U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
 
24,034 posts, read 11,947,334 times
Reputation: 10218

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.
Drunk drivers names should be entered into a database that would prohibit them from purchasing, or registering a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:27 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,755,376 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Heres a thought:

Dont drink & drive.

Problem solved.
You can say that about any and all offenses - civil, criminal, personal, etc. People are imperfect and will make bad decisions. That will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,755,376 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, I don't have to be concerned about their difficulty getting back into society. If DUI laws were new law and was just recently sprung on people last year, then maybe I'd have some sympathy.

Louisiana drive-through bars aside, we all know the cost and penalties of drinking and driving - at best it may get you thrown into jail - at worst, you may kill someone. These are things that no one can claim they didn't know because they were under a rock for the past 30 years.

So, there are consequences - known consequences.

Is it any more acceptable for people to do other crimes - say rape, first-degree murder - and then complain about the difficulty of getting back to being a productive member of society?

The chances of "accidentally" blowing high after having just one too many make it seem that this is an unfair law and that perps who are just barely over should have some sympathy. But to me, the chances of accidentally going slightly over translates to - if you are drinking don't drive - then you don't have to worry about the penalties.

How many people know they are going to a picnic, a party, a neighborhood grill, or just going to sit around and drink and then decide to drive anyway. Some going to a party and taking the booze with them. How many of those people plan from the very beginning to take a cab back home? How many set hard limits to the number they will have and then cut themselves off immediately?

From my experience most people in these situations "reason with themselves" that they can handle it, that they will be fine, they know that though they are slightly impaired they are sill capable of getting home safely. Being a "little tipsy" they are still better drivers than most who have not had a drop. How many plan a route home that they think will lower the chances of encountering cops? For the most part, people CHOOSE to drink and then take a chance on driving. If they take that gamble and lose, that is on them.

And yes. I am a drinker. I drink very rarely, but when I do drink, I plan to be stationary for a long time. The last time I went out to a bar to drink with friends, I knew after that the drinking had hit me harder than I expected it would. I thought about driving the 5 minutes back to my apartment, and then I DECIDED to just sit in the lounge and watch TV for half an hour or so before I considered driving again.

No, I have no sympathy for someone who chooses to drink, knows the potential consequences of the outcome, and still drives - then gets nailed.
Yes actually it is just as acceptable to talk about sentencing, fines, and postconviction issues facing all convicts. I guess it depends on how one views the justice system and its purpose. I view it as an institution that requires sacrifice on the part of the offender but also the chance to atone for their offense and be able to become productive members of society once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: SC
8,793 posts, read 5,661,531 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes actually it is just as acceptable to talk about sentencing, fines, and postconviction issues facing all convicts. I guess it depends on how one views the justice system and its purpose. I view it as an institution that requires sacrifice on the part of the offender but also the chance to atone for their offense and be able to become productive members of society once again.
I have no problem with your views. But I also think that people go into these situations eyes wide open, and there is no reason to complain when caught. If the situation is so bad that they cannot control it - then they need to seek counseling/help before they drink and drive. If the legal system has to do it for them - there is cost. Those costs were relatively low - yet people keep repeat offending - it is now to the point where - apparently - a small fine won't do it.

There is no excuse for wiping out a whole family because you had a weak moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,755,376 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have no problem with your views. But I also think that people go into these situations eyes wide open, and there is no reason to complain when caught. If the situation is so bad that they cannot control it - then they need to seek counseling/help before they drink and drive. If the legal system has to do it for them - there is cost. Those costs were relatively low - yet people keep repeat offending - it is now to the point where - apparently - a small fine won't do it.

There is no excuse for wiping out a whole family because you had a weak moment.
I've been careful to frame my comments within the context of first time offenders who've not hurt person or property.

All I'm saying is we need to be very careful about the end result of harsh punishments and understand how these punishments end up negatively impacting our communities and society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: SC
8,793 posts, read 5,661,531 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've been careful to frame my comments within the context of first time offenders who've not hurt person or property.

All I'm saying is we need to be very careful about the end result of harsh punishments and understand how these punishments end up negatively impacting our communities and society.
As I said, that being your opinion is fine... but I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top