U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,689,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Ive seen that. It will be a hard sell though. People are not going to want to give up their SUVs for an ultra-small vehicle like that.
Yes, I realize folks don't want to give up their pig-mobiles and drive odd looking, low power electrics and hybrids but when faced with 4-5 dollar a gallon gas, necessity drives the reasons.

They said that the EV1 that was used as a test bed in California didn't have enough demand, even though they had over 30,000 signatures of people who wanted one. I suspect with the whole "green revolution" today, that a substantial number of folks would be willing to use them for day to day use and keep the SUV pig-mobile for those long trips, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,598,790 times
Right now I think there is more talk than action. People want to go green and conserve but the really don't DO IT. It's more PC to just say it than do it.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM

719 posts, read 2,359,767 times
Brazil is chopping down a lot of their rainforests for their sugar cane farms. With ethanol, it will always be a matter of how much arable land you'd be willing to exchange for fuel. With the grain situation worldwide, you get the picture. The knuckleheads inside The Beltway don't.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,695,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Right now I think there is more talk than action. People want to go green and conserve but the really don't DO IT. It's more PC to just say it than do it.
Thank you so much! Couldn't have said it better.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM

714 posts, read 1,696,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Hi All,

Well, this is sobering news. Oil is to hit $200 pb between 2009 and 2012, probably 2009. This is the "crisis window."

We're in big trouble. How much have you modified your consumption of oil?

OPEC Says Oil Could Hit $200

Anyway, this means life as we know it is over. Things will come to a grinding halt and/or there will be more war as the remaining oil is fought over. We're done.

Opinions?
Either life as we know it is over...or we will just have to live close to where we work or take the bus...

Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,827,553 times
Perhaps technology will allow us to have a future better than perceived by many posters.

California Fuel Cell Partnership (http://www.cafcp.org/fuel-vehl_map.html - broken link)

UC Davis: Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Research Center : California's Cooperative PHEV Research Center

Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM

55,701 posts, read 74,699,564 times
we, the people, have got to get out from behind the 8 ball.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM

719 posts, read 2,359,767 times
Technology and energy are not interchangeable. They're two completely different terms.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,907,268 times
I'll just buy a car battery, attach a motor onto a bike, presto!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:07 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,689,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Perhaps technology will allow us to have a future better than perceived by many posters.

California Fuel Cell Partnership (http://www.cafcp.org/fuel-vehl_map.html - broken link)

UC Davis: Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Research Center : California's Cooperative PHEV Research Center
For humans in general to continue progressing then of course technology will have to advance and I'm sure it will. (hopefully before we kill each other first)

We are surrounded by energy, from the breeze on our faces, to the sun shining upon us, to the water flowing in the creek, to the energy contained with every tree, blade of grass, to the very reactions that drive the stars. Converting all this energy into a form that is affordable, usable, and doesn't cause the pool we are all drinking from to end up a septic tank is where this technology comes in.... no brainer

Between the time we go from petroleum world to that of something else, things will get tough for a time and the world as we know it will be pages of history. What the future holds may be equally good or bad, I can't say as I don't have a crystal ball. One thing is for sure however, and that is our reliance on more an more exotic and complex forms of energy moves us deeper into the technology trap. The more complex something is the more prone it is to failure. The more reliance on things prone to failure, the greater the risk. Just look around at the current situation where we have become so reliant upon a single source of energy and ask, will our technology advance fast enough to allow the continuation of the world as we know it? I know that I don't know, but I also know that I can manage with far less of it than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies