U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 AM

12,262 posts, read 15,124,813 times

Advertisements

I agree that they should stop making it a cash cow, like the red-light cameras, and impose serious penalties, including jail time. I admit I have a personal grudge against drunk drivers: one of my son's close friends was killed by one. Also, be happy they don't make misspellings a crime. They would be "imposeing" "monitary" burdens for those who "comit" that offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 22,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We need to get harder on DUIs not easier. I say cut the fines and increase and guarntee jail sentences satrting with first offfense. Too many murdered on the roadways by drunks.
too many are 'murdered' on the road by stupid drivers who aren't paying attention (ie: putting on make-up, texting/talking on cell, etc) they are just as dangerous as an idiot driving down the road at 4am.

do you agree we should have jail sentences for some idiot texting while driving down a busy street at 5pm? sounds more dangerous than pulling over a drunk at 4am that doesn't use their blinker.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrrrero View Post
too many are 'murdered' on the road by stupid drivers who aren't paying attention (ie: putting on make-up, texting/talking on cell, etc) they are just as dangerous as an idiot driving down the road at 4am.

do you agree we should have jail sentences for some idiot texting while driving down a busy street at 5pm? sounds more dangerous than pulling over a drunk at 4am that doesn't use their blinker.
Many are charged with felonies.

Manslaughter, reckless endangerment.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM

5,279 posts, read 4,384,751 times
Add "speeding" fines to the abuses of an out-of-control government. When local governments use traffic control as an excuse to take money from the people, there cannot be any rationality. Dangerous driving never gets fines, because the government hasn't set up an industry with fun little toy guns to be used by the high school bullies that grew up to one of the highest paid jobs in the public sector (cop).

I am a slow-to-speed limit driver who has never exceeded a safe speed for the road conditions, and yet I got caught in a speed trap where the cop actually lied to me about exceeding the speed limit (recent lowered to 30 mph when 60 mph would have been safe and appropriate) by 16 mph (coincidentally to receive a huge fine that was equal to my entire weeks pay, which was desperately needed). I wasn't smart enough to fight it, believing the gov't hype that risked even more money if you protested.

A month later they had to move the speed limit back to 45, making me believe it was part of the speed trap intended to maximize fines.

When government officers become Highway Robbers, something drastic needs to be done.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,735,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?
I'll tell you exactly what it is.

This all stems from the influence of a group called MADD (mothers against drunk driving). Their babies either got hit by someone driving drunk, or their babies killed others while driving drunk.

Personally, I think cell phone use creates worse driving then driving drunk. I also feel it depends on the actual person's ability to drive. A lot of people probably shouldn't be able to drive.

But one thing is for sure, the punishment for DWI/DUI is extreme. It is more severe then the punishment for speeding at 110 mph, aggravated assault, and armed robbery.

Now on to police officers. Police officers in Texas now have the right to stop ANYONE for any reason (quite literally) and charge them with a DWI/DUI. Sure, they may give you a field sobriety test, but talk to any police officer and they will tell you that this test is built for you to fail. Studies have been done that show that most of the time even sober people fail this test. Police have the right to take you to jail for the night anytime they think you sound/look/smell/act/feel drunk. Police abuse this privilege. This is not speculation, this is fact.

Personally, I don't trust police officers. In my opinion, they are the lowest end of society. Think about all the kids in high school who couldn't score very high on tests or get good grades. Those kids go on to be police officers, while their smarter classmates go on to be lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants...etc. So we end up with a police force with average intelligence. Do I have respect for police officers? No. No. No.
I don't care if this offends anyone, because it is the truth.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,735,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Put them in jail for a year.
Yes and lets put people who speed and people who talk on the cell phone while driving in jail for a year too.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 AM

6,849 posts, read 9,230,696 times
Let's not forget the easiest money making scam ever. The 55 mph speed limit on interstate highways that we had for almost 20 years. It's been replaced by revenue cameras on traffic lights. And every locale has a road with an artifically low speed limit that's used to generate cash with a radar gun.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM

OK..I just have to add the DOT.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:24 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,892,941 times
LOL..got popped for DUI did ya?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
LOL..got popped for DUI did ya?
Me??? Nope, I don't drink...however....

I was ticketed for...

No CDL

And overweight.

About $6000.

BTW, he took an hour and a half checking the rig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies