on business ownership and financial literacy in general.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,227 posts, read 19,112,303 times
Reputation: 6966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I doubt the two institutions you named practice racial discrimination in hiring. Most HBCUs have at least some white students, a fact many folks do not acknowledge.
Oh no, I actually ment that more money has been given to Texas A&M and Texas, while PVAMU hasn't recieved much. There are alot of facilities on campus that need to be fixed. Our student center is smaller than it needs to be. As a matter of fact, the cafeteria doesn't even have enough room for noontime lunch. Our athletic facilities are HORRIBLE. The football stadium was built in the 60's and it looks worse than most other stadiums that were built in the early 1900's. Same thing goes for the basketball arena. Because of the money situation, everything is so overpriced here. Hell, I had to pay $3 for a single bar of Irish Spring!
Though we have some nice living facilities, we have nothing. We have to drive at least 7 miles off campus for anyting. Even the main road to get to campus is just NOW being widened.
....But I guess a big part of that would be that PVAMU is in a very small town...
 
Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,773,095 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'am cool with Blacks from Africa and the Caribbean but there are things that need to be taken into account when comparing them to Black-Americans. Those Blacks have a different mentality from Black-Americans because they come from majority Black countries. They haven't been bombarded with white oppression in the same way Black-Americans have who live in a majority white country. In their countries Blackness is the norm,in America whitness is the norm. Actor Sidney Poitier who's from the Bahamas pointed this out once when comparing Black-Americans to Blacks from the caribbean.

I do agree that too many Black-Americans try to limit the solutions to our problems to Big government instead of emphasizing market oriented and private sector solutions to our issues of poverty etc. I don't see the economics of Black-America changing until we increase our focus on business ownership and financial literacy in general.
While I agree with some of what your saying the broader point was that if this "white oppression" that you claim was so prevelent why didn't it prevent these people who often times are much blacker than black Americans from being successful?
 
Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,773,095 times
Reputation: 1348
Also, if a lot of them have just arrived in America recently wouldn't that make it more difficult, i.e language barriers, social assimilation? Yet that isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top