U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,110,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by detshenThe logic is that when there is a 0 tolerance to alcohol and driving:
1) The roads would be much safer.
2) Alcohol cannot be blamed for causing accidents anymore.
I only see a win / win situation.
That's not logic, I just wrote that the roads won't be safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,803,832 times
Originally Posted by detshen
Quote:
That's not logic, I just wrote that the roads won't be safer.
So you are claiming that alcohol has no affect on a person's reflexes, logical reasoning or decision making?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you commit a traffic offense, a cop can stop you and breathalyze you. In this state, if your BAC is above 0.05, you can get the above citation. The cop has to have a reason to stop you. So a 0.05 BAC can cause one to drive poorly enough to cause a cop to stop you..
The cop can stop you for a broken taillight while you are driving fine. In that case your life would be destroyed even though you were not causing any danger.

If they stop you for driving bad because you are truly impaired then fine, that's too much alcohol for you. But it hasn't been shown to be a generally dangerous level.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen So you are claiming that alcohol has no affect on a person's reflexes, logical reasoning or decision making?
Not not enough to cause a danger.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Not not enough to cause a danger.
But you admit that alcohol affects a person.
If so, no alcohol in your blood is better than having it.
So a 0 tolerance is perfectly logical.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshenBut you admit that alcohol affects a person.
If so, no alcohol in your blood is better than having it.
So a 0 tolerance is perfectly logical.
No danger means no reason for a zero tolerance policy

Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
No danger means no reason for a zero tolerance policy
I claim that alcohol does affect a person's reflexes, reasoning and decision making.
It is irrelevant how tiny or large the influence of alcohol is, because the affect is always negative on a person's driving style.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,200,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshenI claim that alcohol does affect a person's reflexes, reasoning and decision making.
It is irrelevant how tiny or large the influence of alcohol is, because the affect is always negative on a person's driving style.
Let's see:

Having a cold impacts ones driving style
Having to get the kids ready for school and being late impacts ones driving style
Having an argument with ones spouse impacts ones driving style
Thinking about the "big" test at school impacts ones driving style
Thinking about your upcoming vacation impacts ones driving style

Therefore we should probably ban all driving for everyone everywhere

Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshenI claim that alcohol does affect a person's reflexes, reasoning and decision making.
That's fine, you can claim whatever you want. I have no wish to take away peoples ability to enjoy a fine meal paired with a good wine or try a new micro brew without having to pay $60 cab fare when they aren't causing a danger. I have no wish to hinder something that is a pleasurable experience for many people because you don't like it.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 PM

534 posts, read 1,423,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I'd like to address a few points in this thread. And yes, I'm one of those "scum" as some have called me who had a DUI

Finally, the whole "why is someone sleeping in the backseat arrested for DUI when they were trying to do the right thing". That person will wake up in a few hours and drive. Guess what? They're still drunk. It takes HOURS after consuming for the BAC to drop below the legal limit and for reaction times, etc. to be up to par.
You aren't scum Lior, you learned from your mistake. Your final statement is absolutely true. A former employer of my husband's worked at a bar. He went drinking there on one of his nights off. He passed out in a corner and no one saw him when they checked for people at closing. He woke up at 5am and set the alarms off. The cops came and put him in jail for public intoxication because like you said, he was still drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies