U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,750,956 times

Advertisements

Has it ever occurred to the whiners that the gap in household income between the EU and the US continues to widen? And the same is true for productivity. So all of you who are wistfully looking at the number of vacation days they get in France or Germany, just remember that they are paying a definite price in terms of dwindling economic prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,396,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Has it ever occurred to the whiners that the gap in household income between the EU and the US continues to widen? And the same is true for productivity. So all of you who are wistfully looking at the number of vacation days they get in France or Germany, just remember that they are paying a definite price in terms of dwindling economic prospects.

Their economic policy is solid though. The Pound and Euro are appreciating relative to the dollar. Their economies are solid.

Our economy is the economy tanking...so if your arguing that vacation days is a factor than it seems that their method is definately working.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
1- what's your job?
Electrician

2- how many paid vacation days do you have?
None

3- do you use your vacation days or not? why?
I take some time every year.

4- do you stay in contact with the office while on vacation?
Have to, I own my company.

5- would you agree with a federal law mandating that companies pay employees for time off or that they grant them a minimum amount of vacation days?
I give my guys paid time off, I hate more regulation, but can see where other companies could use a push the right direction.

6- if your boss asked you to choose : pay raise or more paid vacation days, what would you choose?
I would see a shrink because it isn't right to ask yourself questions like this, makes you sound crazy.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,646,551 times
hammer to the nail. exactly when did we decide that we don't need labor movements and that corporations and government will treat us fairly in their absence? i did not see you mention that government entities now imitate corporate unwritten policies mainly you might have lots of vacation and sick leave on the books but you better not use it.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-29-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,733,677 times
1: Student and free-lance writer. Used to work in building management. Before that, law enforcement.

2: Of course no paid vacation in my current occupation. I make my own schedule around school. Vacation time varies widely depending on whatever supplemental work I happen to be doing at a given time. In the past, usually two or three weeks a year, sometimes closer to four weeks.

3: Always have used all vacation hours.

4: Never have stayed in touch with the office. Of course, with the jobs I’ve done there has never been the need to do so.

5: I would unequivocally disagree with the idea of a federal law setting the number of vacation days. I’m getting pretty tired of the attitude that any time someone thinks something is a problem, the answer is supposed to be more government intrusion into our lives. Let labor unions do what they were originally intended to do, instead of making union brass wealthy on the hopes of workers. Let market forces work, so that businesses compete for the best employees by offering good benefits—the kind of market forces and positive union activity that brought such benefits as 401k plans, and for that matter, paid vacation time in the first place. Also, there are a number of reasons that the U.S. economy is by far the most productive in the history of the world. One of them is our traditional work ethic. Many of us feel good and useful and satisfied when we know we’ve put in an honest day’s work.

6: Easy call for me, since my career goals will take me into territory where I’ll have lots of vacation time (the academic setting—all summer off). I’d take the pay raise. Otherwise, it might have a lot to do with whether I was able to work my way into a career I really found satisfying. In that case, most likely I’d still take the raise. Might have to think seriously about the extra vacation time if I spent the rest of my life scraping along in a job I hated just to survive.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,750,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Their economic policy is solid though. The Pound and Euro are appreciating relative to the dollar. Their economies are solid.

Our economy is the economy tanking...so if your arguing that vacation days is a factor than it seems that their method is definately working.
You should really look a long-term trends rather the performance over a year or so. Our economy that is "tanking" as you put it has outperformed Europe by a good 1-2% annually for 25 years both in terms of economic growth and productivity--not exactly a ringing endorsement of European economic policy. Sure the Euro and pound are doing well at the moment, but that is no way a permanent development. What's more, it's beginning to look as if Europe is going to take it on the chin far worse than the US.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM

38 posts, read 69,622 times
Lightbulb curious about Nietzsche's thought (king of the one liners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
One aspect yet to be mentioned...
I have encountered a surprising number of Americans who don't know what to do with their spare time, they get bored and are relieved to return to their jobs! Sounds crazy to me. They can't think of anything else better to do than be told what to do. Nietzsche has a thought about this.
I agree with you. Throughout my working career I have been amazed by the number of people that I have met that fit that description (getting bored when they are not at work). It's very sad actually. Personally, friends of mine have commented that the Northeast section of the U.S (the infamous BosWash corridor) is a breeding ground for this mentality and that places they have moved to from Scranton (Georgia, Virginia, Las Vegas and the list goes on....) tend to have better "at work" atmospheres.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,212,077 times
Whats a vacation?????

Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,303,852 times
I was excited to get a great job offer today....er....good job offer.

The pay is okay. not great. suprising for the type of work and the company.

What got me though....is the 15 days PTO that means, vacation, sick and personal days....15 days off a year.

That sounds CRAZY low to me.

dont they know I have a job right now that offers more vacation AND a comparable salary? Why should I move across the country again?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,212,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
dont they know I have a job right now that offers more vacation AND a comparable salary?
How would they know unless you told them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or