Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I didn't ask what the poll numbers are.

And in the link you supplied; it didn't say there is an official recession. It says, "Some experts declare..."
Well, they are more experts than you and I are. Did you read the whole article?

Splitting hairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Mr. Doom and Gloom.........Get real..........
Why does everyone assume I'm a mister? So maybe it is YOU who is wrong.

I mean, is your perception that women are too stupid to take interest in this?

But I digress, and I REALLY don't want to make this personal.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Heck, I hope it goes to 300 a barrel in a month. (since that asteroid is taking forever getting here)

Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Tell us you do not believe that. Tell us your are kidding.

The Govt will not allow? If it makes the Govt money you can bet your bottom dollar they will indeed do it and do it so fast you won't know what hit ya.

Remember, the Govt makes more money in federal oil taxes then all the oil companies combined. What makes you think they won't want more? They are a greedy bunch of criminals over there.

Please do not trust them.
If you see gasoline hit the $4 a gallon mark, the government will step in and start rationing it and will open the spigots of the Strategic Oil Reserves to both raise supply and cut demand thus forcing the Arabs to cut the prices. They are not going to stand by and take the wrath of angry voters this fall that are gonna be looking to place blame.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Yeah, this is going to get real ugly. With the rest of the world catching up to our standard of living, resources are going to get thin - and not just oil, as we know food is now becoming an issue even in developed countries. Resource wars, literally, will occur. I think China is going to really take front and center in this issue. 4 or 5 years from now, I don't think we will be living the 'fat, dumb, and happy' lifestyle that we have taken for granted for decades now. I think those day are permanently passing before our very eyes. The average american lifestyle is very resource depleting, especially in regards to oil and energy. The world can support a certain population living that way, but not billions living that way. We are crossing this threshold as formerly third world countries catch up to 'modern' life and the resources it consumes. I don't think of this as doom n' gloom, but rather reality.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Heck, I hope it goes to 300 a barrel in a month. (since that asteroid is taking forever getting here)
Well, here's a link that might interest you on the New World Energy Order. They DO predict oil at $300 a barrel.
Financial Sense Newshour: The Big Picture - Transcript - 04/26/2008

Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, here's a link that might interest you on the New World Energy Order. They DO predict oil at $300 a barrel.
Financial Sense Newshour: The Big Picture - Transcript - 04/26/2008
Well I'm sure at some point oil will reach 300 a barrel and probably a good deal more, eventually. When, your guess is as good as mine.

In the meantime, I'm not sweating it as much as other folks as I am a frugal man with large tracts of land, orchards, veggie gardens, no debt (as of last month), minimal monthly expenses, and little need to travel by car much. So, I'll just keep truckin along and maybe do a little more hunting this fall. I happen to enjoy my quaint and humble lifestyle, however for others, I suspect they would sooner jump out a window than to have to do without a big mac or survivor.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I'm sure at some point oil will reach 300 a barrel and probably a good deal more, eventually. When, your guess is as good as mine.

In the meantime, I'm not sweating it as much as other folks as I am a frugal man with large tracts of land, orchards, veggie gardens, no debt (as of last month), minimal monthly expenses, and little need to travel by car much. So, I'll just keep truckin along and maybe do a little more hunting this fall. I happen to enjoy my quaint and humble lifestyle, however for others, I suspect they would sooner jump out a window than to have to do without a big mac or survivor.
Wow, are you single?

Just kidding!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Before the congressional election of 2006 when the price went into free fall speculators were saying gas was going to fall back to 1990s prices. After the election, everything changed and we started this record run that is currently showing no sign of stopping (for now). The bubble will burst, its inevitable. I am not saying we will fall back to 1990s leveld but don't be surprised to see $2.50 again. I think a lot of it depends on the outcome of this election. Don't be surprised to see a major drop off in the months before the election because people forget easily and the powers that be don't want fuel prices to be an election issue.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Wow, are you single?

Just kidding!
Ha ha, well thing is, folks don't realize that "quaint and humble" are code words for long hours and hard work, so that usually dampens a large part of a social life. Unless of course canning parties are something that float your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies