U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
1,723 posts, read 2,839,096 times
Reputation: 339

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Respectfully I have to say that I don't believe anyone should have ONE DROP in their body when they get behind the wheel.

As for MADD, have you ever had to scrape your son or daughter off the road to bury them LONG before their time because someone was so selfish as to drink and drive? Put yourself in that position and then tell me how you would feel.

How should people be punished who take anothers life with so little thought, because they are selfish enough to drink and drive?
There are many people who can have one or two drinks and drive responsibly. You should not remove the rights of many because of the flaws and illegal actions of the few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,259,089 times
Reputation: 948
I'm kind of in favor of ruining the lives of people who drive with an elevated blood alcohol level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
 
19,183 posts, read 28,386,276 times
Reputation: 4002
To what end? The purpose of all this is allegedly to protect the rest of us from the risks that are posed by those who choose to drive knowing full well that they aren't fit to. The purpose is not to round up some more people upon whom we can vent a few of our built-up frustrations. You run the risk of the reprisal's becoming a greater injustice than was the act used to justify it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
 
8,341 posts, read 9,805,136 times
Reputation: 10651
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you drive drunk, you are pretty much a horrible citizen and horrible human being.

$50,000 will not bring back any one of the numerous friends I lost to drunk drivers who walked out without a scratch. Most of them had no prior offenses. If you get caught driving drunk, it's attempted manslaughter. Sorry... no sympathy from me. I'd have their licenses permanently revoked and serious jail time on a first offense. $50,000 is chump change for what people who drive under the influence are risking.
I agree with this. Drunk drivers are among the lowest, bottom-of-the-barrel scum out there, and I could really care less what happens to them, as long as it's harsh and it hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
 
19,183 posts, read 28,386,276 times
Reputation: 4002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I agree with this. Drunk drivers are among the lowest, bottom-of-the-barrel scum out there, and I could really care less what happens to them, as long as it's harsh and it hurts.
I hope you don't have pets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,910,960 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
There are many people who can have one or two drinks and drive responsibly. You should not remove the rights of many because of the flaws and illegal actions of the few.
I concur unreservedly.

I might add that when I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming, like all the passengers in his car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,447 posts, read 31,530,567 times
Reputation: 8151
You drink you drive I hope you rot....plain & simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,736 posts, read 31,798,444 times
Reputation: 6788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
There are many people who can have one or two drinks and drive responsibly. You should not remove the rights of many because of the flaws and illegal actions of the few.
Thats an easy thing to SAY but I have seen tests done on a closed track where people were given ONE drink, they looked normal, acted normal and got behind a wheel of a car, drove just fine until a tense situation came up and they were not able to respond in time.

Its hard to say with people, I know I have a high threshold for drink but you have to draw the line somewhere, I don't think its responsible to drink and drive, don't drink AT ALL if you have to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,815,442 times
Reputation: 6195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Respectfully I have to say that I don't believe anyone should have ONE DROP in their body when they get behind the wheel.

As for MADD, have you ever had to scrape your son or daughter off the road to bury them LONG before their time because someone was so selfish as to drink and drive? Put yourself in that position and then tell me how you would feel.

How should people be punished who take anothers life with so little thought, because they are selfish enough to drink and drive?
You are taking the position that I advocate drunk driving, which I certainly do not. However, unlike you, I believe that a level of .10 is a reasonable cut off for drunk driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 44,663,927 times
Reputation: 10382
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My problem is the level they set for drunk driving, I think it should be at .10 vs .08. I can't stand MADD, I think they are as much about revenue as they area about safety.

Such as.....look at The founder of MADD. Candy Lightner. Convicted of stealing funds from MADD and putting them into her own personal account.

As much about revenue as about safety you say?

Such as....cops. That is just about the only thing they are good for. Raising revenue for cities/towns. They are the farthest thing from keeping us safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top