U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Maybe if your child were killed by a drunk driver you wouldn't think MADD was such a bad organization. They are trying to educate the citizens and lobby the legislatures so we can be ensured safer roads...sounds like pretty bad people to me!
I don't think it's a BAD organization, I think it's a good organization that has gotten out of hand. They have done a lot of good, but there is a point to stop. I do understand what happens when parents lose children, but when the pain becomes put into a mission, it can go to far because it's too hard to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Reading this New Jersey story, well, I just don't know. The truck was running. That's different than sleeping in a parked car. We also don't know how it ended. As I said, I just don't know what to think about it.
In Alabama the truck doesn't have to be running, the keys can be in your pocket. It isn't right. I have sat in my car listening to the radio for a couple hours after only a couple drinks rather than drive, to arrest me for that would just be crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,731,362 times
Reputation: 7409
I guess I get a little fired up when I read some of the nonchalant responses regarding drunk driving because when I was in high school I went to a football game with my best friends. We were all supposed to go out afterwards but I started feeling ill so I asked if they could take me home before they went out.

I never heard from them again. Three were killed 15 minutes after they dropped me off when they were hit head on by a drunk driver. The other died 7 weeks later after being in a coma. They were 16 year old girls who had everything going for them.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about them. It will be 22 years this fall since the accident and it is still very painful.

One girls mother killed herself a few years after the accident because she couldn't go on. Another girls parents divorced because of the stress of her death. Some of their siblings have had major problems with guilt and that has resulted in failed relationships, drug abuse and, ironically, alcohol abuse.

All of this pain was inflicted upon these people because someone got trashed one night and didn't give a second thought about the consequences.

By the way, the drunk driver walked away from the accident and was found vomiting in the ditch when the police came. He even asked if he could get his music out of the car when he was taken away.

Sorry about the diatribe, but drunk driving is so serious and sometimes the ramifications of poor judgment are glossed over when this topic is discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I guess I get a little fired up when I read some of the nonchalant responses regarding drunk driving because when I was in high school I went to a football game with my best friends. We were all supposed to go out afterwards but I started feeling ill so I asked if they could take me home before they went out.

I never heard from them again. Three were killed 15 minutes after they dropped me off when they were hit head on by a drunk driver. The other died 7 weeks later after being in a coma. They were 16 year old girls who had everything going for them.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about them. It will be 22 years this fall since the accident and it is still very painful.

One girls mother killed herself a few years after the accident because she couldn't go on. Another girls parents divorced because of the stress of her death. Some of their siblings have had major problems with guilt and that has resulted in failed relationships, drug abuse and, ironically, alcohol abuse.

All of this pain was inflicted upon these people because someone got trashed one night and didn't give a second thought about the consequences.

By the way, the drunk driver walked away from the accident and was found vomiting in the ditch when the police came. He even asked if he could get his music out of the car when he was taken away.

Sorry about the diatribe, but drunk driving is so serious and sometimes the ramifications of poor judgment are glossed over when this topic is discussed.
I am deeply sorry for your loss.

The problem happens because it is such a close emotional issue for so many people. Most do realize drunk driving has been the cause of great tragedy. When it comes to the law we have to step back emotionally. Drinking alcohol is legal, and a BAC as been determined for safe driving. If a person goes over that level and drives they are entitled to their rights, those rights should not be trampled because the issue is emotional. If they do not drive, they should never be arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33045
In Colorado, you can be arrested for "Driving While Ability Impaired" with a BAC of 0.05. It doesn't take too many drinks to reach this BAC. I think it is appropriate. I took an alcohol class in grad school and learned a lot, including those who can drink others under the table are still impaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,800,908 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by detshen
Quote:
Most people here aren't talking about drunk driving or addicted people. A glass of wine while out to dinner does not make a person an addict. The level of impairment would be much less than someone on a cell phone or on an allergy pill. I have seen cranky people drive horribly, and even a minor sleep deprivation impairs driving. Should only people who can prove they slept 8 hours be allowed to drive? No one is advocating drunk driving? "Drunk" is a level.
The funny thing is that many addicted people deny their addiction.
I'm just a supporter for a 0 tolerance when it comes to mind altering substances and public safety.
If people wanna get drunk or high, they should do it in the safety of their own home or make sure that they get driven home by a sober person when they are partying elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970
There seems to be this idea that if the BAC limit keeps being lowered it will save lives, but that hasn't been shown to be true. Government data proves, alcohol abusers with very high BAC, (usually at least twice the legal limit) levels cause most drunk-driving deaths and no credible research has shown that .08 percent BAC laws save lives,

MADD insists on criminalizing social drinkers for self-preservation of the organization and likely there are other people making money by pushing this. They have succeeded in the original mission to reduce drunk-driving deaths by educating the public and strengthening laws, but MADD has declined to declare victory, they want to keep going.

No more benefit has been shown to be possible, but they want to criminalize social drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by detshenThe funny thing is that many addicted people deny their addiction.
I'm just a supporter for a 0 tolerance when it comes to mind altering substances and public safety.
If people wanna get drunk or high, they should do it in the safety of their own home or make sure that they get driven home by a sober person when they are partying elsewhere.
A person who enjoys a glass of wine with dinner is not in denial of alcoholism, that's ridiculous. There is no proven reason for a zero tolerance policy, it won't save lives. Almost all fatal accidents are people .18 and above, more than twice the legal limit. People need to use logic, not emotion with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In Colorado, you can be arrested for "Driving While Ability Impaired" with a BAC of 0.05. It doesn't take too many drinks to reach this BAC. I think it is appropriate. I took an alcohol class in grad school and learned a lot, including those who can drink others under the table are still impaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
A person who enjoys a glass of wine with dinner is not in denial of alcoholism, that's ridiculous. There is no proven reason for a zero tolerance policy, it won't save lives. Almost all fatal accidents are people .18 and above, more than twice the legal limit. People need to use logic, not emotion with this issue.
If you commit a traffic offense, a cop can stop you and breathalyze you. In this state, if your BAC is above 0.05, you can get the above citation. The cop has to have a reason to stop you. So a 0.05 BAC can cause one to drive poorly enough to cause a cop to stop you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,800,908 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by detshen
Quote:
People need to use logic, not emotion with this issue.
The logic is that when there is a 0 tolerance to alcohol and driving:
1) The roads would be much safer.
2) Alcohol cannot be blamed for causing accidents anymore.
I only see a win / win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top