Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:47 PM

95 posts, read 260,840 times

Advertisements

There is enough oil in the JOnah Field of Wyoming to provide oil for the United States for the next 25 Years alone. Its all about speculators and greedy people. Bush is makin a killing with these prices so him and the politicians wont do a thing until we let them drill where ever they want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad Straight View Post
There is enough oil in the JOnah Field of Wyoming to provide oil for the United States for the next 25 Years alone. Its all about speculators and greedy people. Bush is makin a killing with these prices so him and the politicians wont do a thing until we let them drill where ever they want
That simply is not true. Jonah Field is mostly a natural gas field. It is estimated to contain 10 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Current global consumption is 100 trillion cubic feet per year. This amount of natural gas would not supply the US, a major consumer, for more than a short while.

Jonah field also contains alot of shale, but shale is very costly to turn into oil.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 PM

70 posts, read 110,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
That simply is not true. Jonah Field is mostly a natural gas field. It is estimated to contain 10 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Current global consumption is 100 trillion cubic feet per year. This amount of natural gas would not supply the US, a major consumer, for more than a short while.

Jonah field also contains alot of shale, but shale is very costly to turn into oil.
I heard they could get the oil from shale and it would be about $55 per barrel. Which is a lot cheaper than it is now.

But this is not the solution to the problem. Drilling more wells and building more refineries would just line Bush's pockets even more and keep us under big oil's thumb.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,437,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timechilipot View Post
I heard they could get the oil from shale and it would be about $55 per barrel. Which is a lot cheaper than it is now.

But this is not the solution to the problem. Drilling more wells and building more refineries would just line Bush's pockets even more and keep us under big oil's thumb.
Not to mention the time it would take to get something off and running. Meanwhile China (2nd largest consumer of oil) and India need their fair share too. Supply and demand is what is driving up the cost (well, and the falling dollar and other factors).

Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
When did it become official?
I guess 83% of us think we are?

You're not waiting for Bush or Congress to declare this, right?

But here's a link to make you happy

The recession watch can now end. It's already here. - Feb. 5, 2008

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM

70 posts, read 110,191 times
People are just going to have to get used to the fact that energy resources are in short supply right now, and start changing. People have been warning about this for decades.
One other point I like how everyone is "going Green" now that gas costs so much. They only care about the planet when it effects their pocket book. But they will still drive their monster SUV to work everyday by themselves. However, our vehicles and driving habits are only a part of the problem with oil. Consider everything that is made of plastic these days. My point is that it is a giant crap sandwich and we are all going to have to take a bite.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timechilipot View Post
People are just going to have to get used to the fact that energy resources are in short supply right now, and start changing. People have been warning about this for decades.
One other point I like how everyone is "going Green" now that gas costs so much. They only care about the planet when it effects their pocket book. But they will still drive their monster SUV to work everyday by themselves. However, our vehicles and driving habits are only a part of the problem with oil. Consider everything that is made of plastic these days. My point is that it is a giant crap sandwich and we are all going to have to take a bite.
I am all for going green - but I need education. I think if more people knew how to do this (gee, maybe they should offer a course in this), I bet more people would get on board.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM

24,493 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I guess 83% of us think we are?

You're not waiting for Bush or Congress to declare this, right?

But here's a link to make you happy

The recession watch can now end. It's already here. - Feb. 5, 2008
I didn't ask what the poll numbers are.

And in the link you supplied; it didn't say there is an official recession. It says, "Some experts declare..."

Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,503,009 times
The price of oil has risen just over 100% in Europe since 2001. The price of oil has risen in the US just over 300% in the US since 2001. Why? Our dollar is extremely weak right now, simple as that. If the dollar was extremely strong, we might see gas prices just under or just over $2 a gallon right now. That wouldn't feel so bad now would it?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,716,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Hi All,

Well, this is sobering news. Oil is to hit $200 pb between 2009 and 2012, probably 2009. This is the "crisis window."

We're in big trouble. How much have you modified your consumption of oil?

OPEC Says Oil Could Hit $200

Anyway, this means life as we know it is over. Things will come to a grinding halt and/or there will be more war as the remaining oil is fought over. We're done.

Opinions?
Mr. Doom and Gloom.........Get real..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies