U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,271,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I disagree. DUI laws are NOT a "scam"

But, I must give full disclosure - I am biased. My wife and son were killed by a drunk driver. Like you, he had stopped off for a "couple" of drinks.
I agree with you - and you also have my condolences.

DUI laws are a necessary protection. It is unfortunate that they are sometimes brought into disrepute by improper behavior either by the police, prosecutors or judges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM

10,494 posts, read 23,115,014 times
Quote:

But, I must give full disclosure - I am biased. My wife and son were killed by a drunk driver. Like you, he had stopped off for a "couple" of drinks.
Although you and I do not get along, I am seriously saddened to hear that your wife and son were killed by a drunk driver. I know that has got to be hard. However, alcohol affects everyone differently. Two drinks are not enough to affect most people enough to cause an accident. A lot of accidents happen where a driver has some alcohol in them, but it was not the alcohol that caused the accident. Off hand, I can think of two accidents (many years ago) where I was in an accident when I had been drinking. Both accidents were not my fault. In fact, the first DUI I got in 2000, I was sitting in my car when ANOTHER drunk driver rear ended me. I passed all field sobriety tests, but I failed 1 out of 2 of the breathalyzer tests, and just barely. The other accident happened on 35th ave and Cactus. I was driving down 35th ave heading south in the far left lane. Some idiot in the left turn lane pulled right in front of me, and I hit him. There was a cop in the intersection who saw the whole thing. The other driver was ticketed, but I nearly got a dui, but I was right under the limit thank God. I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,430,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bransom View Post
I was out with my fiancé’ celebrating Cinco Demayo on May 5th of this year in Phoenix, AZ and was the designated driver all night. On the way home we decided to stop at a strip club around 12:30 AM, and within a 45 minute time span I had 2 drinks of Hennessy, straight up.
You don't get one shred of sympathy from me. You were the designated driver, this means you don't drink! I have no sympathy for anyone that gets caught drinking and driving, even if they insist "it was ONLY TWO DRINKS".

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,430,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The other driver was ticketed, but I nearly got a dui, but I was right under the limit thank God. I hope you understand what I am getting at.
I understand that you're an a-hole for drinking and driving.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 23,115,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I understand that you're an a-hole for drinking and driving.
Your an a-hole for making a personal attack. I got two DUI's in my life, the last one being in 2006. After going to the victim impact panel, I changed my ways as I have said many times. I drink heavily on my days off, and I take the city bus to the strip. I NEVER drink and drive anymore. I have not gotten behind the wheel for over 3 years with alcohol in my system. The stories I presented were in the late 90's and the year 2000 when I was young and stupid.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,118,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?
maybe because cops and EMS are sick of scraping chunks of dead bodies off the highway and families take offense to having to bury their kin before the victim's time.

It's not fun, trust me. I've had to do the scraping and family notifications. The offenders may not intend to cause the damage but the end result is still just as painful.

DUIs have harsh penalites because it's extremely dangerous to drive drunk. No one is getting rich of the fines; it costs more to put the people in jail and pay the prosecution to make the case stick. Find me a cop or judge who would rather have a DUI arrest instead of having the offender find a safe and legal way home. There isn't one.

To those that choose to drink and drive I say: MAKE THEM SUFFER!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM

84 posts, read 79,038 times
Quote:

Sir, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife and son. I extend my deepest sympathy to you, and I'd also like to say may they rest in peace. My father was killed in a car accident when I was 4 years old, so I can imaging your sorrow, and your anger toward drunk drivers.

I feel the same way you feel about drunk drivers. For some reason people are not getting that. The problem I have is that innocent people are being taken advantage of by crooked cops. I'm ok with someone being charged with a DUI for driving with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher, but impaired to the slightest degree is really a law that is too strict. Lets all be honest here. You can't be mad at the whole world, and blame everyone because a drunk driver killed your wife and kid. Any honest person would not want to see the long arm of the law arrest innocent people who have not done anything to break the law.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,099,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Although you and I do not get along, I am seriously saddened to hear that your wife and son were killed by a drunk driver. I know that has got to be hard. However, alcohol affects everyone differently. Two drinks are not enough to affect most people enough to cause an accident. A lot of accidents happen where a driver has some alcohol in them, but it was not the alcohol that caused the accident. .
I congratulate you on your deciding to change your life - by not drinking and driving. I know that there are the occasional inconveniences associated with this but, it is well worth it. Keep up the good work.

I would hope though that you would also recognize that, because of my bias, I will not, in any case, defend in court, a person charged with DUI. It simply will not happen.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM

16,264 posts, read 9,058,806 times
DUI Laws should be more harsh, not less.

First time ought to be the same kind of felony as assault with a deadly weapon. It isnt a small thing.

It should have serious and life long consequinces and the legal limit should be cut in half. Studies show that a .04 BAC impacts reaction time.

Drink, Drive, go to JAIL.

as for the fines, they arent enough. It ought to distroy you financially.... and I am being kind.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM

84 posts, read 79,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You don't get one shred of sympathy from me. You were the designated driver, this means you don't drink! I have no sympathy for anyone that gets caught drinking and driving, even if they insist "it was ONLY TWO DRINKS".
If you read the entire post you would know that I don't need your stinking sympathy, I was found "NOT GUILTY". I have the right to go out and have fun, and in the process have as many drinks as I can drink without becoming drunk and then drive where ever I please. If you choose not to drink, that's your business. Don't be stupid. This is America baby! If you don't like it move to another counrty!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies