U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,788,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?
****Right On . When we all understand it's all about the MONEY, It has been asked, what needs to be done to stop drunk driving. It can't be done ( my opinion ) look at what it supports , supermarket profits, lawyers profit ,court proffits , police dept profits ,Tow co . and all of the above and it goes on and on it's money . How do we stop it ? May be it is the old fashion way, cut the head off the snake ( the only way to avoid getting bitten,) It's not the driver that the problem , it's the liqueur. Or better it's the profit from the sale of it. And just one last thought . If we can't stop the police and the judges from drinking and driving , then how do we expect to stop the average citizen from doing the same .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
Default DUI Law-out of control money maker!

It seems strange to me that anyone would attempt to make a case for less discipline in a society that in many areas is stricken with a terrible void of the same. For every civil and criminal offense known to man, someone attempts to dismiss it as a money grab. In our society we no longer lynch and we don't cut body parts off--exactly what other commodity should be used for punishment besides jail?

As far as the offense, i simply look to the stats. that tell me that more people have been killed or maimed in the US by the auto than in all the wars our country fought in its history. The majority of places I drive in across the US, traffic law enforcement is severely lacking. I think it would be beneficial to have an officer earn his salary and more by nailing these arrogant offenders, especially the drivers under the influence and speeders. BTW, it is definitely a deterrent, and IMO raises the quality of the community by a substancial amount.

================================================== ===========

[url="http://www.legalx.net"]California Dui[/url]

crispian

Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,097,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you drive drunk you should go to jail period. But the penalty should depend more on HOW drunk you were and if you have priors than just a "DUI" where all people are treated equally- whether they are .08 or .30.
Good point Kev. Overall, the penalities are pretty laxed for first time offenders. When I was in recruiting, I ran across several that got adjudication if they didn'tt get in trouble for 1 year. We see the stories all the time with DUI offenders continuing to drink and drive so increasing the penalties so they have more incentive to seek help is fine with me. I know fines can be expensive but think about if you drive drunk and kill someone. You'll be suffering a lot more emotionally plus fines, jail time, and a a large claim being filed against you by the family.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,172,375 times
I don't drink and drive, but when I was younger, I did many times. I still like to drink when I'm out socializing, at a wedding reception, wine at holidays, etc. Luckily, I live in an area where taxis are plentiful and public transportation is accessible and much of it available 24 hours a day. This past New Years Eve, we went out downtown for a pretty expensive dinner and I drank cocktails and champagne. We were able to to take a taxi downtown and back home for $50 round trip. Money well spend. I think about this a lot. If someone lives in an area that does not have public transportation, how do they get past this? Do they take taxis? Are taxis easy to get? I see people in restaurants, bars, at wedding receptions, etc. drinking all of the time. Do people not do this in the suburbs or small towns? Drinking and driving is bad and in my state, the punishment is very severe for DUIs. But those who live where I do, have many options. What I think is really lame is I've heard of people here getting arrested for walking drunk. So if you walk 4 blocks to your neighborhood tavern because you're responsible enough to not drive far to drink, they nab you if you're wobbly as you walk home? I think that is really stupid.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:34 PM

17 posts, read 42,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.
My daughter was arrested on a DUI for sitting in the passenger seat of a friend's car with the music on because the key was in the ignition. She was waiting for him to come out of work and drive her home because she was drinking. They took her to jail and it cost us a FORTUNE in legal fees. Seattle, WA. How about them fair apples?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,172,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sayin' View Post
My daughter was arrested on a DUI for sitting in the passenger seat of a friend's car with the music on because the key was in the ignition. She was waiting for him to come out of work and drive her home because she was drinking. They took her to jail and it cost us a FORTUNE in legal fees. Seattle, WA. How about them fair apples?
That is what I'm talking about. They have that "key in the ignition" rule here in Illinois too. So damn stupid seeing that she was seated in the passenger seat. A friend of mine had 1 glass of wine over a 6 hour period and was given a DUI because as all lawyers will advise, she refused the breathalizer. She was pulled over because she had a drunk couple in her car and they were dancing in their seats to music and the cop thought it looked suspicious and pulled her over. She was the designated driver that night. Thousands of dollars later and after undergoing an assessment, she was deemed "low risK' and declared to not have a drinking problem - which she does not. But because she refused the test, she was arrested, shackled to the wall in the police station by her wrists and will forever have a DUI on her record for 1 glass of wine in 6 hours. She lost her license for 2 months and had to explain to her kids why she could not take them to school. In retrospect, she now thinks that maybe should have taken the breathilizer, HOWEVER, you can get a DUI even if you're well below the states limit - here being .08. Many people don't know that.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM

973 posts, read 1,993,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.
Agreed. It's not a right to be able to drive in this country - there are rules in place to protect others. The *choice* to drink & drive is one you make, and one you should pay for severely if caught. An astronomical number of accident-related fatalities include alcohol or drugs. The laws should be extremely strict..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,423,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?

Sorry, no sympathy from me. In fact, I would go as far as to increase the punishment for offenders. A person knows that drinking impairs ones ability to drive and puts others at risk. This has been tested over and over again and even the best drivers showed a decline in ability to react when they reached the level of impairment.

Being that people do know this, they recklessly place others in to harm and should be charged with something along the lines of attempted involuntary manslaughter requiring mandatory jail time on the first offense of not less than 5 years. If a person harms another in this action, they should obtain an automatic 10 years. If the person kills another, it should be 25 years. Previous offenses automatically get the maximum and if there is a death invloved on a second offense, I personally suggest the death penalty.

This would reduce repeat offenders greatly. No plea-bargains, no "whaaa but I'm really a good person", it has nothing to do with that as some offenses do not deserve a "free second chance". Its a simple concept, don't drive while intoxicated.

I have always been a big fan of fine beers/ales and spirits and in my life I have never driven while drinking. If I have to drive, I don't drink. It is as simple as that. Responsiblity is key, people need to get some.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,545,172 times
Ok , here my take...I've also lost friends to drunk drivers and my husband has also had a DUI. And here's a shocker..I've also been a drunk driver who was lucky enough not to have been caught or hurt or kill someone.

If you make the decision to drink and drive. You deserve whatever punishment given to you. It doesn't matter where the money goes. It's called a deterent. It's like, hey!!! I did that and it cost me ALOT of money so I won't do it again. It's called being responsible for YOUR own actions.

So what if it's a money maker? You gambled and lost. Now you're just a sore loser.

Kudos to those who took their lumps and aren't crying about it.

For the record most of it goes to educational programs to help deter future drunk drivers.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,361,282 times
Anybody ever wonder why the prospect of severe punishment has no effect on repeat DUI cases? The reason is simple. These people are ADDICTED TO ALCOHOL. So long as this addiction is active these people be DRUNK. Some of them will drive in this condition. A few will stay home and get safely (?) hammered. We need to do something about this because I have had friends killed while driving drunk and one killed by a drunk when he was sober.

The answer is not in trying to enforce high costs on the addict because addicts are not sane and cannot listen to reason or behave rationally. The answer is creating, as illustrated by Alcoholics Anonymous, a reliable system that allows the addict to control the addiction, not punishing the addict for being addicted. The AA 12 step method works some of the time. Maybe we should use all the misdirected fines to fund research on finding a cure for the addiction and providing an on-call drunken would be driver recovery system to take these people home instead of having them drive.

It is also about time to investigate and eliminate the injustices reported in this thread. Fining a sober woman for not incriminating herself with a breathalyzer test is IMHO contrary to our Constitution. Criminalizing someone sitting in the passenger seat because they were inebriated and the sober driver left the keys in the ignition so the radio would work is a gross miscarriage of justice. This must be stopped because injustices like these completely undermine the faith in the system that is vital to the operation of the justice system.

Stop concentrating on the vengeance and work on a real cure. We may be able to save a lot more lives, drunk or sober, that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies