U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
 
8,315 posts, read 9,755,560 times
Reputation: 10607

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I'm not even sure I've seen this level of generalized hatred thus far in these boards...basically if someone makes a mistake and drives while their BAC is .10 they're the scum of the earth? Give me a break. I too was hit by a drunk driver, my friend almost died...but I don't think every person who drives drunk should pay "the ultimate price" just for getting behind the wheel. BTW - I see what kind of friend you are Lindsey...
And I agree with Lindsey. If you have any amount of alcohol, any at all, you do not belong behind the wheel! This really, really angers me to see people try to justify drinking even a little bit then driving. Be responsible enough to not drink at all if you're going to drive. Personally, I think the legal limit should be zero. Any trace should be punishable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,781 posts, read 23,751,182 times
Reputation: 6174
Lindsey, the summary paragraph of your own reference:

"NHTSA notes that many other factors besides BAC level have also been shown to relate to estimated relative crash risk. Relative risk also differs depending on driver age, gender, driving experience, and drinking experience. These can increase or decrease the estimated relative risk in the absence of alcohol. While relative risk may correlate with BAC level, it can be affected positively or negatively by these other factors. (Alcohol Limits on Drivers, p. 44) While recognizing that it cannot be known for sure that the apparent relationship of BAC to estimated crash risk is actually revealing a true effect of BAC, or is due to some covariable that has not been not been controlled for in the study design or adjusted for in the analysis, NHTSA concludes these types of studies present “rather overwhelming” information that alcohol contributes to the occurrence of accidents. Despite this, it states that the various methodological and analytical shortcomings these studies suffer from “limit, or at least require some caution in, the drawing of firm conclusions about the precise relationship between BAC and estimated relative risk.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,781 posts, read 23,751,182 times
Reputation: 6174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And I agree with Lindsey. If you have any amount of alcohol, any at all, you do not belong behind the wheel! This really, really angers me to see people try to justify drinking even a little bit then driving. Be responsible enough to not drink at all if you're going to drive. Personally, I think the legal limit should be zero. Any trace should be punishable.
Nobody who has posted has advocated drunk driving, so I fail to understand the many upset postings. If someone who has dealt with the impacts of a drunk driver is upset, that doesn't mean you outlaw all drinking and driving, there is a reasonable level that one can drink and then drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
1,723 posts, read 2,832,691 times
Reputation: 339
Good grief...it's up to an individual's judgment on whether or not they are impaired. According to the BAC calculator (conveniently found on the internet) having 2 beers in 2 hours makes me legally able to drive...and from my personal experience it doesn't impair my own abilities.

So the more a person tells you they don't have a problem driving with two beers, the more likely they are to have a problem? So, basically...their only option is to just agree with you.

I read your links, and they indicate that more government laws are needed, more restrictions on freedom are warranted. As far as the statistics that that younger the driver the more alcohol effects their driving...younger drivers lack experience, they are more likely to get into accidents even without alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Reputation: 32945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Good grief...it's up to an individual's judgment on whether or not they are impaired. According to the BAC calculator (conveniently found on the internet) having 2 beers in 2 hours makes me legally able to drive...and from my personal experience it doesn't impair my own abilities.

So the more a person tells you they don't have a problem driving with two beers, the more likely they are to have a problem? So, basically...their only option is to just agree with you.

I read your links, and they indicate that more government laws are needed, more restrictions on freedom are warranted. As far as the statistics that that younger the driver the more alcohol effects their driving...younger drivers lack experience, they are more likely to get into accidents even without alcohol.
OMG! No, no, no, and no. There are roadside tests that can be performed that show if a person is impaired, in addition to their BAC. This is not a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,867,015 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Good grief...it's up to an individual's judgment on whether or not they are impaired. According to the BAC calculator (conveniently found on the internet) having 2 beers in 2 hours makes me legally able to drive...and from my personal experience it doesn't impair my own abilities.

So the more a person tells you they don't have a problem driving with two beers, the more likely they are to have a problem? So, basically...their only option is to just agree with you.

I read your links, and they indicate that more government laws are needed, more restrictions on freedom are warranted. As far as the statistics that that younger the driver the more alcohol effects their driving...younger drivers lack experience, they are more likely to get into accidents even without alcohol.
Considering how many drunk driving wrecks , injuries and fatalities there are, peoples judgement seems to be bad. If you are caught driving while intoxxicated, first time a suspended licence plus big fine. Second offenses and so on should see the loser put in jail period!!! There is no excuse for driving while impaired!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
1,723 posts, read 2,832,691 times
Reputation: 339
It is a matter of a person's own opinion if they are able to drive the car. If they are not, and they are pulled over, they will suffer the consequences. Again I say the government cannot legislate stupidity or morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 AM
 
75 posts, read 187,138 times
Reputation: 43
Maybe I should become a bailbondsman! What do they do with all that money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,776,446 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by MamaBee
Quote:
Again I say the government cannot legislate stupidity or morality.
The fact is that people who use altering substances like alcohol are incapable to make rational decisions, simply because the drugs have altered their minds.

Maybe the police should not fine driving under influence, just invalidate their driver's licence for life.
At least this way nobody can claim that the government is earning a fortune over the backs of addicted citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,091,558 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by MamaBee The fact is that people who use altering substances like alcohol are incapable to make rational decisions, simply because the drugs have altered their minds.
Maybe the police should not fine driving under influence, just invalidate their driver's licence for life.
At least this way nobody can claim that the government is earning a fortune over the backs of addicted citizens.
Most people here aren't talking about drunk driving or addicted people. A glass of wine while out to dinner does not make a person an addict. The level of impairment would be much less than someone on a cell phone or on an allergy pill. I have seen cranky people drive horribly, and even a minor sleep deprivation impairs driving. Should only people who can prove they slept 8 hours be allowed to drive? No one is advocating drunk driving? "Drunk" is a level.

Last edited by detshen; 04-30-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top