Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It was that visit by the pope!! Now georgie thinks he's the pope of America!
Total hyperbole - total fabrication - totally false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Seems NASCAR and the drivers do not think that it is stupid to offer a prayer before a race - so, don't get so hostile about it.

And, inasmuch as some 85% of Americans identify themselves as being religious, it is no big deal to have a day where, as a nation, we can offer prayers for our country -

Again, nothing to get your blood pressure up about.

NASCAR and their drivers have every right to feel as they do ....and so do I.

Fine....have a national day of prayer ...but that should NOT originate with the government....it has NO business advocating religion or prayers.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Fine....have a national day of prayer ...but that should NOT originate with the government....it has NO business advocating religion or prayers.
I disagree totally.

Everytime a President, Congressman, Senator or any other elected official end a speech with "and May God Bless America" - there is a prayer. Do you advocate the prohibition on such utterances?

And, when, after a disaster, someone from Government says our thoughts and "PRAYERS" go out to the victims..... , should this also be prohibited?

And, should there also be a prohibition on opening each day of Congress with a prayer be prohibited?

And, as a taxpayer, you are paying for a Chaplin for both Houses of Congress - are you opposed to this?

And, should we do away with Chaplins in the Military also?

Religion is part of this nations fabric.

Get use to it

Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I disagree totally.

Everytime a President, Congressman, Senator or any other elected official end a speech with "and May God Bless America" - there is a prayer. Do you advocate the prohibition on such utterances?

YES

And, when, after a disaster, someone from Government says our thoughts and "PRAYERS" go out to the victims..... , should this also be prohibited?

YES
And, should there also be a prohibition on opening each day of Congress with a prayer be prohibited?

YES
And, as a taxpayer, you are paying for a Chaplin for both Houses of Congress - are you opposed to this?

YES

And, should we do away with Chaplins in the Military also?

NO, as long as all religions , beliefs are represented.

So are a lot of other things...like atheism..
But religion should be NO part of our government.

Get use to it

No, I don't have to "get used to it" ..only fascists HAVE to do that.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No, I don't have to "get used to it" ..only fascists HAVE to do that.
No, YOU have to get use to it. Unless of course you are suggesting that 80% of Americans are fascists?

Are you?

Prayer is part of this nations fabric - and it is in the government and it will not be going away.

You are not going to force those in government to stop saying "and May God Bless America".

You are not going to force those in government from offering prayer in times of crisis.

Yes, YOU have to simply deal with what is, and what will be.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 AM

415 posts, read 610,878 times
Are you going to pray according to the President's instructions on the National Day of [Presidential Authority over] Prayer? In other words, are you going to turn your back on God's absolute and exclusive jurisdiction over your prayers?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
No, YOU have to get use to it. Unless of course you are suggesting that 80% of Americans are fascists?

Are you?

Prayer is part of this nations fabric - and it is in the government and it will not be going away.

You are not going to force those in government to stop saying "and May God Bless America".

You are not going to force those in government from offering prayer in times of crisis.

Yes, YOU have to simply deal with what is, and what will be.

I never said I could force anyone to do anything nor would I try....BUT I do NOT have to be the accepting sheep that SOME are.

I do NOT need the government to dictate my beliefs as you do....that's either fascism or weakness.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Religion is an individual matter in this country. It has nothing at all to do with the nation. The nation takes no position at all on religion, leaving it up to each of us to do so or not as our consciences may dictate. Feel free to speak of your own personal fabric. It covers no one but yourself...

Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I never said I could force anyone to do anything nor would I try....BUT I do NOT have to be the accepting sheep that SOME are.

I do NOT need the government to dictate my beliefs as you do....that's either fascism or weakness.
The government is not dictating my beliefs. Not in any fashion.

I might suggest that if you are, as you say, opposed to the National Day of Prayer, that you contact your Congressional Representative and request that they introduce legislation to repeal the existing Federal Law.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Since Bush likes to quote from the Bible I suggest he have a look at Matthew 6:6.

And is anyone actually foolish enough to believe that those who do not pray are actually going to start because of some proclamation? Maybe it needs the backing of another non-binding resolution from Congress also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies