U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,384,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Interesting: The current law is the amended version introduced by two Democrats
Not that interesting to anyone who has read any political history...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 PM

415 posts, read 555,942 times
Any body want to hear about the fight in the House of Representatives in 1832 over whether or not to ask President Andrew Jackson to issue a religious recommendation pertaining to the cholera epidemic moving toward New York? It got real ugly because the President had already made it publicly known that he wasn't going to issue religious recommendations because he didn't want to "disturb the security which religion now enjoys in this country in its complete separation from the political concerns of the general government."

Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,794,385 times
I must admit that I'm pleasantly surprised that none of you secular fundamentalist neo-libs invoked the myth of separation of church and state. Good on you.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I must admit that I'm pleasantly surprised that none of you secular fundamentalist neo-libs invoked the myth of separation of church and state. Good on you.
The Constitution didn't separate the Church from the U. S. Government. However, it did totally and absolutely separated religion - the duty we owe to our Creator - from the authority of the U. S. Government. That's why the President's recommendation to pray is unlawful.

PS: Why did many of the original 13 states exclude ministers of the gospel and priests from holding a seat in the state legislature, but allow Muslim and Jewish Clergymen to sit as lawmakers? Sounds like there may have been a bit of hostility toward Christianity back then.
...no clergyman or preacher of the gospel, of any denomination, shall be capable of holding any civil once in this State, or of being a member of either of the branches of the legislature...

--Delaware Constitution of 1776

Last edited by FlashTheCash; 04-28-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
The Constitution didn't separate the Church from the U. S. Government. However, it did totally and absolutely separated religion - the duty we owe to our Creator - from the authority of the U. S. Government. That's why the President's recommendation to pray is unlawful.
How is something that was enacted into law by congress unlawful?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
How is something that was enacted into law by congress unlawful?
How old are you and what is your education level?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM

A question with a question? Now followed up by a question. I could do this all day if you'd like. Who's on 1st?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,564,141 times
I don't care who started it....it is wrong! It isn't the government's business to stick it's nose in religion. I would think truly religious people would find it blasphemous!?!?! As STUPID as praying before a nascar race...

Anyway you look at it it is NOT the government 's (nor the president's) job to PRAY! Or instruct others to pray.

A special DAY for prayer??? What? Your "god" won't hear prayers on any other day????

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,209,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I don't care who started it....it is wrong! It isn't the government's business to stick it's nose in religion. I would think truly religious people would find it blasphemous!?!?! As STUPID as praying before a nascar race...
Anyway you look at it it is NOT the government 's (nor the president's) job to PRAY! Or instruct others to pray.
A special DAY for prayer??? What? Your "god" won't hear prayers on any other day????
Seems NASCAR and the drivers do not think that it is stupid to offer a prayer before a race - so, don't get so hostile about it.

And, inasmuch as some 85% of Americans identify themselves as being religious, it is no big deal to have a day where, as a nation, we can offer prayers for our country -

Again, nothing to get your blood pressure up about.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 AM

58,188 posts, read 41,002,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post!

Sheesh ! It was that visit by the pope!! Now georgie thinks he's the pope of America! (He's secretly just dying to wear one of those funny hats!)

He does, his is black, cone shaped, and designed for standing in the corner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies