U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,572,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
People in the UK (and Europe generally) don't drive anywhere near the amount that people in the US do.

UK cities have pretty extensive public transit and even in cities that don't, people walk. In the US, people drive miles just to get out of their neighborhood.

The UK has a well established passenger train system. If you want to travel to another city it is fairly common to take the train. In the US we have largely destroyed our passenger rail service. Many Americans have never even been on a train.

The UK and Europe are in great shape to absorb the rising price of oil. Here in the US, after years of complacency and frankly, stupidity, we are on the edge.
The UK has instituted driving taxes for people going to downtown London, so on top of the gas prices, the govt has encouraged the use of public transport by penalizing drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,360,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why do you think we're at war in Iraq ? To bring democracy ? No..it's the oil.
Iran is next on the list.
This is so silly. If it were about the oil, the US Military would have done what it has been training to do for the last 25 years. Take land. Hold land. That's simple and easy.

The only proof you need that it isn't just about oil is in the fact we are in the cities. The oil isn't there, but most of the US troops are there. That's where they're getting killed.

I wish it were just about locking up the oil in Iraq. We'd have secured it in 3 days and held it.

It is about oil as a strategic global resource, among other things, but to say "war for oil" shows you're not paying attention.

Do I agree with the execution of this war? Not fully, but that's hindsight. We all might wish it never happened, but now we're in deep and are going to finish-- no matter who's in charge come Jan. 09.

I've read much of the "peak oil" material, and I don't believe it. Even if it is true, we'll be fine. We've been through rough times before, and when challenged, we rise above all the political BS and actually go to work.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,512,598 times
The fact that peak oil has come and gone is not disputed now days;look around at the world and what is happening in the competition for energy.Compared to that global warmings is mear theory.I do think we will survive but there will be rough times ahead. But we have had alot of rough times in the past and were fine.The fact that it has to come to thios is because we are reactive rather than proactive in this country.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 AM

82 posts, read 175,740 times
Necessity is the mother of invention. Take away cheap gas fill-ups, and you'll be amazed at how fast the auto industry comes up with super efficient and alternative fuel cars. It's not about, and never will be about, "going green" unless that green refers to cold hard cash. The suburbs are here to stay. And bicycles? Americans? Please.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM

1,486 posts, read 4,018,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
The UK has instituted driving taxes for people going to downtown London, so on top of the gas prices, the govt has encouraged the use of public transport by penalizing drivers.
I think that is a great system. Stockholm instituted a similar scheme. I believe Oslo also has such a system.

I know NYC was going to do something similar (which is a good idea) but the New York state legislature killed it. Why does that not surprise me...

This kind of system would be perfect for a place like NY, Boston, DC, or San Francisco. But sadly, most American cities have for 50+ years completely ignored public transit and thus, such a system in a place like Phoenix, Houston, or even LA would never work. We shot ourselves in the foot a generation ago and now we are paying the price for that stupidity.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,360,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Hi All,

Well, this is sobering news. Oil is to hit $200 pb between 2009 and 2012, probably 2009. This is the "crisis window."

We're in big trouble. How much have you modified your consumption of oil?

OPEC Says Oil Could Hit $200

Anyway, this means life as we know it is over. Things will come to a grinding halt and/or there will be more war as the remaining oil is fought over. We're done.

Opinions?
Life isn't over.
Save the drama for your momma.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,339,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Life isn't over.
Save the drama for your momma.
Umm, can you please address my points and back your position up?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:01 PM

22,354 posts, read 27,446,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I also have no job and it's official we are in a recession.
When did it become official?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:07 PM

19,488 posts, read 20,796,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
When did it become official?
When Utne told him.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:25 PM

1,572 posts, read 3,674,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And that's when the price will plummet, that new 17mpg Mustang will again be feasible and we will start the whole process over again. MTV will do specials on the first decade of the century featuring pop icons from the Green movement such as CFLs, rain barrels and Priuses.
No, the price of oil is never going to plummet, at least not fall below 60-70 dollars a barrel ever again. The era of cheap oil is over. It's over for the entire world and the entire history of homo sapiens. Kiss it goodbye. If you buy a muscle car or SUV right now, expecting this is just a bubble, I'll have no sympathy when you are living out of a cardboard box (or inside your car, rather). The geology is just not there to supply enough cheap oil anymore, and the global demand is far too high for oil to fall back to 1990's levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies