U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:53 AM

54 posts, read 58,755 times

Advertisements

The US are

Besides getting less vacation than workers in many other countries, Americans often don't use all the time that they do get, and what vacation they take is spent in small slices and often in contact with the office, according to findings from studies.

What about you?

1- what's your job?
2- how many paid vacation days do you have?
3- do you use your vacation days or not? why?
4- do you stay in contact with the office while on vacation?
5- would you agree with a federal law mandating that companies pay employees for time off or that they grant them a minimum amount of vacation days?
6- if your boss asked you to choose : pay raise or more paid vacation days, what would you choose?

Thanks for countribution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 AM

288 posts, read 808,432 times
1. I work in the biotech industry
2. 17 days for the 1st year of employment, increases by 3-4 days every year or so. Cap is 35 days, IIRC.
3. I haven't used any since the winter holidays, but I plan on taking a vacation sometime this summer.
4. I'll probably check my work email every day.
5. Yes. I envy the europeans in this aspect of workers' rights.
6. Most likely a pay raise so I can afford a condo/house.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,439,885 times
2 months of paid vacation. Can't get better than that.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 AM

54 posts, read 58,755 times
Default and the winner is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
2 months of paid vacation. Can't get better than that.
...you!!
wow, you beat even the finnish and french! What's your job ? (unless it is secret information).

Old 04-29-2008, 05:48 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,839,786 times
1- I Work in Banking
2- I have 2 weeks paid vacation, plus 2 weeks sick time, plus holidays
3- Heck yeah I use them, I work with the public if I didn't get a break I think I might go insane
4- Nope
5-Yes, Americans are over worked, your body and mind need a break, companies will have more productive employees if they allow a fair amount of time off
6- I would pick more paid time off

Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
1. Owner of an Industrial supplies corporation
2. Only started taking one 10 years ago after fully staffed to run while we are gone. FINALLY, now as many as we want IF we have enough people to cover everything. We have to take our vacations around the employees time off.
3. YES!!!!!!
4. Yes. Part of being the owner. So if some smart alec comes up to us while on vacation and says something about hubby being on the phone I'll reply with this, "yes he is on the phone during our family vacation w/ business. THAT business is PAYING for us to be HERE!" Besides, when government inspectors show up they don't give a rats behind where we are they want to talk to us NOW!
5. We give them. If they choose to use it or not is up to the person w/ the vacation time. If they choose to go nowhere that is their own doing.
6. I'd like a permanent vacation

Now, I do have a theory as to WHY so many Americans do not take a "real vacation". Many live far away from their family and during at least one of their vacations a year they travel to see them. This is the only time these families get together and grandkids get to see their grandparents. I'm VERY fortunate that I live close by ALL of our family and can see them anytime I want. Then our vacations are REAL vacations.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildossantos View Post
The US are

Besides getting less vacation than workers in many other countries, Americans often don't use all the time that they do get, and what vacation they take is spent in small slices and often in contact with the office, according to findings from studies.

What about you?

1- what's your job?
2- how many paid vacation days do you have?
3- do you use your vacation days or not? why?
4- do you stay in contact with the office while on vacation?
5- would you agree with a federal law mandating that companies pay employees for time off or that they grant them a minimum amount of vacation days?
6- if your boss asked you to choose : pay raise or more paid vacation days, what would you choose?

Thanks for countribution?
1) Accountant in the Chicago loop
2) 27 days a year (I bought 5 extra), or around 6 weeks.
3) Every single one of them, without a doubt. I need my 6 trips to Europe every year or I go crazy!
4) Never once. Vacation is vacation, work is work. I don't even know how to check my e-mail from home.
5) I would think everyone should get at least 3 weeks vacation minimum. We're the only developed country in the world that doesn't do decent vacation.
6) More vacation, without a doubt. I live my life to life my life, not to work until I'm dead.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM

769 posts, read 2,010,753 times
wait a minute, is america truly the most overworked "first world" country in the world? where are the statistics that say we are working harder than everyone else? i'm not criticizing anything, it's just that i thought other countries worked this damn hard.........?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Here's a chart I found of average days per year of vacation (not including holidays):

Italy 42 days
France 37 days
Germany 35 days
Brazil 34 days
United Kingdom 28 days
Canada 26 days
Korea 25 days
Japan 25 days
U.S. 13 days

We had a girl come from Europe and transfer to our Chicago office, since her husband was here for school and at least she could have a job waiting for her. She was talking about being in total shock at the lack of vacation days in the United States. She said every entry level person she knows in Belgium gets at least 35 days a year of vacation, and they make you take all of it every year.

She was also very confused about what "sick days" are in the United States. She had never even heard the term in Europe. She said in Europe if you're sick or have a doctor appointment, you just tell your boss and don't come into work. The fact we have to keep track of that here, and build up "sick days" seems very "backwards".

I also felt bad for her trying to fill out health insurance. I was kinda embarassed, she just looked at me like "what kind of country is this!?". She'd never heard of Health Insurance either, since in most every developed country in the world, any and all health care coverage, perscriptions, dental, vision, etc. etc. is 100% paid for by the government, or at least a very cheap 1 time payment per visit. For example, I think any perscription in the UK, regardless of how much it would cost in the United States, is a flat rate of around $10 dollars (US, cheaper there cause of the exchange rate).

Last edited by Chicago60614; 04-29-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 AM

Here's a longer, but different list. This is a list of the amount of time countries REQUIRE employers to give their employees off each year. This is split between required holidays, and required vacation time....

The United States is the only country listed who's government doesn't require that a company give an employee a single day off work. Obviously they all do, and the average of large US firms is around 13 vacation days and 9 paid holidays. So a total of around 22 for the US. But then again, this list is just *required* days off, so of all these amounts listed, the actual averages are going to be higher. Everyone tends to give a little more than the bare minimum requirement, or your company would be seen as slave drivers.

Vacation Days Paid public holidays Total
Australia 31
Austria 38
Belgium 30
Bulgaria 32
Canada 20
Cyprus 36
Czech Rep. 31
Denmark 35
Egypt 37
Estonia 38
Finland 44
France 40
Germany 34
Greece 37
Hong Kong 26
Hungary 33
India 31
Indonesia 25
Ireland 29
Israel 40
Italy 31
Japan 35
Latvia 31
Lebanon 33
Lithuania 40
Luxembourg 35
Malaysia 28
Malta 38
Morocco 40
Netherlands 28
New Zealand 31
Pakistan 28
Philippines 19
Poland 36
Portugal 34
Romania 28
Singapore 26
Slovakia 35
Slovenia 36
South Africa 33
South Korea 30
Spain 36
Sweden 36
Taiwan 25
Thailand 19
United Arab Emirates 39
United Kingdom 28
Vietnam 22
United States 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or